Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 11:49 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,369,161 times

Advertisements

Certainly a good economic lesson.If these states don't want to lose more might they should learn (NY,CA, NJ, MA, did you hear me ?)

RealClearPolitics - Video - Census Shows Americans Fleeing High-Tax States

Look at that :

Illinois this week earned the honor of becoming the first state in 2011 to sock it to taxpayers, passing a tax hike the size of Lake Michigan. Citizens cried out, legislators deflected, but the most interesting response came from neighboring Wisconsin, where newly elected GOP Gov. Scott Walker had three words for Illinois businesses: "Escape to Wisconsin."
Across the country, dozens of new governors are taking office, fine-tuning state-of-the-state addresses, polishing budgets. With each event we are seeing a growing national divide.
On one side are wide swathes of the country that this past midterm elected reformers intent on slashing spending and reviving growth. On the other are the holdout pockets—Illinois, California, Massachusetts, Connecticut—drifting further into the abyss of tax and spend. The chasm has huge implications, not just for local and regional politics but for Washington.

Mr. Walker is painting that gulf as big as the Grand Canyon, this week blitzing the Chicago media markets to let suffering Illinois businesses know that while their governor, Pat Quinn, levies a 50% increase in corporate income taxes, Wisconsin is working to enact the total elimination of corporate income taxes for two years for firms that migrate. The "Escape to Wisconsin" line comes from an old tourism campaign, but Mr. Walker thinks it sums up the business choice perfectly. "We're going to send out that line to every employer in the state of Illinois," he tells me.

Strassel: Wisconsin 1, Illinois 0 - WSJ.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 12:12 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,338,840 times
http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/host.madison.com/content/tncms/assets/editorial/1/87/bf4/187bf486-1ea5-11e0-92f4-001cc4c002e0-revisions/4d2e3ba80cfa4.image.png (broken link)

Old 01-19-2011, 12:14 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
What the cencud shows is the change that has been going on long before this recession in the economy.They say all politics is local because that is where it begins . Just as we look at what so many states are doing to see where national politics is headed.But liie unemplyemnt rates it can fool you;because some states with the lowest actaully don't mploy many and some of thsoe sdtates will also be big losers in the reduced spending by federal governamnt because it will mean higher taxes to support local projects in the future.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:18 PM

Indiana attracted many Illinois businesses these last years, and apparently they want to lower taxes too..So more people/businesses will come to Indiana, Mitch Daniels must be so happy

Old 01-19-2011, 12:21 PM

45,202 posts, read 26,421,987 times
ozzie679, where is the cite for the pie chart?
I'd like to examine further.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:23 PM

4,300 posts, read 4,407,196 times
I live in the Metro East of St. Louis and many people go do business over on the Missouri side because of taxes. I purchase my gas over there because it is as much as 15 cents cheaper (at times, but usually a dime cheaper). Illinois just elected this clown and to repay his constituents - he raises their taxes. None of us have had a pay raise in years . . . but, he taxes us more. Thank you gov. Ass-hat!

Old 01-19-2011, 12:46 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,338,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
ozzie679, where is the cite for the pie chart?
I'd like to examine further.
Here ya go
Governor plans business border war with Illinois

Old 01-21-2011, 07:34 AM

Chicago - Add Mayor Daley to the long list of people who do not like the state's approval of a jaw dropping income tax hike, which is awaiting Quinn’s signature in Springfield.
Daley, who is not seeking re-election this spring, knows what triggers businesses to stay in Illinois or leave. He fears the legislature's latest move will result in a quiet exodus of jobs.

Neighboring States, Mayor Daley Slam Tax Increase's Business Impact (http://www.myfoxchicago.com/dpp/news/metro/income-tax-increase-business-impact-indiana-wisconsin-daley-20110113 - broken link)

The 11th-hour modification "is a joke," said Ty Fahner, president of the Civic Committee of the Commercial Club of Chicago. "It's like saying I'm going to hit you hard, and now I'm going to hit you a little. I believe it's disingenuous and it puts Illinois in a terrible spot in terms of creating or keeping jobs here."

Businesses don't like Illinois' corporate tax increase, but neighboring states do - Chicago Tribune

Old 01-21-2011, 07:41 AM

4,560 posts, read 4,098,262 times
This cracks me up.

I live in IL, I pay more this year in rent increases because of "market value" and increase in gas prices because of the market than I will in this tax increase. People are never up in arms about that though because it doesn't have a easily villified word associated with it.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:51 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,407,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
This cracks me up.

I live in IL, I pay more this year in rent increases because of "market value" and increase in gas prices because of the market than I will in this tax increase. People are never up in arms about that though because it doesn't have a easily villified word associated with it.
Really? You don't think we complain or are up in arms about higher prices for food, gas, rent, etc. . . ? I don't know of anyone here (I live in Illinois) that doesn't complain about those things. These things (gas & food) we can choose not to purchase (or not as much), but taxes are forced upon us. Any way you slice this tax increase, it is a slap in the face to all of us struggling to stay afloat in Illinois.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies