Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 09:48 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,922,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maureensacks View Post
Is the politics of hate climate underlying cause of todays tragedy or is it an isolated incident?? What do you think??
Though the Pima County sheriff discussed the political climate and vitreolic rhatoric he made no direct causal associaton between it and the actions of today's shooter. Therefore your thread is based on a false premise. Please feel free to prove otherwise with a link from the PCSD.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:50 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,922,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
......Oh, and this state is very right wing so of course you are going to get the Sarah Palin, Glenn Bleck supporting kind of hate crap.
I've never heard or read of either Palin or Beck endorsing either hate or violence. Please stop spreading lies; or provide direct links of them stating they endorse bloodshed. One or the other.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:52 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,996,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Though the Pima County sheriff discussed the political climate and vitreolic rhatoric he made no direct causal associaton between it and the actions of today's shooter. Therefore your thread is based on a false premise. Please feel free to prove otherwise with a link from the PCSD.
What on earth are you talking about? It's "vitriolic rhetoric" and of course the OP put forth a legitimate question. You do not have to participate in threads if you don't want to.

The sheriff made some valid points and, while very applicable to AZ, they are also applicable to this entire nation.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:54 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,649,029 times
"When you look at unbalanced people, how they respond to the vitriol that comes out of certain mouths about tearing down the government. The anger, the hatred, the bigotry that goes on in this country is getting to be outrageous," said the sheriff. "And unfortunately, Arizona I think has become sort of the capital. We have become the mecca for prejudice and bigotry."
When asked by a reporter if Giffords being shot could have been motivated by "prejudice and bigotry," Dupnik responded, "All I can tell you is that there's reason to believe is that this individual may have a mental issue. And I think that people who are unbalanced are especially susceptible to vitriol."
While speaking, the sheriff said that himself it included, "it's not unusual for all public officials to get threats." However, he said the sentiment doesn't come without consequences.
"And that's the sad thing of what's going on in America," he explained. "Pretty soon, we're not going to be able to find reasonable, decent people who are willing to subject themselves to serve in public office."
(Click here for the latest developments unfolding following the incident.)

After Rep. Gabrielle Giffords was shot in the head and number of others were wounded or killed in a shooting in Arizona on Saturday, Pima County Sheriff Clarence Dupnik said that the state has "become...
After Rep. Gabrielle Giffords was shot in the head and number of others were wounded or killed in a shooting in Arizona on Saturday, Pima County Sheriff Clarence Dupnik said that the state has "become...

#bing_module { width:580px; } #bing_content { } .sw_b { background:#FFFFFF none repeat scroll 0 0; border:1px solid #ACBABD; float:left; font-size:115.9%; margin:0 1px 0 0; padding:0.2em 0.2em 1em; white-space:nowrap; } .sw_b input.bing_pixie { cursorointer; } .sw_b input { border:0 none; color:#333333; float:left; font-size:100%; font-weight: 400; font-family: Sans Serif, Segoe, Arial, Helvetica; height:1.4em; line-height:1.2em; margin:0 0 -0.8em; padding:0.2em 0.64em 0 0.44em; width:27.0333em; } .sw_b .sw_qbtn { background:#F9761D url(http://s.huffpost.com/images/bing/j.png (broken link)) repeat scroll 0 0; cursorointer; height:24px; margin:0 0 -12px; overflow:hidden; padding:24px 0 0; width:24px; } .bingHeader { width: 576px; height:50px; float: left; background: black; } .bingItem, .bingItemActive, .bingItem a, .bingItemActive a { float:left; width: 191px; height: 33px; border-top: 1px solid #B8B8B8; border-bottom: 1px solid #B8B8B8; background: url('http://s.huffpost.com/images/bing/bing_pixie.gif?v4') repeat-x; background-position: 0pt -674pt; cursor: pointer; text-align: center; text-decoration: none !important; line-height: 33px; color: black; font-size: 14px; } .bingItemActive { width: 190px; border-top: 1px solid #B8B8B8; border-bottom: 1px solid #B8B8B8; color: white !important; background: url('http://s.huffpost.com/images/bing/bing_pixie.gif?v4') repeat-x; background-position: 0pt -477pt; } .bing_search_keyword { color: black; padding: 5px; } .videoItem { float: left; width: 174px; } .viRightMargin { margin-right: 27px; } .itemsBlock { width: 545px; float: left; } .textItem { float: left; width: 94%; } .bntNext { float: left; width: 5%; } .bingImage { height: 120px; } .webTitle { width: 520px; font-size: 16px; text-decoration: underline; color: #0033cc; } .webDescription { width: 520px; font-size: 16px; line-height: 20px; text-align: justify; } .webUrl { padding: 10px; color: #888; }

956 posts, read 1,113,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
I think the Democrats have definitely created a climate of hate with their vitrol directed at those who are different from them (i.e. the rich, the religious, the conservative, or the hardworking)
Same could be said of the conservatives and their anger at those who are different from them: the rationals, the liberals, the college educated population, etc... this is fun, your turn again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I've never heard or read of either Palin or Beck endorsing either hate or violence. Please stop spreading lies; or provide direct links of them stating they endorse bloodshed. One or the other.
LOL, haven't you been following the news? The infamous crosshairs map?

Old 01-08-2011, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
The Pima County Sheriff is simply trying to divert from the clear fact that a U.S. Congressman was shot in his jurisdiction. Sheriff Clarence W. Dupnik is simply a political hack with a badge.

Luckily it wasn't an illegal who did the shooting since Dupnik earlier made news saying he would not enforce Arizona's controversial immigration law.
Or maybe, quite possibly, he's just a decent guy with a brain!

I know it's hard to conceive of this when AZ has consistently ranked dumbest state in the country, but just maybe!.....

Old 01-08-2011, 10:09 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,747,845 times
Quote:
LOL, haven't you been following the news? The infamous crosshairs map?

You know the left did one too right?

Old 01-08-2011, 10:12 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,502,064 times
It's not any worse now then it's ever been. By most measures, it's probably better.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:12 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,192,216 times
Quote:
He is right. I live in AZ and I can say he is right. I am not at all surprised this happened. What surprises me is why more of it hasn't happened.

This place is crazy. I want out but that's another story.

This woman's office was vandalized for voting YES on healthcare reform and she'd received threats. Guns abound here. I could get a gun with very little trouble if I wanted to - not so where I lived before.

Anyway, he was tapping into something larger but, for some reason, AZ seems to be getting a lot of attention for being some microcosm of the craziness that has ensued in the US. I think AZ deserves it.

Oh, and this state is very right wing so of course you are going to get the Sarah Palin, Glenn Bleck supporting kind of hate crap.

And you being a left winger would hate the state and blame the right for everything ~duh~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies