Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 06:48 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,195,632 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering who would walk into a purchase as big as a house without doing their homework on the HOA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 07:04 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,585,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
I was just wondering who would walk into a purchase as big as a house without doing their homework on the HOA?
Someone who had never had an encounter with an HoA before? I honestly wasn't aware of the power an HoA wielded or the rules they could concoct prior to that, and I own/have owned houses all over the damn country.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:27 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,849,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
Someone who had never had an encounter with an HoA before? I honestly wasn't aware of the power an HoA wielded or the rules they could concoct prior to that, and I own/have owned houses all over the damn country.
Are you saying you were not presented with a copy of the HOA Covenant when you purchased?

I don't understand this argument, that I hear often, when people say "I didn't know the power the HOA had."

USUALLY what they mean is "Yeah, I was given a copy of the convenant, but I wasn't planning on following the rules anyway. I was like SCREW THEM, he he he he heeee. Oh wait, you mean they can force me to follow the rules!! I CRY FOUL I CRY FOUL."

I think it's a poor argument to say "Yeah, I knew the rules, but I didn't think people were going to enforce them!"

Call the people in your old HOA nazis if you want. I mean, I am sure they were just as bad as the people who killed 6 million jews!! That's not a disrespectful statement to make at all!! *rolls eyes*, but really, I have been in several HOAs and I know that if the governing board got out of hand, the homeowners got together and voted them out. Democracy in action!

I found that the people who complained the most were the people that never bothered to show up to HOA meetings and excercise their powers to vote. Then they go around and say "You are all a bunch of Nazis!! Heil Hitler!! I'll never mow my grass!!! You might as well ask me to get into the oven!" I mean, that makes a whole bunch of sense, doesn't it Xanathos.

Last edited by JayBrown80; 01-03-2011 at 07:35 PM..

Old 01-03-2011, 07:32 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,849,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
We looked at condos in a complex where short sales and foreclosures were a clear problem. The HOA fees increased in one step from $250 to $400 monthly--primarily because of deadbeats. The more delinquencies, the higher the rate must go; the higher the rate, the more delinquencies.

This is a vicious circle, and once it starts it is difficult to stop. I don't think you can fault responsible people for trying to protect their homes against "sick condo" syndrome.
It really really lowers property vaules too, when a large percentage of homes in a community are short sales and foreclosures.

I have ranted about this often in the Austin forum, so I won't bore you all, but being an irresponsible home owner doesn't just hurt you, it cuts your neighbors legs off as well. People complain about HOAs, but frankly, I have seen the alternative, and it's not perfect.

It's sad we live in a society where HOAs are needed. There was a time people took pride in their homes, and wanted to keep them in tip top shape. Not anymore.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:53 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,878,302 times
Public posting of non-payees is illegal. As far as unreasonable rules, our HOA requires the new owner to receive a copy of the CC&R's, and must return a signed form stating you read and understand the rules, before escrow can close. If you don't like the rules after you signed that you read them, then you have only yourself to blame when you get in trouble for not following rules.
We work with people who have a hard luck situation, but you can only carry people so long. On foreclosures, we require the new buyer to pay all past due money before escrow can close.
We have never gone to court. Most people pay when they get the summons. Some how the summons makes it possible for them to find the money... Strange....!!

Old 01-03-2011, 08:19 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,807,239 times
Anyone else get the impression our country is slowly becoming a third world nation?

Old 01-03-2011, 10:13 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,585,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
Are you saying you were not presented with a copy of the HOA Covenant when you purchased?

I don't understand this argument, that I hear often, when people say "I didn't know the power the HOA had."

USUALLY what they mean is "Yeah, I was given a copy of the convenant, but I wasn't planning on following the rules anyway. I was like SCREW THEM, he he he he heeee. Oh wait, you mean they can force me to follow the rules!! I CRY FOUL I CRY FOUL."

I think it's a poor argument to say "Yeah, I knew the rules, but I didn't think people were going to enforce them!"

Call the people in your old HOA nazis if you want. I mean, I am sure they were just as bad as the people who killed 6 million jews!! That's not a disrespectful statement to make at all!! *rolls eyes*, but really, I have been in several HOAs and I know that if the governing board got out of hand, the homeowners got together and voted them out. Democracy in action!

I found that the people who complained the most were the people that never bothered to show up to HOA meetings and excercise their powers to vote. Then they go around and say "You are all a bunch of Nazis!! Heil Hitler!! I'll never mow my grass!!! You might as well ask me to get into the oven!" I mean, that makes a whole bunch of sense, doesn't it Xanathos.
I wasn't given a copy of the HOA rules and regulations book (all six hundred and nineteen pages of it) until after I had the keys to the house. The contract stated something about deed restrictions and an HoA, but my previous encounters with HoA's were limited to a very basic subset of rules regarding keeping your house maintained.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:16 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,924,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
I wasn't given a copy of the HOA rules and regulations book (all six hundred and nineteen pages of it) until after I had the keys to the house. The contract stated something about deed restrictions and an HoA, but my previous encounters with HoA's were limited to a very basic subset of rules regarding keeping your house maintained.
Did you request one? It was actually your responsibility, as it is any one who Buys into an HOA develpoment, to read it before closing.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:48 AM

13,403 posts, read 28,721,568 times
Yet another reason I would NEVER buy where there is an HOA....

After reading the link in the original post I can't imagine anyone wanting to be neighbors with such shallow people, there is no reason to be cruel like those two women celebrating about the one's moving out...

Yes I understand that by not paying your dues you are creating a hardship for the ones that do pay, but IMO, each case needs to be reviewed individually not just a blanket statement that all behind are deadbeats...

I would think most behind on their dues because they have fallen victim to the economy wouldn't even try to use the clubhouse for MahJong & canasta

Old 01-04-2011, 08:50 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,936,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Yes I understand that by not paying your dues you are creating a hardship for the ones that do pay, but IMO, each case needs to be reviewed individually not just a blanket statement that all behind are deadbeats...
While that sounds like the right thing to do, in reality it just causes problems. If you allow each case to be reviewed individually, you are allowing some sort of subjectiveness into the process. At some point, that will result in real or imagined preferential treatment, where one person is allowed to slide a few more months while another in very similar circumstances is pressed hard for the debt. Complaints, fights, and lawsuits will follow from that point, and the association will lose even more money fighting all that. Nothing good can come from that. It's better all around if there is a known policy, and if the HOA adheres strictly to that policy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies