Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2011, 11:26 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,422,743 times

Advertisements

Why do you guys think "libs" would want Palin dead? Death is the worst event that could ever happen to a person, and liberals are human beings too, not monsters.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:44 AM

7,185 posts, read 4,771,925 times
You can't put people in jail for being jerks.

I just hope that they conduct their "protests" from a location that does not interfere with the services. I'm all for free speech, but these families have the right to mourn and bury their loved ones with dignity and decorum.

I don't understand why this particular group likes to do things like that. They're hurting their own image.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:52 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,937,609 times
I've said it before in other threads about these clowns but if they made an appearance at the funeral of one of my friends or family members some of them would be heading to the hospital or the morgue. I'd do the prison time standing on my head with a smile.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:53 AM

7,185 posts, read 4,771,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Be honest. Would you cheer if it had been Palin instead of Giffords?

I'd be curious to see how many dems secretly wish it was.
What makes you say such a thing? That's a horrible thing to contemplate.

Is that how you think of your opposition?

For the love of God, get a sense of proportion, man.

I'm an independent voter, and I think that Democrats would be delighted to see Palin run for president because that would guarantee the defeat of the GOP ticket. Don't believe me, ask Karl Rove.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:04 PM

1,598 posts, read 1,937,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yman97 View Post
Nobody deserves to lose the right to free speech. It is, after all, one of the primary beliefs in which are country was founded. In my opinion, they are hateful, cowardly, and terrible human beings. That doesn't mean that they don't get to enjoy the rights that are granted to them by our Constitution.

With freedom comes responsibility and also consequences. Yes, they have the right to free speech but also the responsibility for the actions that their inflamatory rhetoric may inspire. It would just be a darn shame if their constitutionaly protected antics inspired someone to injure or kill them.

I think that it is BS that these people get special police protection. They are not making a political statement rather a religious one which means that this group shouldn't get state provided protection and at the root of it their sole purpose is to hurt and insult people. This is not the same as an anti war protest or a tea party protest.

Protecting the Wesboro Church is no different than when the KKK goes to the town square and holds a rally comfortably behind a wall of police or the Black Panthers trying to intimidate white voters in 2008 in front of the police. Crap like that needs to stop. If we quit giving groups like that police protection they would quit antagonizing people because deep down bullies like these groups, (KKK, Westboro, Black Panthers, etc...) are all cowards.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:11 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,694,225 times
Absolutely not. I'm not even going to bother reading any of that garbage, but even the most offensive, hateful people have the right to be heard. It's alarming to me that anyone would even suggest removing that right, as doing so would require free speech to qualify for a subjective analysis to first determine if it was acceptable. Just imagine where that would go.

In addition, words need to have a willing audience. People are free to ignore sources that are objectionable, stupid, or even for no reason at all.

With respect to the Christian nation question, also no. No because it's not a true Christian nation, no because it presumes that the question originates from a credible source in the first place.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:18 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,111,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Where is the WBC located?
Topeka Kansas

Old 01-10-2011, 12:21 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,723,191 times
Quote:

As a knee-jerk liberal I would be terribly saddened if Palin were shot. Not only would she and her family suffer, but I absolutely hate the idea that violence is seen as a remedy to anything. I disagree with Palin on just about everything, but would hate to see her injured or killed by a crazy person.

And it makes me sad that you think that the average liberal would believe otherwise. We're not devils--we're people just like conservatives are people.

Last edited by Marlow; 01-10-2011 at 12:50 PM..

Old 01-10-2011, 12:37 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,610,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Unfortunately, you're probably right. I wasn't talking about what will happen, only what I think should happen. I still support free speech, just not abusive speech. I think the First Amendment goes too far in that it protects abusive speech.

Calling Obama a moron - fine
Saying Obama should be shot - jail

Telling your supporters to "stop the Democrats" - fine
Telling your supporters to shoot the Democrats - jail

Saying God condemns homosexuality - fine
Picketing at the funerals of nine-year-old girls - jail

See what I mean?
What you say makes sense but there are way too many gray areas. Defining what is hate speech and what isn't is way too subjective. When you open up this can of worms what can essentially happen is that the government can consider whatever they want as hate speech. "Oh you don't agree with the government? go to jail. You think the laws are unfair? go to jail." etc etc etc.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:05 PM

852 posts, read 1,358,196 times
Quote:

Wow, is your view that distorted as to think that most of people regardless of political affiliation would want to see someone assassinated? I am a liberal and that comment is just plain wrong. I may not agree with Palin and her views but that doesn't mean that I'd rather see her dead.

You need help if you honestly think that is a true statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies