Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 06:08 AM

1,194 posts, read 727,017 times

Advertisements

You have hundreds of illegals being admitted into every hospital on daily basis, you have hundreds giving birth on daily bases and every working stiff is paying for it including government and all the snowflake politicians still fighting to keep this corrupt system going and they still want to welcome illegals.

I have a friend who's wife works in NY she is administrative assistant in one of the hospitals, she said that 8 out of 10 people admitted have no insurance or on government assistance, and this is not your average elderly people who need the care, this is illegals, junkies, and freeloaders and the sad thing is, they walk right in and they get care, while people with insurance filling out sh@t load of papers as though they were applying for a house mortgage.

This system is so broken down it's not even funny, for example my brother who's self employed insurance went from 10k to 15k with supposedly affordable Obamacare. Just think about it, you pay insurance premiums to let's say anywhere from 500-1,500 a month and you get one physical a year which you can get at any walking clinic for $250 for a full blood workup. Now if you end up in the emergency room or you need a minor surgery done you get banged up paying thousands in deductibles, so the bloated bill you get from the hospital let's say 50k and you look at what you paid in your deductible, you saying "thank god for the insurance" but the insurance company will only pay the hospital 5k and everyone is happy including you because you just got screwed and you still smiling. But if you didn't have insurance, you be on the hook for 50k.

I was speaking to a pharmacist the other day, he said he has a friend in Canada and he said medication that cost in Canada $50 here you pay $900 for the same exact medication.

It's "effing" sickening, and if things don't change our kids and their kids will not be able to afford a yearly physical with all the bs that is going on.

Old 05-12-2017, 06:17 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,602,310 times
Big Pharma. The US subsidizes the world that controls price.
Big Pharma. reformulate-repatent-withdraw old
Monopoly practices like Shkreli
Big Hospital conglomerates
Deliberate hiding of price.
Deliberately having out of network staff and services in in-network hospitals AKA balance billing.
Malpractice lawsuits
Over use of the E Room

Old 05-12-2017, 06:24 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,128,823 times
Naw. Having been on the inside for TWO DECADES, I can tell you that the culprits are United Healthcare ( I made damn good money consulting for them), Aetna, Cigna and any other for-profit healthcare payer you care to throw into the mix.

Old 05-12-2017, 06:34 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
You have hundreds of illegals being admitted into every hospital on daily basis, you have hundreds giving birth on daily bases and every working stiff is paying for it including government and all the snowflake politicians still fighting to keep this corrupt system going and they still want to welcome illegals.

I have a friend who's wife works in NY she is administrative assistant in one of the hospitals, she said that 8 out of 10 people admitted have no insurance or on government assistance, and this is not your average elderly people who need the care, this is illegals, junkies, and freeloaders and the sad thing is, they walk right in and they get care, while people with insurance filling out sh@t load of papers as though they were applying for a house mortgage.

This system is so broken down it's not even funny, for example my brother who's self employed insurance went from 10k to 15k with supposedly affordable Obamacare. Just think about it, you pay insurance premiums to let's say anywhere from 500-1,500 a month and you get one physical a year which you can get at any walking clinic for $250 for a full blood workup. Now if you end up in the emergency room or you need a minor surgery done you get banged up paying thousands in deductibles, so the bloated bill you get from the hospital let's say 50k and you look at what you paid in your deductible, you saying "thank god for the insurance" but the insurance company will only pay the hospital 5k and everyone is happy including you because you just got screwed and you still smiling. But if you didn't have insurance, you be on the hook for 50k.

I was speaking to a pharmacist the other day, he said he has a friend in Canada and he said medication that cost in Canada $50 here you pay $900 for the same exact medication.

It's "effing" sickening, and if things don't change our kids and their kids will not be able to afford a yearly physical with all the bs that is going on.
Well, since the very first sentence of your post was an outright lie, I did not read further.

There are not hundreds of illegals being admitted to every hospital on a daily basis and giving birth on a daily basis. The #1 hospital in the US births about 50 babies a day (2005 numbers, but I'm sure it did not increase by more than 4x in 10 years, and I'm sure the rest of "every hospital" has less).
SOURCE: http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/s...wscolumn6.html

But to answer your question, "who do I blame?":

I blame politicians on both sides for allowing the healthcare industry to run unchecked.
The system is broken, but it's not because of illegals, junkies or freeloaders. They certainly don't help bring costs down, but the real problem is the system.

If you want to fix healthcare, it will take DECADES of fortitude to stick to a plan to undo the mess we have, and ultimately we need to have a system that is not incentivized by profits. I'm a huge capitalist, and because of that, I understand the drivers of capitalism. Increase Revenue and decrease cost. It works in almost every free-market, but healthcare is an exception, because the product they are selling is human health and well-being, and can't be managed on a P/L statement without compromising the mission.

While I fully admit, ACA had many problems, it was a good first step in the LONG path to insuring that all Americans have health coverage that is affordable, and effective. I hate that there is a 4-8 year set-back, but I have faith in the American people that we'll eventually get it right. Hopefully it will happen in my lifetime, not holding my breath (I'm 49, so it would have to happen in the next 30-50 years.)

Old 05-12-2017, 06:35 AM

5,998 posts, read 3,737,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Big Pharma. The US subsidizes the world that controls price.
Big Pharma. reformulate-repatent-withdraw old
Monopoly practices like Shkreli
Big Hospital conglomerates
Deliberate hiding of price.
Deliberately having out of network staff and services in in-network hospitals AKA balance billing.
Malpractice lawsuits
Over use of the E Room
Overuse of the emergency room is BECAUSE of the things you put before it.

Old 05-12-2017, 06:37 AM

45,585 posts, read 27,215,643 times
Government has their hands in the revenue stream.

In fact, there are too many hands in the pot, and it is over-regulated.

Go back to direct doctor/patient relationship.

Old 05-12-2017, 06:38 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,066,081 times
I just returned from a trip to Nogales, Mexico. I was going to have the taxi driver take me and my roommate to the International Red Cross Clinic ($5-7 for a Dr. visit) and he dropped us off at a clinic that was even cheaper. 40 peso's ($3.25) per Dr. visit.

My roommate got the expected multi-vitamin shot in the butt, along with a list of prescriptions, and given our aliments are similar, I told the Dr. to duplicate the order, one for him, one for me! $38 for all those meds, meds I could have bought even without prescriptions!

I also needed some COPD meds, as the co-pay for my COPD meds jumped from $47 to $100, and the last time in Mexico I paid $39 for each, and this time they dropped to $32!

Stocked up enough to last me a year! Both middle fingers to Walgreen's/CVS!

Those lucky devils living close to the Mexican border could care less what's happening with Obamacare or TrumpCare!

In a good part of the world, you can go to a pharmacy, and you need not ask "Big Daddy" if you can buy this or that, you merely buy it, even antibiotics, without a prescription. But in the U.S. you need to go to "Daddy", as, afterall, you're too stupid to make those decisions on your own.

And why do the illegals feel like they shouldn't be charged for medical services? In Tijuana there's the Tijuana General Hospital, which caters to all those who can't afford to pay! And why should it be any different in the U.S.?

Old 05-12-2017, 06:38 AM

19,815 posts, read 9,376,760 times
A combination of "freeloaders" AND big (healthcare) business AND politicians who don't want to change things. I think they are all equally to blame -- and, yes, also the American voters for continuing to put up with this by continuing to elect the Democrats and Republicans who want don't want any real change in the system unless these benefit the rich OR the poor. (It would not that difficult to institute a system that would benefit to everyone, without showing partiality or penalizing any specific group of citizens.)

Last edited by katharsis; 05-12-2017 at 07:58 AM..

Old 05-12-2017, 06:40 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,502,847 times
"Who do you blame for Health Care costs being so expensive."

It's the AM so I'll assume you shaved while looking in the mirror this morning?

The rest of the first world developed nations citizens figured this out over 60 years ago and voted for enacted changes so,.......that would leave us with only one conclusion to draw.........er..........wouldn't it?

Old 05-12-2017, 06:43 AM

5,998 posts, read 3,737,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Well, since the very first sentence of your post was an outright lie, I did not read further.

There are not hundreds of illegals being admitted to every hospital on a daily basis and giving birth on a daily basis. The #1 hospital in the US births about 50 babies a day (2005 numbers, but I'm sure it did not increase by more than 4x in 10 years, and I'm sure the rest of "every hospital" has less).
SOURCE: http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/s...wscolumn6.html

But to answer your question, "who do I blame?":

I blame politicians on both sides for allowing the healthcare industry to run unchecked.
The system is broken, but it's not because of illegals, junkies or freeloaders. They certainly don't help bring costs down, but the real problem is the system.

If you want to fix healthcare, it will take DECADES of fortitude to stick to a plan to undo the mess we have, and ultimately we need to have a system that is not incentivized by profits. I'm a huge capitalist, and because of that, I understand the drivers of capitalism. Increase Revenue and decrease cost. It works in almost every free-market, but healthcare is an exception, because the product they are selling is human health and well-being, and can't be managed on a P/L statement without compromising the mission.

While I fully admit, ACA had many problems, it was a good first step in the LONG path to insuring that all Americans have health coverage that is affordable, and effective. I hate that there is a 4-8 year set-back, but I have faith in the American people that we'll eventually get it right. Hopefully it will happen in my lifetime, not holding my breath (I'm 49, so it would have to happen in the next 30-50 years.)
I have a sneaking suspicion that it will be 4 years at the most.

I agree with everything you said in this post. The free market works for almost everything BUT healthcare. We need to have a publicly supported system for basic, non elective, healthcare. It's the only way we can clean up this mess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies