Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 04:04 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,052,604 times

Advertisements

I knew it. I just knew the Democrats were going to use this incident to push the Fairness Doctrine, even though so far there is every indication that this nutjob shooter has nothing to do with anything right wing, the Tea Party, talk radio or anything else conservative nor can anyone in office point to any specific thing that set him off. The shooter hates religion, burns the American flag, likes the Communist Manifesto and Mein Kampf, was arrested twice on drug and graffiti charges, has a shrine with a skull and candles, a former classmate described him as "quite liberal" and somehow the bozos like Paul Krugman make this into some right wing thing.

"The shooting is cause for the country to rethink parameters on free speech, Clyburn said from his office, just blocks from the South Carolina Statehouse. He wants standards put in place to guarantee balanced media coverage with a reinstatement of the Fairness Doctrine..."

Clyburn: Words can be danger | The Post and Courier, Charleston SC - News, Sports, Entertainment

I get that people in Congress are grieved by this incident but putting their foot in their mouth in a knee jerk reaction doesn't give us a lot of confidence in them.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:08 AM

764 posts, read 597,724 times
No Fairness Doctrine, and get rid of the FCC too.

But the shooter's ideology isn't exactly clear. He has leanings towards both sides it seems...

Old 01-11-2011, 04:18 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,408,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I knew it. I just knew the Democrats were going to use this incident to push the Fairness Doctrine, even though so far there is every indication that this nutjob shooter has nothing to do with anything right wing, the Tea Party, talk radio or anything else conservative nor can anyone in office point to any specific thing that set him off. The shooter hates religion, burns the American flag, likes the Communist Manifesto and Mein Kampf, was arrested twice on drug and graffiti charges, has a shrine with a skull and candles, a former classmate described him as "quite liberal" and somehow the bozos like Paul Krugman make this into some right wing thing.

"The shooting is cause for the country to rethink parameters on free speech, Clyburn said from his office, just blocks from the South Carolina Statehouse. He wants standards put in place to guarantee balanced media coverage with a reinstatement of the Fairness Doctrine..."

Clyburn: Words can be danger | The Post and Courier, Charleston SC - News, Sports, Entertainment

I get that people in Congress are grieved by this incident but putting their foot in their mouth in a knee jerk reaction doesn't give us a lot of confidence in them.

"The shooting is cause for the country to rethink parameters on free speech"

OK, let's see now...hmmm, thinking, thinking...what would be an appropriate free-speech parameter for Congress to enact?

I've got it!

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Yep, that should do it.

Old 01-11-2011, 05:53 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,981,416 times
Not a chance, especially with the GOP House, but I'm sure the FCC will try to do something and then the GOP should shut them down for good.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:00 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,827,375 times
The Constitution does not remove an individual's responsibility for the damage done by their exercise of free speech. I can, while exercising my right to free speech, call for a riot. If the riot happens I should be held responsible for the damages.

All freedom is attached to responsibility. Too many people seem to want to be free to say or do anything without having to take any responsibility for the results. No society can tolerate that situation.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:06 AM

1,890 posts, read 2,656,041 times
Whatever happened to the age-old saying, "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me."?

You people are such spineless jellies. Grow a pair, already.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:14 AM

8,145 posts, read 6,538,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post

So all day everyday here in SC we have radio show after radio show filled with nothing but hateful racist host and hateful racist callers stirring up nut cases like this guy and you just love it right? Well we are tired of being victims of right wing extremist hell bent on causing a genocide in this country. We will protect ourselves from this. We are trying to beg the right to stop now. But you want. That also has consequences.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:18 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,981,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
So all day everyday here in SC we have radio show after radio show filled with nothing but hateful racist host and hateful racist callers stirring up nut cases like this guy and you just love it right? Well we are tired of being victims of right wing extremist hell bent on causing a genocide in this country. We will protect ourselves from this. We are trying to beg the right to stop now. But you want. That also has consequences.
You need to read my new thread that documents exactly which side is fomenting hate and engaging in inflammatory rhetoric.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:07 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,036,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
As a South Carolinian, I disagree with your assertions that we have "radio show after radio show filled with nothing but hateful racist host and hateful racist callers". A bit of hyperbole, perhaps?

Old 01-11-2011, 08:23 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,196,890 times
I'm against any form of censorship.
No law will ever change the minds of Americans, or any other people.
American minds are full of hatred, intolerance, and bigotry.
No law will change that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies