Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 11:18 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sights_Set View Post
Besides, giving power back to the states would foul up their agenda to destroy American sovereignty for power and profit.
Oh, for goodness sakes! Whose agenda? Who, or what, do you think the federal government is? Some nameless, faceless, vast conspiracy movement doing things behind the scenes to destroy their own children's future?

The federal goverment is US..The People, and it's bureaus and agencies can do NOTHING without being directed to by OUR representatives in the Congress.

I think you really need to either quit listening to Glenn Beck or take a class in Government 101. The "government" is not your enemy, unless you think your neighbors and fellow citizens are out to get you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 11:29 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Oh, for goodness sakes! Whose agenda? Who, or what, do you think the federal government is? Some nameless, faceless, vast conspiracy movement doing things behind the scenes to destroy their own children's future?

The federal goverment is US..The People, and it's bureaus and agencies can do NOTHING without being directed to by OUR representatives in the Congress.

I think you really need to either quit listening to Glenn Beck or take a class in Government 101. The "government" is not your enemy, unless you think your neighbors and fellow citizens are out to get you.
Listen to this...people tell you who they are if we listen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iivL4...eature=related

Old 01-14-2011, 11:33 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Listen to this...people tell you who they are if we listen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iivL4...eature=related
So? The People still willingly elected him in a free and open election, didn't they?

If he's part of the conspiracy, so is everyone who voted for him and that's a LOT of people.

Old 01-14-2011, 12:04 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Are States going to take back the power, that they once had?......
Some, yes, we've already seen a push to reclaim some of their jurisdiction of enumerated Constitutional powers. However, I don't see them pushing to regain much of it. States are too attached to the teat of funding from the federal government for support of social welfare programs.

Old 01-14-2011, 12:06 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
So? The People still willingly elected him in a free and open election, didn't they?

If he's part of the conspiracy, so is everyone who voted for him and that's a LOT of people.
Not really. Voters are largely like cattle and they move in the direction they are prodded.

Old 01-14-2011, 12:19 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Not really. Voters are largely like cattle and they move in the direction they are prodded.
I hate that. I really hate that. And I'm not coming down on you, Lifelong, but I think that all of us fall victim to this kind of thinking. "I'm an individual, I think for myself, all of the rest of you who don't agree with me obviously haven't thought about it, you are just cattle obeying the prod." I don't think voters are like this at all. People disagree with me, not because they haven't thought about it, but because they evaluate issues in terms of their lives and their experiences, and we're all different. We all have different levels of knowledge of certain issues, and we have different viewpoints about what those issues really are. But I do think we'd be better off respecting the arguments of the people we disagree with, rather than trying to belittle those people.

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Are States going to take back the power, that they once had?

States have been pushed aside for the last 100 years. Will we see a move to take back what is rightfully theirs? Sovereignty and independence. Or will our push to a more Conservative Federal government, give it back, without the States even asking.

I sure hope so.

The feds keep gaining more power over the states, and part of this comes from the feds holding the states hostage thru unfunded mandates, and sitting back and accepting ever expanding federal powers.

Just look at the two examples of interstate highway funds and education. My state was threatened one year by the feds, that if they did not lower the BAC for a DUI conviction, then they would withhold federal highways funds. States are being threatened all the time by the feds, demanding the states make some change in their state education program, or have federal education funds withheld.

The problem is that the federal government is taking too much in taxes away from the state and local governments, making it difficult for the states to provide even the most basic of services, so the states have to kneel down and beg the feds for some of their tax money.

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Slowly but surely witht eh fedral budget being cut ;the states will in fact have to get off the pork train.With that come smore local and sate control.

Old 01-14-2011, 12:20 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,077,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Technically, the Federalists lost.
Oh?

So... we're still operating under the Articles of Confederation then?

When somebody prefaces a comment with "technically" you have just been offered the concession that "actually" the result was the opposite of what the comment asserts.

"Technically, the Federalists lost," is an admission that "Actually, the Federalists won."

Old 01-14-2011, 12:21 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,077,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sights_Set View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but last time I checked people or groups that advocated for states rights were placed on some sort of MIAC report list by the Feds as potential domestic extremists/terrorists/or people to be watched.
Okay.

Consider yourself corrected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies