Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 10:40 AM

855 posts, read 1,173,195 times

Advertisements

David Frum on the GOP’s Lost Sense of Reality -- New York Magazine

Last edited by chariega; 11-28-2011 at 10:42 AM.. Reason: MODS: Please delete...I missed the others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 10:45 AM

2,472 posts, read 3,198,096 times
There's a reason liberalism flourished during the Enlightenment. Fiscal conservatism is debatable, but there's no reason for social conservatism in a modern society. We look like fear-ridden tribal cro magnons. The level of ignorance, dishonesty, and downright malice in right wing society today is astounding for the 21st century.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:47 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
There's a reason liberalism flourished during the Enlightenment. Fiscal conservatism is debatable, but there's no reason for social conservatism in a modern society. We look like fear-ridden tribal cro magnons. The level of ignorance, dishonesty, and downright malice in right wing society today is astounding for the 21st century.
I see both the right and left wing as just as bad as the other.

In my mind, anyone who would voluntarily label themselves Republican or Democrat is fairly ignorant in today's political climate.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:50 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I think the GOP started it slide into absurdity when it nominated Mr. Goldwater.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:51 AM

2,472 posts, read 3,198,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I see both the right and left wing as just as bad as the other.

In my mind, anyone who would voluntarily label themselves Republican or Democrat is fairly ignorant in today's political climate.
I agree with that as well.

I am constantly criticised and questioned for my apathy towards politics and my decision not to vote, but I haven't heard one valid argument why I should have faith in any of these people.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:54 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Quote:

I am constantly criticised and questioned for my apathy towards politics and my decision not to vote, but I haven't heard one valid argument why I should have faith in any of these people.
I have never voted for a republican or democrat in a national election in my life, in spite of people telling me I am 'throwing my vote away'.

The hardcore democrat and the hardcore republican are both most likely an uneducated person who would rather blindly follow the rhetoric given by someone else than actually think for themselves.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:11 AM

2,366 posts, read 1,647,193 times
Most Americans already know that Washington is broken, dems and cons.
Allow me to quote Krum from this same piece and the bigger issue at hand:

Quote:
America desperately needs a responsible and compassionate alternative to the Obama administration’s path of bigger government at higher cost.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:21 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,872,800 times
Excellent read. But be warned, there will probably be a slew of right wing posters who will denounce Frum as a traitor to the GOP for voicing these concerns.

I think it's been obvious over the last decade or so that the GOP was heading for a split. Increasingly, in order to win elections, Republicans have had to give way to their extreme base, who grew impatient with being used every election cycle by the GOP only to have their cherished issues (gay marriage, abortion, et al) disregarded completely until the next election cycle. It took them a while, but they finally figured it out, and we have seen this wing of the GOP exerting undue influence on the party for the last three years now. The problem Republicans face now is that the younger generation doesn't share the far right's social agenda platform, and minority populations are growing which will be at the expense of the traditional GOP base.

Now the GOP is in the unenviable position of trying to placate the far right while simultaneously trying to hang onto moderate and independent voters. Unfortunate for them, because the two sides are incongruous, but they cannot win without both. I suspect this will be the last election cycle with the current coalition we have come to know as the GOP. I would really, really like to see a moderate party emerge from the wreckage.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:27 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
It was in 18th century as well, and likely to be in 24th century, if we make it that far.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:35 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,439,670 times
Quote:

The only thing you need have faith in is that if you allow the GOP to take control of the White House and retain control of the House by not voting for their opposition, which just so happens to be the Democrats at this point in time, you risk the very future of this country. Republicans have put this nation on an ever deepening spiral into Third World status with their repressive economic policies. There is almost no middle class anymore.

Read Republican Senator Tom Coburn's report on Subsidies for the Rich & Famous.
Dear Taxpayer,

The government safety net has been cast far and wide, with almost half of all American households now receiving some form of government assistance. But most taxpayers will be asking why when they learn who is receiving what.

From tax write-offs for gambling losses, vacation homes, and luxury yachts to subsidies for their ranches and estates, the government is subsidizing the lifestyles of the rich and famous. Multimillionaires are even receiving government checks for not working. This welfare for the well-off – costing billions of dollars a year – is being paid for with the taxes of the less fortunate, many who are working two jobs just to make ends meet, and IOUs to be paid off by future
generations.

This is not an accidental loophole in the law. To the contrary, this reverse Robin Hood style of wealth redistribution is an intentional effort to get all Americans bought into a system where everyone appears to benefit. ...

We should never demonize those who are successful. [aside: that is not what Occupy or the 99% are doing. G-d love the rich; more power to 'em. But ...] Nor should we pamper them with unnecessary welfare to create an appearance everyone is benefiting from federal programs. ...

The government’s social safety net, which has long existed to catch those who are down and help them get back up, is now being used as a hammock by some millionaires, some who are paying less taxes than average middle class families. Comprehensive information on the full range of government benefits enjoyed by millionaires has never been collected previously. This report provides the first such compilation. What it reveals is sheer Washington stupidity with government policies pampering the wealthy costing taxpayers billions of dollars every year.
And while some Democrats have gone along with some of the legislation that has led to this outcome, they are not by and large the party that has been promoting them for the past 4 decades.

But the bottom line is that if we stand any chance of reversing these policies, the only party actually working towards the goal of fixing this dangerous inequity is the Democrats.

Do you want to see the damage to this country fixed?

Vote for every Democrat on your ballot even if you have to hold your nose while doing so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies