Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 05:34 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,462,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Funny, I read my generation "the explorers" and think: "hey, that's me!". Then I read the next one and thought the same thing. Then I read all of them and thought the same thing too!

This is an awful lot like a horoscope; If you get complimented or other positive stimulis directed at you, of course you are gonna accept it mentally.
Yeah, actually even though I'm into astrology myself, a lot of that example was admittedly kinda general, although it does illustrate the basic idea and relationship between generations and wherever Pluto was at during that time. Here's a more "psychologically" oriented description, that's maybe a bit clearer re: the real differences between them.

Basically Pluto in Leo (the Boomer generation) is about the underlying drive to live life as a "creative experience", and Leo usually being a natural "leader", you also get a lot of sweeping social "changes" along with that (the "60's", etc.). Of course it also can mean some of the "less attractive" traits of Leo too, like the "look at me" self-importance & dominance in so many arenas that ticks off the later generations.

On the other hand, those born while Pluto was in Virgo (early Gen-X-ers) look at the world very differently, being much more attuned to things like health & the body, service, and have a discriminating (even painful?) awareness all of life's "imperfections", so sometimes they can also be more prone to depression, anorexia, bulemia, etc. (also think of their magazine "Details").

Following them is Pluto in Libra (the 2nd half of Gen X), and the priorities are different once again, with their drives revolving around the typical "Libra-esque" themes like life's "comforts", and especially the value of "relationships", their "posse" and "Friends" (just like the tv show they were very fond of).

Finally, Pluto in Scorpio (Gen Y), has the characteristic will, determination, passion and ambition usually associated with Scorpio's intensity and themes. But seldom mentioned is the fact that they also share an affinity for some of Scorpio's "darker" attractions, as well, and they generally see life in much "grittier" and more "competitive" terms than the much more easy-going Gen-X folks just before them.

Last edited by mateo45; 12-30-2010 at 05:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 04:59 PM

470 posts, read 1,037,029 times
Greatest Generation - Had to rebuild a decimated economy that their parents left behind, and fight an intense war against a dedicated and megalomaniacal enemy. They overcame their parents' excesses, became frugal, and set about advancing technology as fast as they could.

Baby Boomers - Inherited America's economy at its pinnacle, actively didn't participate in the economy, and lived in drug-fueled hippie communes while living off their parents' largess. Then immediately sold out their principles once Reagan promised them more money. They could've helped end the war in 'Nam if they'd spent more time voting and less time eating the brown acid.

Gen X - Why is this even called a generation? It's more of a ragtag group of kids whose selfish boomer parents forgot their pill one day. Apathetic latchkey kids, an in-between generation who hates the boomers for abandoning them and hates the Y'ers for not being abandoned enough. Inexplicably bitter, rarely helpful, and apathetic. I'm sure they'd be a lot more productive if they could stoop so low as to give a crap about what they're doing.

Gen Y - Has to rebuild a decimated economy thanks to the excesses of their parents, is currently engaged in two wars against a dedicated and megalomaniacal enemy, wants to develop new technologies as soon as our nation is back on its feet from the bad economy and those two wars. This is also the most entrepreneurial generation since the "Greatest Generation."

Their sense of entitlement comes from a little thing called "principle." "Principles" are certain moral convictions that you stand by because it's the right thing to do. Boomers had them until daddy's money ran out, and so sold theirs 30 years ago.

Y'ers have every right to feel entitled. It's not right to have your pension raided after decades of service, a practice Boomers began. It's not right to focus only on your own life span and not those of your children, as the Boomers repeatedly do. And it's not right to grab as many dollars as you can by any means possible, regardless of who you hurt.

Generation Y IS the exact opposite of the Boomers. That's a great sign for the future of this country. Boomers are just upset because they won't get the credit (stealing credit for another generation's accomplishment is also CLASSIC Boomer).

Old 01-05-2011, 12:29 AM

2 posts, read 2,138 times
You've inspired a blog post:
Millennials are lazy, unmotivated, afraid to try

Old 01-05-2011, 12:36 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
I disagree...the latest generation of adults didn't have to work for anything...it was the age of 'time out,' helicopter parenting, and 'everyone is special - here is a trophy for doing nothing...don't worry...we're not keeping score anyway!'

Every employer I talk to says these kids are a problem.
One of them stood up in a seminar and said she didn't like her older supervisor because 'he was bossy.' I said, "Duh. He's YOUR BOSS."
One HR psychologist I spoke with said that they tend to be the ones who say, "Gimme the high salary AND THEN I will show you what a great worker I am."
This generation has unparalleled levels of depression and mental health issues in college - culture shock from their bubble 'you're so special just for breathing' world.

They competitive high achievers will always do well, no matter what generation, but I have never encountered (in generations before mine or my own) such a bunch of entitled jackholes with sad work ethics and 'me me me me' in my life.

-M (stan4), age 34

Old 01-05-2011, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I disagree...the latest generation of adults didn't have to work for anything...it was the age of 'time out,' helicopter parenting, and 'everyone is special - here is a trophy for doing nothing...don't worry...we're not keeping score anyway!'

Every employer I talk to says these kids are a problem.
One of them stood up in a seminar and said she didn't like her older supervisor because 'he was bossy.' I said, "Duh. He's YOUR BOSS."
One HR psychologist I spoke with said that they tend to be the ones who say, "Gimme the high salary AND THEN I will show you what a great worker I am."
This generation has unparalleled levels of depression and mental health issues in college - culture shock from their bubble 'you're so special just for breathing' world.

They competitive high achievers will always do well, no matter what generation, but I have never encountered (in generations before mine or my own) such a bunch of entitled jackholes with sad work ethics and 'me me me me' in my life.

-M (stan4), age 34
Their sense of entitlement comes from a little thing called "principle." "Principles" are certain moral convictions that you stand by because it's the right thing to do. Boomers had them until daddy's money ran out, and so sold theirs 30 years ago.

Y'ers have every right to feel entitled. It's not right to have your pension raided after decades of service, a practice Boomers began. It's not right to focus only on your own life span and not those of your children, as the Boomers repeatedly do. And it's not right to grab as many dollars as you can by any means possible, regardless of who you hurt.

Generation Y IS the exact opposite of the Boomers. That's a great sign for the future of this country. Boomers are just upset because they won't get the credit (stealing credit for another generation's accomplishment is also CLASSIC Boomer).

Read the above, slower this time and maybe it will sink it.

I also ask you and the multitude of HR managers you speak of (I'm assuming you must know 1000s for your opinion to be so expertly given) about those currently prosectuting the war on terror. I myself have been deployed twice in my young life and have many friends still on active duty who have been deployed between 4 to 10 times. Basically being on 24/7 with 16 hour scheduled days for anywhere from 180 to 365 days plus. Is that laziness? Now as an officer in the United States Army I made anywhere from 2 to 3 times what civilian companies want to offer me. Even the enlisted make significantly higher wages. A 21 year old E-5 serving in Afghanistan right now makes around $45 K a year, plus no taxes.

So considering Gen Y is going to be taking over very soon, is it GEN Y that needs to change? Perhaps civilian employers need to learn a few things about leadership and figure out how to adapt to the new employees that will be taking over as the majority workforce in the next few years.

28 years old

Old 01-05-2011, 08:39 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,084,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokanejobseeker View Post

Gen Y - Has to rebuild a decimated economy thanks to the excesses of their parents, is currently engaged in two wars against a dedicated and megalomaniacal enemy, wants to develop new technologies as soon as our nation is back on its feet from the bad economy and those two wars. This is also the most entrepreneurial generation since the "Greatest Generation."
Generation Y IS the exact opposite of the Boomers. That's a great sign for the future of this country.
Maybe if they can put down the iphones for a minute.
And nice generalization on Gen Xers-my husband was of that group and he served overseas in Iraq for four years. But nice try on painting all of them as "lazy, apathetic, latchkey kids" as if that doesn't describe any of today's generation.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:03 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,211,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
And nice generalization on Gen Xers-my husband was of that group and he served overseas in Iraq for four years. But nice try on painting all of them as "lazy, apathetic, latchkey kids" as if that doesn't describe any of today's generation.
lol, you do realize iPhones are a major tool in business today, don't you?

Imagine, keeping up with technology that makes jobs easier rather than relying on paper and pencil and wasting time on pointless tasks that tech can now do for you!

Old 01-05-2011, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
Nice IPHONE dig.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:17 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,390,108 times
What an easy question to answer!

WE WERE RAISED BY IDIOT BABYBOOMERS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies