Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we restrict gun sales from those with a history of mental illness?
Yes, no one with a history of mental illness needs to own a firearm. 28 41.79%
Depends, I don't want dangerous people with guns, but the law would have to be worded well 32 47.76%
No, I think mentally ill people should have the right to bear arms. 7 10.45%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 07:26 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,169,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by liebknecht View Post
No that is pointless, they can just get somebody else to buy them for them. What is needed is a national ban on firearms for anyone except police officers. We must think of a way to convince the American public to give up their right to bear arms. That is the only way to stop shooting sprees like the one in Arizona I'm afraid.
Wishful thinking. Banning the public from owning a firearm only serves to ban law-abiding citizens from owning a firearm. To criminals, it's just another law in their way.

As for the premise that mentally unstable individuals should not have guns. The question begs: Do we ban all people with mental illnesses from exercising their second amendment rights? Do we just ban people with certain illnesses? Do we create "levels" of mental illness and prevent ones past a certain point from owning a gun?

Some food for thought; ADHD is a mental illness that is becoming more and more common. People with ADHD are relatively harmless for the most part... with the exception of a minor percentage who have problems keeping their tempers and rage in check and thus are extremely violent. Ban them all or ban just some of them?

Old 01-10-2011, 07:26 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Not everyone with a mental illness is dangerous. In fact, most mentally ill people are not dangerous.
Obviously we're talking about different degrees of mental illness. We're not talking about someone with severe OCD here....but real symptoms of being a nutcase. Just can't go around selling those folks firearms. I'm an Arizonan, and i'm a Second Amendment guy, but damn...there had to be some limits.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:27 AM

7,184 posts, read 4,766,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I would not be comfortable with my medical records being recorded on a Federal level and open for access by local police, government and, most likely private sector retrieval. I am already annoyed by my firearms purchases being recorded and sent to the Federals. My health and my firearms status are both my business and not the government or anyone else’s.

On a practical level onerous background checks do not limit gun ownership but only drive the purchaser to the underground market. This is the same as all prohibited substances.

I agree. As long as there is a demand, there will be a supply.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:29 AM

657 posts, read 697,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I can't describe those countries as particularly free, and the past century gives plenty of examples of what happens when people are defenseless against a government run amok.
No offense, but most of those countries rank way higher on the democracy index than the US.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:29 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Obviously we're talking about different degrees of mental illness. We're not talking about someone with severe OCD here....but real symptoms of being a nutcase. Just can't go around selling those folks firearms. I'm an Arizonan, and i'm a Second Amendment guy, but damn...there had to be some limits.
What should those limits be?

This guy had expressed some pretty crazy things,but from all we have seen,none of it was actually threatening violence to anyone....even in the college he wasn't violent,he was nutty.

People were scared of him but should that be grounds enough to have someone committed to a mental institution??

Old 01-10-2011, 07:30 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Just found out that this guy had spent time in a mental institution for dangerous mental behavior. So why oh why was this idiot allowed to own a gun?

I'm a gun owner, I love guns, I support the ability for mentally stable individuals to own firearms and to have a concealed deadly weapons permit.

But AZ's laws say that you can still get both of those things, even with the long mental history that this idiot had.

Is it time we institute a national policy to fix this? I'm not sure how its worded, but look at Virginia Tech, the Tuscon shootings, and several others. All perpetrated by people with known mental conditions and issues.

After Tucson: Why Are the Mentally Ill Still Bearing Arms? - TIME

I voted DEPENDS

because what exactly is a mental illness

up untill reciently, autism was called childhood schitzophrenia, homos were considered mentally ill, ...and liberalism is still a mental illness

Old 01-10-2011, 07:37 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
Quote:
No offense, but most of those countries rank way higher on the democracy index than the US.
Democracy does not equal freedom. Quite the opposite as you get the "tyranny of the majority."

Old 01-10-2011, 07:50 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
Wishful thinking. Banning the public from owning a firearm only serves to ban law-abiding citizens from owning a firearm. To criminals, it's just another law in their way.

As for the premise that mentally unstable individuals should not have guns. The question begs: Do we ban all people with mental illnesses from exercising their second amendment rights? Do we just ban people with certain illnesses? Do we create "levels" of mental illness and prevent ones past a certain point from owning a gun?

Some food for thought; ADHD is a mental illness that is becoming more and more common. People with ADHD are relatively harmless for the most part... with the exception of a minor percentage who have problems keeping their tempers and rage in check and thus are extremely violent. Ban them all or ban just some of them?
And thats why I myself voted depends. I could see this issue being used by the anti gun lobby as a means of restricting guns from a lot of people that don't need it.

But its obvious now that we've had mentally deranged people who have a history of mental illness who have legally bought guns, one of which even got a concealed deadly weapons permit, and then go out and massacre people. That needs to be changed, IMO.

For instance, this man was denied military service, why? Because he was mentally unstable.

Do we need more than this to determine that an individual needs to be banned from owning a gun?

I agree, "mentally ill" is a broad statement, and the law would have to be worded and aimed directly at specific people with a long history of mental conditions that pose a threat. This guy had been reported by teachers, the military, mental health experts, and people in his classes as being disturbed well before Saturday.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:59 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times
I believe the shooter failed the drug test to join the military,not due to his mental condition.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:00 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,911,959 times
Quote:
Okay, if we spin that further, where will it end? Should students carry guns on campus, should children carry guns on their way to kindergarten? That is pure madness, don't you think?
Of age students on college campuses with CCW permits should be able to carry. That whole "gun free zone" at VA Tech sure worked. Maybe the .gov can put up a force field next time.

Kindergarteners? Really? Their teachers? Yes. Licensed teachers should be allowed to carry. I'm not talking about a woman who carries in her purse. I'm talking about carrying on the person in a concealed holster.

Madness? A few carrying teachers could have ended the CO school shooting in a matter of minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies