Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2011, 07:55 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,285,820 times

Advertisements

Whoever wrote the context of the "Sputnik" moment oughta be sent to a gulag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 07:57 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazeeKrewe View Post
The republicans were not in control of any branch of congress when Obama decided to cut taxes on the wealthy. You are the one who "don't pay attention." The political spin machine defiantly controls your thoughts.
Ok, playing the same old games again? You do know it is obvious to anyone that has played the game here before, don't you? So, let me clear up the fog for ya; The Republicans had just won an election that gave then control of the House in Jan 2011, the President needed to get some important business done before the end of the year and had to work with the Repubs in the House because if he did not work with them they would be able to just stonewall everything and the budget would have had to wait until the new House was sworn in. In other words the Repubs had leverage; you do know what that is don't ya, if not look it up yourself. The Repubs said they would not extend Unemployment Benefits or Millions of Americans if it did not come out of the Stimulus Funds. The President said he was against the extension for the tax cut for the rich and was going to end it. The President and Repubs decided to make a deal, The Repubs got their extension for the Rich for two years and the Unemployment Benefits were ok'ed, both sides gave something and both sides got something. It is called working together, something the far right has no idea how to do and the reason that if they do not learn to do it they will be gone quickly, those moderates that helped you in the last election will turn on you in the next, that is how politics work. Oh, as for whose thoughts are being controlled I would have say it is not the Moderates and Libs here, ever notice that you get a wide range of opinions and thoughts from the Moderates and Liberals on this board but when the far right chimes in they sound the same as if they have been repeating some lesson taught to them by others, there are times one cannot tell one rightwing poster from another as if it really matters. It also makes the far right very predictable, this thread is a classic example of exactly that, just as with the young kid they had do the rebuttal it is Obvious he was not commenting on the words the President said but instead was only repeating the same old Rightwing Rhetoric that has been repeated over and over. I would have been far more impressed if he would have actually addressed the speech, but that would have been asking for far too much from a rightwing speaker, I kept looking for the strings but he did not move enough to see them clearly.
Casper

Old 01-26-2011, 07:59 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Studies have shown sunlight in moderate amounts is necessary for good health & over all well being.

Yeah if it was a Repub saying it about someone of color it would be racist!
Ohio and DC are pretty good places for that kind of sunlight during winter.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:00 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
Please, no discrimination against orange people. Some of them may cry - a lot.
Those tears might not be, but they prove that at least his tan is real.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:00 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,873,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Whoever wrote the context of the "Sputnik" moment oughta be sent to a gulag.
It WAS amusing considering....

I sometimes wonder if those in charge say things just to see how far they can go and still have their followers chant along with them....

Old 01-26-2011, 08:03 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,285,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
It WAS amusing considering....

I sometimes wonder if those in charge say things just to see how far they can go and still have their followers chant along with them....
There certainly are an alarming number of people who romanticize the orderly society that was the SU, even if they don't want to admit it out of fear of being shunned from their clique. Combine that with the infamous Che picture and his revolutionary spirit, it really tugs at the heart of those who yearn for equality and order.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:05 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
To me it was more of the same, and frankly....after 2 years of Campaigning and than acting as he was campaigning again....I don't believe much that he is saying...but again he can give a speech!

Now he is on the road campaigning again..his BILIION DOLLAR costing campaign for 2012, which is to me very bothering with so many without a job.

Over here in Florida many are without a job and I don't think they will vote for him again...

The Bush/Cheney bumper stickers stayed for years...you hardly see any Obama/Biden stickers anymore and this morning I saw a very funny anti Obama sticker and I have seen more and more...

Old 01-26-2011, 08:05 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Ok, playing the same old games again? You do know it is obvious to anyone that has played the game here before, don't you? So, let me clear up the fog for ya; The Republicans had just won an election that gave then control of the House in Jan 2011, the President needed to get some important business done before the end of the year and had to work with the Repubs in the House because if he did not work with them they would be able to just stonewall everything and the budget would have had to wait until the new House was sworn in. In other words the Repubs had leverage; you do know what that is don't ya, if not look it up yourself. The Repubs said they would not extend Unemployment Benefits or Millions of Americans if it did not come out of the Stimulus Funds. The President said he was against the extension for the tax cut for the rich and was going to end it. The President and Repubs decided to make a deal, The Repubs got their extension for the Rich for two years and the Unemployment Benefits were ok'ed, both sides gave something and both sides got something. It is called working together, something the far right has no idea how to do and the reason that if they do not learn to do it they will be gone quickly, those moderates that helped you in the last election will turn on you in the next, that is how politics work. Oh, as for whose thoughts are being controlled I would have say it is not the Moderates and Libs here, ever notice that you get a wide range of opinions and thoughts from the Moderates and Liberals on this board but when the far right chimes in they sound the same as if they have been repeating some lesson taught to them by others, there are times one cannot tell one rightwing poster from another as if it really matters. It also makes the far right very predictable, this thread is a classic example of exactly that, just as with the young kid they had do the rebuttal it is Obvious he was not commenting on the words the President said but instead was only repeating the same old Rightwing Rhetoric that has been repeated over and over. I would have been far more impressed if he would have actually addressed the speech, but that would have been asking for far too much from a rightwing speaker, I kept looking for the strings but he did not move enough to see them clearly.
Casper
Ah, don't mind the idiots, they have nothing to offer, pretty much like the GOP and TParty, falsehoods and misinfo. But a good sign, the Pres has Velma back.

Velma Hart on Obama's State of the Union - The Daily Beast

Old 01-26-2011, 08:07 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,847,480 times
OMG!!! He tans. Dont go to South Beach and see all the men tanning. He is the only man in America that gets a tan.

Who cares seriously. If this is all some have to worry about, another person getting a tan. Then your life must really be problem free.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:07 AM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
I thought he did a pretty good job reading the teleprompter. He even said 3 things that were good ideas.
1) Our corporate income tax rates are among the hightest in the world, reduce them.
2) Malpractice/tort reform
3) He promised to veto any bills with earmarks. Of course, he's promised that since he was on the campaign trail and never delivered.

He blew it on economics 101. We can't "freeze" government spending when our spending is upwards of 1.5 times income. It needs to be reduced, and dramtatically. He still thinks we can afford to have the federal government provide "hi-speed rail to nowhere". Just the same, it wasn't the embarrassment of last year's SOTU.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies