Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 08:17 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,178,043 times

Advertisements

One ticklish area is the Aid to single mothers. She has to choose between accepting the welfare system, with it's Medicaid, Food Stamps etc, or find work, probably at minimum wage while figuring out how to tend her children while she works. Usually she opts for the handout, even though it may be a good bit less than she could earn. I understand how she might feel, even though I would prefer working, I might be tempted to stay home too.

The solution is hard. Force her to get a job? Often she is unskilled, so she has to be trained. And, let's be frank about this, there are those that don't want to go through the bother of keeping to a work schedule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 08:49 AM

1,332 posts, read 1,989,444 times
Default I wish you luck

To the person that has problems with their family member...

I feel bad for your family...I know this situation well...It is a lifetime of frustration for the whole family...

The worse part is the individual will appear just fine to the emergency room doctors and the social workers...As a matter of fact, they may find him even to be likeable...And when they send him back out on the streets...You get another yet another call from the police, or someone else to tell you "Hey, I saw your uncle (or brother) and he was acting nuts..Bothering everyone on the street"...Or, he's in the emergency room again....

And, no matter how you try to reason with them,..Or how much you give them, or set them up in a new place...Or, whatever else you do...They are simply self-destructive in some way...

The unfortunate part of this is that there are groups of people that do take advantage of our social benefits systems...And, this is what makes others so angry about it...

And, I am sure that if a good study was made, there would be common elements in their claims that could be identified, investigated and the fraud stopped...But, the politically correct crowd would never allow this...It would be considered profiling...Though in reality it would only be profiling frauds (not any particular ethnic or religious groups).

Last edited by migee; 07-16-2007 at 08:50 AM.. Reason: correction

Old 07-16-2007, 09:28 AM

1,887 posts, read 7,938,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy7fo View Post
So true. Most people have no clue how many people suffer from mental illness and can't function. Whats really funny is listening to the jesus freaks and right-wing religous nutbags proclaim their values and turn their backs on the homeless because they perceive it as handouts or welfare. Just compassion for a fellow human being......

I would fashion myself to be something of a Jesus Freak.

In my case, as with most others, we help people from the 'bottom up'- our efforts to help the community starts with individuals and groups helping each other. What I DON'T agree with government handouts to individuals whose progress isn't monitored or documented in anyway so there's never any way to tell if this person is even benefitting or not. That trickle down effect hasn't worked and will never work. Look at our system today, do you call that a success?

*And I would also like to know, for those who actually watched the video, what do you say in response to all of those people who turned down the opportunity to work (even though they were holding 'will work for food' signs)? Aside from obvious illness and other disabilities- this just shows a terrible example of the American value system.
I personally don't have a problem with helping people- but as cliche as it sounds, I prefer to give someone a hand up not a hand out.

Old 07-16-2007, 11:25 AM

50,344 posts, read 63,928,555 times
Default Need institutional care..

When I was growing up there were no homeless people because the mentally ill were cared for in institutions. There is help for folks who need it, but the mentally ill, or hopelessly addicted, reject the help for whatever reason.. they don't want to, or can't, abide by rules and can't fulfill work obligations etc.

I guess eventually they will all just die, and since we are a compassionate people, we are compelled to do something so we don't have to step over dead bodies in the streets.

Old 07-16-2007, 06:38 PM

308 posts, read 711,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanatical View Post
Hmm, it's funny how you mentioned this because a long time ago, I saw a story about a squeegee worker. Apparently, what he does is that he stands on a corner, and clean people's car windows for any amount people are willing to give him.

Here's the kicker: He is very wealthy.

When asked, the explanation made everything clear. A person people may consider wealthy would make roughly $20-30 per hour and work something like eight hours a day; which would translate to $160-$240 a day or $2,240-3,360 every two weeks and

This guy made an average of $1.68 per car and over the course of an eight hour day, he would make $1,153 a day! That translate to $16,142 every two weeks and about $420K per year (if he were working 7 days a week). To summarize, this guy made an corporate executive-level salary...washing windows.

As a matter of fact, here's the video: Window Washers

I watched your video.

Did you watch the video I posted and what is your opinion?

PS
I am very unhappy with you, because I was ready to quit my job and go buy a squeegee.

Old 07-16-2007, 06:52 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,626,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanatical View Post
Hmm, it's funny how you mentioned this because a long time ago, I saw a story about a squeegee worker. Apparently, what he does is that he stands on a corner, and clean people's car windows for any amount people are willing to give him.

Here's the kicker: He is very wealthy.

When asked, the explanation made everything clear. A person people may consider wealthy would make roughly $20-30 per hour and work something like eight hours a day; which would translate to $160-$240 a day or $2,240-3,360 every two weeks and

This guy made an average of $1.68 per car and over the course of an eight hour day, he would make $1,153 a day! That translate to $16,142 every two weeks and about $420K per year (if he were working 7 days a week). To summarize, this guy made an corporate executive-level salary...washing windows.

As a matter of fact, here's the video:
Window Washers
Good grief, how do so many people let that scary looking guy wash their car windows, what with that beard and long hair? I wonder if he shaved and got a short haircut if he would make more money, maybe a lot more?

Old 07-16-2007, 07:36 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,900,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
One ticklish area is the Aid to single mothers. She has to choose between accepting the welfare system, with it's Medicaid, Food Stamps etc, or find work, probably at minimum wage while figuring out how to tend her children while she works. Usually she opts for the handout, even though it may be a good bit less than she could earn. I understand how she might feel, even though I would prefer working, I might be tempted to stay home too.

The solution is hard. Force her to get a job? Often she is unskilled, so she has to be trained. And, let's be frank about this, there are those that don't want to go through the bother of keeping to a work schedule.
Most every mother recieving AFDC (TANF in some states) is required to be at work or school (college) at least 30 hours per week unless there are extrenuating circumstances, so usually it's not a choice of whether or not she goes to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
When I was growing up there were no homeless people because the mentally ill were cared for in institutions.
Or they lived with one relative or another. And likely there were many less drug addicts (in porportion) than we have now (I include them in the mentally ill group)

Old 07-16-2007, 08:42 PM

1,499 posts, read 4,831,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American_Libertarian View Post
John Stossel examines homelessness in America.

Should we help able bodied homeless or are we creating a culture of dependency that makes it difficult for people to improve their lives?

YouTube - ABC 20/20 Freeloaders - Creating Dependency Segment

When I was 22 years old I saw a "homeless" person with a "will work for food" sign in a snow storm. My heart ached for the man. I went to the store and purchased a jacket, gloves, and food.

I drove back to the corner and gave him what I had purchased. He said "thank you", but didn't seem appreciative?

I assumed he would have eaten some of the food immediately, but he stuffed the food in his bag and didn't eat a thing.

As I drove away perplexed I looked in my rear view mirror and the man had begun to walk to the far corner of parking lot. I was curious so I drove around the block and came back.

The man got into a brand new Chevy Corvette!!! I kid you not!

I was shocked and disgusted.

John Stossel did a fantastic report and I agree.
Oh, Stossel is right! Many homeless people make $4,000 a month by begging (tax free) and seceretly have Corvettes and live in luxury condos.

Honestly, Liberalism has allowed bums (lazy, able-bodies people) to live comfortably off the taxpayers. Take San Francisco, where bums get credit cards from the City and "live la vida loca" off taxpayers.... well, if you live in San Francisco, you are probably a liberal and ok with it...

But overall, these guys live better than a lot of hardworking, poor Americans. It is disgraceful taxpayers have to fund laziness.

Old 07-16-2007, 08:49 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,211,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana-Guy View Post
Oh, Stossel is right! Many homeless people make $4,000 a month by begging (tax free) and seceretly have Corvettes and live in luxury condos.

Honestly, Liberalism has allowed bums (lazy, able-bodies people) to live comfortably off the taxpayers. Take San Francisco, where bums get credit cards from the City and "live la vida loca" off taxpayers.... well, if you live in San Francisco, you are probably a liberal and ok with it...

But overall, these guys live better than a lot of hardworking, poor Americans. It is disgraceful taxpayers have to fund laziness.
San Francisco publishes a program explaining how any city can increase their homeless population:

How to increase your city's homeless population - San Francisco Business Times:

Old 07-16-2007, 10:12 PM

1,354 posts, read 6,376,567 times
I forgot to add to my previous post. When I was in 11th grade, my girl scout troop was selling the last of our cookies (yes I was a dork, lol). We decided to spend one meeting going door to door in our leaders neighborhood. It was a nice area, very middle class. About 2 blocks away, a man that looked really familiar bought 3 boxes from us. Our leader asked if we recognized him, and everyone said yes but we didnt know where from. She said he is the guy on the overpass (like 6 blocks away) with the sign that says 'Why lie I need a Beer.' Sure enough it was him. Being so young, we were shocked that anyone could do this. He had his long hair pulled back and was dressed nicely the day he bought the cookies. It was at that point that I decided not to give people money, I would donate to a legitimate charity, or donate goods to the local clothes closet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies