Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 03:15 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,768,357 times

Advertisements

I came across a good article that interviews David Frum. He goes into detail about what is wrong with the current state of conservatism holding onto the Republican Party. I'm sure some will call him a RINO, but I find his ideas and insights aligning with mine.

Check it out here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 03:20 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,663,920 times
I appreciate David Frum too. He sincerely wants to have rational discussions about solving the nation's problems. Unfortunately, I think he gets little or no respect from many in the base of the Republican Party. They're in war mode and have little tolerance for those who want to work with Democrats - or even listen to them.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I appreciate David Frum too. He sincerely wants to have rational discussions about solving the nation's problems. Unfortunately, I think he gets little or no respect from many in the base of the Republican Party. They're in war mode and have little tolerance for those who want to work with Democrats - or even listen to them.
I don't even think his main premise is to work with the Democrats, although he is way more open to that possibility, but his main focus is to breath some ideas and solutions into the Republican Party that are actually innovative and conservative.

Frum brings up a great point about how one of the firsts things Republicans want to put up for a vote, is to restore the cuts to Medicare that were part of Obamacare.

How is increasing spending on healthcare by $500 billion a conservative idea?

Old 01-06-2011, 03:30 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,663,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
I don't even think his main premise is to work with the Democrats, although he is way more open to that possibility, but his main focus is to breath some ideas and solutions into the Republican Party that are actually innovative and conservative.
He's been a vocal supporter of the NoLabels organization, whose purpose is to bring Democrats and Republicans together for calm, rational discussions about solving the real problems America faces - not made up problems such, as, oh - the President attending a Superbowl game!

Old 01-06-2011, 03:32 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,851,014 times
When Frum dared to imply the Repub brand had lost it's Conservative way, he became a leper to what has taken over the GOP. It will likely be a while til the Party returns.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:39 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,748,514 times
I have argued many times that anyone, including Frum who views the conservative movement as monolithic is way off base. There are many different types of conservatives along a spectrum. Frum no more can claim to represent conservatives than Rush Limbaugh. Frum's characterization of conservative principles are off base. I agree with some of what he says and disgaree with other things he says. Other conservatives will agree to a greater or lesser extent. For anyone to argue that there is a problem with the conservative movement, much less to know what it is, is pretty arrogant.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
I have argued many times that anyone, including Frum who views the conservative movement as monolithic is way off base. There are many different types of conservatives along a spectrum. Frum no more can claim to represent conservatives than Rush Limbaugh. Frum's characterization of conservative principles are off base. I agree with some of what he says and disgaree with other things he says. Other conservatives will agree to a greater or lesser extent. For anyone to argue that there is a problem with the conservative movement, much less to know what it is, is pretty arrogant.
David Frum is a former speechwriter for George W. Bush. He worked at the American Enterprise Institute. He's a movement conservative.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:42 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,748,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
David Frum is a former speechwriter for George W. Bush. He worked at the American Enterprise Institute. He's a movement conservative.

So what? Do all movement conservastives think alike? Hell, there are many movement conservatives who don't consider GW one of them.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
So what? Do all movement conservastives think alike? Hell, there are many movement conservatives who don't consider GW one of them.
Do you think increasing Medicare spending by $500 billion is a good idea?

Old 01-06-2011, 07:47 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,935,966 times
Well, what should we believe? Frum, who is NO conservative, well, he may be one of those inside the beltway elites...OR...the Nov 2nd election..which shows there is nothing at all wrong with conservatism, in fact, it is on the rise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies