Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2010, 11:48 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,112,361 times

Advertisements

@ Perlier

No comment as to what words come to mind when I see your posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 12:11 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,468,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
I see this argument all the time. My counterargument:

If you're 59, you should have been close to retirement anyways. You shouldn't be panicked about running out of UI benefits, because you should essentially have enough savings to grant you a slightly less comfortable retirement as it is. If you're 59 and don't have two nickels to rub together, you lived your life wrong.

Furthermore, if you're in your 50's, you should have 30 years of stellar credit references. Find a niche and start a business. Then you can hire 3 more of your 59 year old friends and give them jobs.
You see? It's that easy!

What a joke.

Old 12-14-2010, 12:31 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,587,033 times
No Jobs? Young Graduates Make Their Own - Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/No-Jobs-Young-Graduates-Make-nytimes-217264902.html?x=0 - broken link)

If some 20 year old kid can do it, someone pushing 60 can do it. Yes, it really is that easy. Except for those people who expect others to solve all their problems for them because it's "too hard" and they shouldn't have to do things like take care of themselves.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:19 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,453,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillz View Post
Many colleges are limiting enrollment since funding is getting scarce. Loans are getting harder to come by. Tuition is skyrocketing. Our school had a 32% increase in fee's last year and another 8% is coming this next year. If you are a re-entry student it could be more difficult. If you are a part time student you may have lower priority in registration so getting those few classes you need could be more difficult. By the way, if you don't pay your tuition by the deadline for the quarter you are dropped from all of your classes (at least at my school you need to have $$ each quarter). There used to be a good work study program here and many of student jobs to help defray the cost of the university, housing, books, etc. We had ONE opening in the last few weeks and got 175 applicants. We used to get 20. It isn't impossible but it isn't cheap.

I always hear people talk about how you may need to relocate for a job. That is great if you have the money to move. I moved across town 2 years ago and it cost me almost 6K not including a moving van.
I guess it depends on where you live. Where I am there are plenty of community colleges that offer tuition for around 4-6k per year. I don't know about you, but I consider that to be pretty cheap.

And I've never heard of anyone spending that much money to move across town. It cost me less to move across the whole state! The most I've spent on a move was about $450 which included the security deposit for the new apt.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:20 AM

3,006 posts, read 3,871,484 times
I prefer to call a spade a shovel.

Old 12-14-2010, 01:16 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,753,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
1) I have significant savings to absorb that, and investments that would carry me through
2) I'd also man up and do the right thing since I would no longer be useful.
I swore I wasn't going to post on this thread any more, but that remark has just pushed me too far. So just how do you measure 'usefulness'? Let's say you have a child (or grandchild as in my case) who is born with multiple physical problems that you know are going to require doctor visits every few months and a wheel chair for life. He's probably never going to speak in complete sentences. (At nearly 11 y/o he's just learned to say "Mama" and "Dada' and, though I have yet to hear it myself, his father tells me he also says "Gama".) So are you saying that, since he'll never be what you would call 'useful', we should just have let this beautiful child die as an infant? To that I say "KMAMF"!

Old 12-14-2010, 02:43 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,587,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
I swore I wasn't going to post on this thread any more, but that remark has just pushed me too far. So just how do you measure 'usefulness'? Let's say you have a child (or grandchild as in my case) who is born with multiple physical problems that you know are going to require doctor visits every few months and a wheel chair for life. He's probably never going to speak in complete sentences. (At nearly 11 y/o he's just learned to say "Mama" and "Dada' and, though I have yet to hear it myself, his father tells me he also says "Gama".) So are you saying that, since he'll never be what you would call 'useful', we should just have let this beautiful child die as an infant? To that I say "KMAMF"!
You are the queen of the strawman - sorry, straw-woman - on this site, there's no doubt about that. Every one you construct is its own unique little masterpiece, just ready to apply a match to.

Old 12-14-2010, 03:44 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,093,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
@ Perlier

No comment as to what words come to mind when I see your posts.
Didn't ask for your comment.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:10 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,793,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Another responsibility-dodger. I assume you would rather me beat around the bush or praise him for his actions? Why come on here and go on about how he has an aggravated suspended license? Did he really expect a pat on the back for that? I think it's ridiculous to say that being direct and blunt is offensive now. If facts are abrasive, well, you need to get some thicker skin. Here's another wooooooooooow for ya.
Thing is, you DO NOT know me in any way shape or form. Stop making yourself look more ignorant than you are young. Tell 15 million Americans that they are responsibility-dodgers as the the rest of the heartless and callous people with NO REAL LIFE EXPERIENCE do. My wife, as she sits here and reads this with me (41 - her 51) is correct when she says 27 is just young and dumb. I apologize if this seems a personal attack. But what's good for the goose is good for the gander. The wooooooooooooooooow line says it all. Flavor Flav? Really?

BTW, I NEVER once said that what happened was OK. And I CERTAINLY didn't ask for a pat on the back from you or anyone else. Seatbelt laws are simply an infringement on all our personal rights and a way for the states to take more of our money. If you feel any different you are BRAINWASHED. Your age is a MILD excuse. Stop harassing people you DO NOT know... TROLL.

Good night miss perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlier View Post
The word "strident" comes to mind.
Perfect description. And a few others I will refrain from.

For all andrea3821's bashing, I sure am still .

Old 12-14-2010, 11:22 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,112,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shroombeanie View Post
Thing is, you DO NOT know me in any way shape or form. Stop making yourself look more ignorant than you are young. Tell 15 million Americans that they are responsibility-dodgers as the the rest of the heartless and callous people with NO REAL LIFE EXPERIENCE do. My wife, as she sits here and reads this with me (41 - her 51) is correct when she says 27 is just young and dumb. I apologize if this seems a personal attack. But what's good for the goose is good for the gander. The wooooooooooooooooow line says it all. Flavor Flav? Really?

BTW, I NEVER once said that what happened was OK. And I CERTAINLY didn't ask for a pat on the back from you or anyone else. Seatbelt laws are simply an infringement on all our personal rights and a way for the states to take more of our money. If you feel any different you are BRAINWASHED. Your age is a MILD excuse. Stop harassing people you DO NOT know... TROLL.

Good night miss perfect.

Perfect description. And a few others I will refrain from.

For all andrea3821's bashing, I sure am still .

I was not bashing you. I was telling the other poster that he should not defend your actions, which were wrong. You never once said you were in the wrong previously, didn't seem to show remorse at all...and I honestly don't care if you want to admit it or not, but I think it's highly ironic and possibly moronic that the city would hire someone with a license that was just reinstated after something safety-related like a seatbelt violation and then refusing to pay the ticket or abide by the suspension. Even some pizza places would not hire someone with this kind of driving record.

I never said the unemployed were responsibility-dodgers, did I? I said the guy defending you was, and I was implying that you also were due to your own story of getting a ticket, not paying it and continuing to drive without a valid license. I never personally attacked you, I called you out on your actions, it's quite different. I'm sorry if you were offended. I was more annoyed with the other dude who thought he would defend you by essentially saying what you did is okay. It's not, it's not ethical, nor is it legal. The thread title is about calling things like they are, and that is what I did. I'm sorry if the facts offend you.

I've been laid off before and I didn't even collect UE b/c I got a job within a week. I actually have been in those shoes before, albeit not in this economy. Still, I maintain my position that if someone hasn't gotten some kind of job after 99 weeks, they need to take a serious look at themselves.

You can bash my age all you want, I am wise beyond my years although I tend to let my passion get the best of me at times. Call me immature, fine, but do not call me "young and dumb" or tell me I have no life experience. You don't know what I've been through. And yeah, I saw the reality show with Flavor Flav and the wooooooooow thing became a joke amongst some friends and when I read the previous posts, I thought "woooooooooow" to myself and thought it was the best way to express my amazement at the post(s). That does not make me "young and dumb."

Seatbelt laws are in place for the protection of all passengers and others involved in accidents. It's been proven that seatbelts worn properly greatly reduce the risk of being thrown from a vehicle during an accident. Likewise, backseat passengers wearing seatbelts are less likely to injure those in the front seats if there is an accident and they are held in place instead of being thrown forward. A human body becomes a dangerous projectile in an accident and if someone is thrown, it could cause injury to bystanders, God forbid they go through a window. These laws are in place for everyone's safety, not just b/c the state wants to collect money from tickets. I'm the last person to request gov't intervention but on some things, specifically public safety, I agree. You do not have the right to injure another person by not wearing a seatbelt.

I'm not "harassing" anyone. If you put something out there, such as illegal activity, you can't exactly expect for someone to not call you out on it, especially when you and others defend it.

Call me whatever names you'd like, it's no skin off my teeth. I'm sure I've been called it before. For every jackhole who wants to insult me, it makes me that much stronger.

Good luck with your new job. And FWIW, I was not being disingenuous when I said I hope the job is still there when you get your license back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies