Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 08:07 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,329,379 times

Advertisements

As if people needed another reason to dislike Obama, now he's happy that the Eagles have given Vick a second chance. Really? This is something the POTUS needs to be weighing in on? And more importantly, why?

With so many people (myself included) who can never forget the crimes that Vick committed against helpless animals... torture, electrocution, drowning, etc., should Obama really be throwing his opinion into the ring and opening himself up to more criticism?

I get the whole "he paid his dues to society" BS, but that doesn't warm my heart at night knowing that he's raking in millions of dollars just two years after being released from prison for animal cruelty charges that he pleaded guilty to. I'm not saying he doesn't have the right to earn money and live his life (although if it were up to me he would have gotten the death penalty for his crimes), but it doesn't make me happy either. Regardless, I don't think it was wise of Obama to throw his support behind Vick, a convicted animal torturer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 08:12 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,944,845 times
It is ironic that Obama signed the law against crushing videos and yet praises the 2nd chance given to Michael Vick. Seems a bit inconsistent. Of course, any number of professional athelete's get a 2nd chance after criminal convictions but what Vick did was particularly offensive to the sensibilities of most decent people.

Well good, maybe he just lost the votes of animal rights activists.

http://www.politico.com/click/storie...gned_vick.html

Old 12-28-2010, 08:17 PM

313 posts, read 596,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
It is ironic that Obama signed the law against crushing videos and yet praises the 2nd chance given to Michael Vick. Seems a bit inconsistent.
Why, does the law make the penalty life without the possibility of parole or death?

Old 12-28-2010, 08:21 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,352,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Careless View Post
Why, does the law make the penalty life without the possibility of parole or death?
No however, morals does.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:22 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,587,058 times
There was a thread about Vick on the dog forum recently...apparently he'll be able to (and has expressed that he intends to) get another dog once his probation is up. Despicable.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:36 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,662,617 times
As a dog owner and a member of PETA, the Humane Society, the ASPCA, and the Humane Farming Association, I have to say that I don't have a problem with Mike Vick playing for the Eagles. Hell, even the president of the Humane Society recently said it is OK for Vick to have a dog.

I believe in second chances for those who have served their time.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:57 PM

580 posts, read 2,293,464 times
I think professional athletes and other famous people should be held to the same standards of ordinary people and be treated the same. Though it's obvious it doesn't work that way.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:09 PM

948 posts, read 1,386,558 times
I agree that the POTUS dose not need to voice any opinion on this but people have a right to their opinion.
I would argue that I am glad that Victor got a high paying job so that he can pay for all the fines and restitution that he owes and not leave it to others to fit the bill
However after the bills are paid, well he world needs pooper scooper's to

Old 12-28-2010, 09:12 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,242,711 times
I'm not surprised with Obama: he never fails to live down to my opinion of him. If this guy had one intelligent or sane thought, the universe would probably explode. Seems we're safe.

Michael Vick is a perfect example of human sickness that is so disgusting he should have been executed. Second chances? Sorry, a sadistic sociopath cannot be reformed. It's innate. It's terribly dangerous. It starts with animals, then progresses to human victims. This guy will probably be torture-murdering women and children in the future, and the police will be told by his lawyers that they better not follow him or do surveillance because he'll hit them with a lawsuit. And they'll let him do whatever he wants--and we know what sadists want to do.

It's beyond comprehension that this disgusting thug will return to the Lottery World of sports pay. Let's make sure the sadistic sociopath continues to live a life of luxury because his genes deviate the most from human, making him the biggest thug on the sports field. This apparently is more valuable to society than anything else could possibly be, and must be rewarded with ultimate riches and luxury.

Again, Bizarro-World reigns and all semblance of right and wrong is reversed. Too bad Jeffrey Dahmer didn't play sports--he, too, could have had a free pass to continue to torture and murder young boys.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:14 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,416,518 times
It is extremely inappropriate for the POTUS to come out in favor of a man who is morally bankrupt and thinks pitbulls are for amusement. The POTUS brands himself with such statements.

Last edited by pommysmommy; 12-28-2010 at 09:15 PM.. Reason: POTUS, not patient. Must have been a Freudian slip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies