Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 08:25 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,191,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
So all day everyday here in SC we have radio show after radio show filled with nothing but hateful racist host and hateful racist callers stirring up nut cases like this guy and you just love it right? Well we are tired of being victims of right wing extremist hell bent on causing a genocide in this country. We will protect ourselves from this. We are trying to beg the right to stop now. But you want. That also has consequences.
That describes the AM dial from coast to coast.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:25 AM

8,145 posts, read 6,534,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
As a South Carolinian, I disagree with your assertions that we have "radio show after radio show filled with nothing but hateful racist host and hateful racist callers". A bit of hyperbole, perhaps?
You disagree because you agree with what they say. South Carolina is every bit a mecca of prejudice and bigotry like Arizona. I have heard many statements from host and callers that at best have underlying racist tones. At worst I have heard a direct racial joke about the President and nothing was said by anyone in South Carolina to condemn it. A gun store commercial states this." you've got the right and when Obama comes you'll be alright". I know you have no problem with that either do you? On the rus cassell show the host stated nothing was wrong with jim crow laws. Do you agree with that? I can name more but why bother because you and the rest of the right wing in South Carolina cant hear anything about Obama that you would call racist or to far. Don't tell me about the right wing in this state. and their hateful gun threat filled airwaves.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
That describes the AM dial from coast to coast.
The right knows exactly what it is doing. The left has no one that will point directly at them and say you need to go to jail because your hate speech caused a death or many deaths.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:36 AM

1,895 posts, read 3,417,563 times
Quote:
You disagree because you agree with what they say. South Carolina is every bit a mecca of prejudice and bigotry like Arizona. I have heard many statements from host and callers that at best have underlying racist tones. At worst I have heard a direct racial joke about the President and nothing was said by anyone in South Carolina to condemn it. A gun store commercial states this." you've got the right and when Obama comes you'll be alright". I know you have no problem with that either do you? On the rus cassell show the host stated nothing was wrong with jim crow laws. Do you agree with that? I can name more but why bother because you and the rest of the right wing in South Carolina cant hear anything about Obama that you would call racist or to far. Don't tell me about the right wing in this state. and their hateful gun threat filled airwaves.
i see your point, but my reasoning for allowing them to continue wouldn't be because i agree with them, but rather, it's their right to have an opinion, and share it.

what's stopping folks like you from getting a radio station and spewing your opinions to oppose those that you disagree with? instead of taking away rights of others, why don't people excersise their rights and try educated folks to their liking??

Old 01-11-2011, 08:38 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,218,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
"The shooting is cause for the country to rethink parameters on free speech"

OK, let's see now...hmmm, thinking, thinking...what would be an appropriate free-speech parameter for Congress to enact?

I've got it!

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Yep, that should do it.
AWESOME! ! ! Wish I'd thought of that.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerjitsu View Post
i see your point, but my reasoning for allowing them to continue wouldn't be because i agree with them, but rather, it's their right to have an opinion, and share it.

what's stopping folks like you from getting a radio station and spewing your opinions to oppose those that you disagree with? instead of taking away rights of others, why don't people excersise their rights and try educated folks to their liking??
So because I cant be a radio host I should just shut up and let them spill hate and not even post about it. I don't want to take away their precious right to hate speech but it should be called what it is hate speech. When they influence someone to kill they should go to jail.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:41 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,561,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I knew it. I just knew the Democrats were going to use this incident to push the Fairness Doctrine, even though so far there is every indication that this nutjob shooter has nothing to do with anything right wing, the Tea Party, talk radio or anything else conservative nor can anyone in office point to any specific thing that set him off. The shooter hates religion, burns the American flag, likes the Communist Manifesto and Mein Kampf, was arrested twice on drug and graffiti charges, has a shrine with a skull and candles, a former classmate described him as "quite liberal" and somehow the bozos like Paul Krugman make this into some right wing thing.

"The shooting is cause for the country to rethink parameters on free speech, Clyburn said from his office, just blocks from the South Carolina Statehouse. He wants standards put in place to guarantee balanced media coverage with a reinstatement of the Fairness Doctrine..."

Clyburn: Words can be danger | The Post and Courier, Charleston SC - News, Sports, Entertainment

I get that people in Congress are grieved by this incident but putting their foot in their mouth in a knee jerk reaction doesn't give us a lot of confidence in them.

Last edited by Melvin.George; 01-11-2011 at 09:05 AM..

Old 01-11-2011, 08:42 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,218,878 times
Quote:
So all day everyday here in SC we have radio show after radio show filled with nothing but hateful racist host and hateful racist callers stirring up nut cases like this guy and you just love it right? Well we are tired of being victims of right wing extremist hell bent on causing a genocide in this country. We will protect ourselves from this. We are trying to beg the right to stop now. But you want. That also has consequences.
Oooohhh, effing poor me! Call yourself a victim and beg for mercy from the idiots. Ever hear of an off switch? Try XM/Sirius radio, literally dozens of choices for sanity.

If you choose insanity you have only yourself to blame. Stop wasting oxygen with your self victimization.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:43 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,878,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lariat View Post
Whatever happened to the age-old saying, "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me."?

You people are such spineless jellies. Grow a pair, already.
LOL....I posted that once on another forum and was told it isn't true....

Trying to explain to people who have live by emotion that a word or name only has the power you give it is pointless.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
You my friend, and I would use that term as loosely as possible, post some of the most outrageous bigotry.
And you my friend try to hide what you feel but I see through it which is why you feel the way you do about me. Now prove your accusation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies