Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 03:19 AM

27,145 posts, read 15,322,979 times

Advertisements

Today Obama said that this year we have had , "the most productive Congress in decades".

I say it's the most destructive Congress in decades.

Our "representatives" have made the transition into Rulers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 03:22 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Last I heard the Republicans blocked everything, which is it?

Old 12-23-2010, 03:33 AM

2,211 posts, read 4,850,901 times
The last 6 days have seen a lot of movement on capitol hill. A lot of bills and causes that were long thought dead in the water have been passed and are ready to go.

I have been very dissappointed in Democrats as of late, but credit where credit is due, they fulfilled many campaign promises this week.

Now, if you didn't vote Democrat and don't particularly like their politics, then you might say they are "do nothing". But if you are President Obama or another democratic politician, and you fulfilled several campaign promises this year, some of them very tough and difficult to get thru, then yes, it is accurate to say that this has been the most productive Congress in decades.

If we want to be quick to point out when Congress is sitting on their hands, we must be fair and point out when they are doing their jobs too.

Old 12-23-2010, 03:40 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,369,433 times
It's just the typical gov program.....

Do it all at the end of the program (term).

I feel lame duck sessions should be negated so the new thieves can take office in January.

Old 12-23-2010, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
The last 6 days have seen a lot of movement on capitol hill. A lot of bills and causes that were long thought dead in the water have been passed and are ready to go.

I have been very dissappointed in Democrats as of late, but credit where credit is due, they fulfilled many campaign promises this week.

Now, if you didn't vote Democrat and don't particularly like their politics, then you might say they are "do nothing". But if you are President Obama or another democratic politician, and you fulfilled several campaign promises this year, some of them very tough and difficult to get thru, then yes, it is accurate to say that this has been the most productive Congress in decades.

If we want to be quick to point out when Congress is sitting on their hands, we must be fair and point out when they are doing their jobs too.

Productive and fruitful are two different things.
Obama'a idea of "productive" is foward movement of an (wrongful IMO) idealist agenda, not the protection and interests of the general public.

Old 12-23-2010, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Productive and fruitful are two different things.
Obama'a idea of "productive" is foward movement of an (wrongful IMO) idealist agenda, not the protection and interests of the general public.
You are welcome to your opinion. But the original quote in your OP wasn't "obama said this was the most productive congress in decades based upon what bluesjuke thinks the government should be focused on"

The president has an agenda full of items he wants to be completed. He completed many things on that agenda, some of which were thought to be impossible.

Whether or not you think they should have been done is a philisophical question. It has nothing to do with whether or not congrees has been productive. You even say above that Obama was successful moving foward an idealist agenda. Since Obama is the one that sets Obama's benchmarks, and not bluesjuke, then it is accurate for him to say he has been productive.

Unless you want to start a new thread saying Obama is leading the country in the wrong direction. There are only 2 million of those threads, why not add one more?

But if the question is "was congress productive" then the answer is yes. For good or for bad, they got stuff done.

Now if you want to elaborate on how congress is "the most destructive in decades" then please tell me what you feel was destructive, then we can discuss that point by point.

Old 12-23-2010, 04:23 AM

You're right, I was disagreeing with it being beneficial though.

Old 12-23-2010, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post

I feel lame duck sessions should be negated so the new thieves can take office in January.

I agree wholeheartedly.
Those that have been chosen to represent no longer ought not to be legislating.

BTW, the last lame duck Congress with the other party holding the majority passed nothing.

Old 12-23-2010, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
I agree wholeheartedly.
Those that have been chosen to represent no longer ought not to be legislating.

BTW, the last lame duck Congress with the other party holding the majority passed nothing.

Why? They were elected to a certain term. They need to complete that term, regardless of whether they were "re hired" or not.

By your logic, all high school seniors don't ever need to show up for class. I mean, they aren't coming back next year after all.

Old 12-23-2010, 04:58 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
With super majorities in both houses, it would have been impossible not to get his agenda passed.

Let's see....He weakened America with the START Treaty, he screwed up the Military with the repeal of DADT, he took control of the banking system, he took control of college loans, he took care of the unions with an $800 BILLION DOLLAR "stimulus" plan, which didn't work, he socialized our medical system, he took over two car companies.

Meanwhile, unemployment is approaching 10%.

It's funny that the number one priority to the American people was jobs. He didn't do anything to create jobs.

It's now up to the adults to roll some of this back starting in January.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies