Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 08:52 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,838,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Wow..didn't know that.
Just ASSumed that football was a man's man sport.
Sorry for the offense.
Another socially liberal gem of yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Gays and superbowl ?
Kinda doesn't go together.

I guess they have "arrived" since bowl commercials cost an arm and a leg and a neck and a ....
How does this one state your position of being socially liberal? Stereotypes usually aren't a hallmark of social liberalism. I could be wrong, but typically people wouldn't just assume that gays are nancy boys. Usually they understand the difference between lifestyle and sexuality.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:54 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,589,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
Right this is the epitome of being socially liberal. Forcing acceptance? That sounds really socially liberal.

No, its an irrational fear. Frankly, I don't care about religion...I only care about it when people want to force their ideals into laws and creating really bad policies. Your personal beliefs are yours...however, your freedom ends at the tip of my nose.
It's advertising..keep it out front and after a while it will be accepted by the masses.
This is how it works.

Old 01-24-2011, 08:56 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,021,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Offensive. This adds to the myth that ALL gays are flamers.
I can't believe that they're airing this. It's the same way when lame comedy movies put in the flaming gay character(s) just for laughs
when they run out of other funny things. Middle America & the immature teens that go to these movies eat it up and wind up thinking that gays are ppl to be laughed at.

the second one was funnier though.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:02 PM

Quote:
It's advertising..keep it out front and after a while it will be accepted by the masses.
This is how it works.
It's not, btw. Not at all. Advertising/Marketing isn't about social acceptance. It's about mimicking the cultural zeitgeist to make a product seem more relevant to the demographic. Look at Disney circa late 1990s when the echo boomers were teens. Disney responded to this shift and thus changed its programing to include more teen shows. Look at the commercials for McDonalds in the 1980s...the Baby on Board era vs. the 2000s (more diversity and a bigger market share of minority groups).

Advertisement/marketing is targeted. These aren't political ads. Advertising and marketing follow trends mostly...they typically don't create trends.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:56 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,703,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeltCrystal View Post
I don't like them. They are not funny, just disgusting. This country is slowly turning into a liberal nightmare. Soon we will have grown men in mini skitrs prancing around on TV & acting like 5 yr old girls and other atrocities.

Do you want our children to be seeing those commercials? Even children will know something is just not right in those gay commercials.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
Repulsive perversion on parade. Doritos will no longer be on my shopping list.
"Oh, the humanity!"

Old 01-24-2011, 10:04 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,703,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Offensive. This adds to the myth that ALL gays are flamers.
I can't believe that they're airing this. It's the same way when lame comedy movies put in the flaming gay character(s) just for laughs
when they run out of other funny things. Middle America & the immature teens that go to these movies eat it up and wind up thinking that gays are ppl to be laughed at.
That was my first reaction too, but I think there are probably lots of heteros who know that most gays aren't "flamers". They understand that the characters in the first commercial are exaggerated stereotypes.

Of course, I might be wrong too.

If anyone here thinks that the guys in the first commercial are representative of most gays, please tell us. I promise I won't attack you for it.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:05 PM

570 posts, read 883,370 times
oh yes, the 97% or so of people that are STRAIGHT are really going to want to buy Doritos now that it is associated with something they would never want to try or do. And for most, something that actually the thought of , would make them LOSE their appetite.

The people who came up with this commercial are going to be looking for jobs soon is my guess.

I believe that being gay is perfectly legal and that they should be able to have a union. I'm just posting my opinion and the opinion of probably many people who once bought their chips.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:08 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,224,259 times
No more Doritos for me.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:09 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,636,848 times
I am offended...not because it is gay related (hello I'm gay), but the "swishyness" and innuendos that it has. NEWS FLASH....not all gay men are flamers, nor do we want to have sex with any man with a schlong.
Once again the mainstream advertisers are feeding into the NEGATIVE stereotype that most of America thinks we already are. Of course most of my Gay and Lesbian counterparts will find it "fierce" or "fabulous".....and yet they wonder why society STILL has a negative attitude about us.
Why couldn't Frito Lay produce an ad where some gay men are hanging with some straight buddies and enjoying something other than each others sexual parts??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies