Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you like to see Democrats and Republicans sit together during the State Of The Union address?
Yes 38 54.29%
No 30 42.86%
Not sure 2 2.86%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 07:05 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
LOL! That's a good one. The Dems of today are nothing like those you named. How about keeping up to date, Pelosi, Reid, Dean, and a number of other wackos. They are an insult to people like Martin Luther King jr and President Kennedy.

hussein obama is the ONLY leader of ANY country who disparages the very country he was elected to represent. He has disrespected the Supreme Court and private citizens. He has also called the people he is supposed to serve, the enemy, another ugly first.
So you disagree with Nancy Pelosi, Howard Dean, Harry Reid, and Barrack Obama, yet all Democrats are evil in some way?

That about sums up your view?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 07:07 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,208,954 times
Quote:
I bet you would like people to forget the type of people the prez and the Dems are but it's not going to happen.

honestly, I would like all of them, including the repubs, to all grow up and take care of what is best for our country instead of all the fighting
I am so sick of politicians!

Old 01-13-2011, 07:37 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
NO! I like to see the distinction of what each party responds to, like clapping when hussein obama disrespected the Supreme Court Justices.
You mean you're not able to predict it ahead of time? Give me a break. It's like watching 535 Pavlovian dogs.

It's pretty clear from the results of our poll that Republican supporters prefer division while Democrats and independents would like to at least attempt to get along with others once in a while.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:59 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
One more thing: If you see your political opponents as your enemy or as "evil", then you're a part of the problem, not the solution.

Old 01-14-2011, 12:00 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,283,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Some members of Congress are proposing that Democrats and Republicans sit mixed together during the State Of The Union as a symbol of unity. I think this is a great idea. I don't expect it to truly change the direction of political discourse, but I do think it would be a positive thing to do. I never really understood the purpose of sitting divided anyway.

From vitriol to civility: Should parties sit together at State of the Union? - CSMonitor.com
Don't know about that, but I think they should have a camera in the rear showing all the stabbings in the back that will probably be going on.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:31 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Quote:
Some members of Congress are proposing that Democrats and Republicans sit mixed together during the State Of The Union as a symbol of unity. I think this is a great idea. I don't expect it to truly change the direction of political discourse, but I do think it would be a positive thing to do. I never really understood the purpose of sitting divided anyway.

From vitriol to civility: Should parties sit together at State of the Union? - CSMonitor.com
After some thought my answer is NO. The reason is it would be fake, if they wanted to sit together they would do so without prompting. Believe me as a whole they do Not want to sit down together. Have the Repubs or Dems ever done so in the past, not that I recall, no reason to start now. And as the Repubs love to proclaim, they are the Party of No, so let it be. Until we have a Party that actually represents the People I would prefer that the other two Parties stay away from each other as much as possible and maybe keep the rhetoric to a dull roar. Maybe seperate states would work better and they can get together in Washingtoon whenever they are ready to stick it to us once again.
Casper

Old 01-14-2011, 06:32 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
Absolutely!

Old 01-14-2011, 08:31 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,733,875 times
Quote:

Sure. And maybe they can walk in two by two and holding hands. And at the end of the speech Obama can lead them in a rendition of Kum-ba-ya. Give me a break!

Old 01-14-2011, 08:38 AM

Quote:
You mean you're not able to predict it ahead of time? Give me a break. It's like watching 535 Pavlovian dogs.

It's pretty clear from the results of our poll that Republican supporters prefer division while Democrats and independents would like to at least attempt to get along with others once in a while.
Right. Dems love bipartisanship when they are in the minority. When they're in the majority--not so much.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:42 AM

By the way, this Democrat-inspired idea is not about unity but about optics. When the members are all seated together rather than by parties it will be easier to create the illusion that all are in agreement with the specifics of Obama's speech.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies