Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 11:58 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,901,260 times

Advertisements

Sorry,leftists do not like their own hypocrisy to be discussed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 12:04 PM

13,679 posts, read 20,818,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post
I've lived in various cities, over the years. As an African American, I've exerienced quite a bit of racism, in so-called 'progressive' cities. I'm talking about places such as Portland, OR, San Francisco, CA, Northampton, MA, and others. These places are certainly progressive, when it comes to politics, gay and lesbian issues, and environmental issues.

But when it comes to racism, especially with regards to economics, these so-called 'progressive' cities, come up short. From my own experiences, it seems to me that many 'progressive' cities, want to keep blacks and browns out. They want to deny blacks and browns decent housing, jobs, and overall respect. The only minority group that I've seen, that are welcome in 'progressive' cities, are Asians.

I'd like to hear from others, particularly African American, and Hispanics, about this issue. Have any of you ever lived in any so-called 'progressive' city, and have experienced lots of racism, either covert or blatant?
I suppose its pretty easy for folks in a city like San Francisco to proclaim solidarity with a group of people whom they will rarely, if ever, have any contact with. I am not sure it makes them racist, at least by my definition, but it certainly makes them hypocrites.

Your specific indictment (denial of jobs, decent housing) sounds rather harsh. Not saying its not true, but can you offer some examples that you yourself faced?

Old 01-28-2011, 12:05 PM

256 posts, read 216,762 times
I'd say that it is just as easy to find unliberal liberals as it is to find unchristian Christians, nonconservative conservatives, and so on.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reg So View Post
I'd say that it is just as easy to find unliberal liberals as it is to find unchristian Christians, nonconservative conservatives, and so on.
Then I reckon they are not truly liberals, Christains, and conservatives, no?

Old 01-28-2011, 12:11 PM

1,296 posts, read 2,228,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Ever notice how the Progressive cities are wealthier than most with a decent size and relatively secure working and middle class. Like the guy complaining about the DOE one man’s experience does not a sample make.
Yes, I've also noticed that these cities, tend to squeeze-out the poor, middle and working-classes, of ALL colors. But they're more tolerant towards whites of any class, than blacks and Hispanics of any class. The only minorities that get a free pass in such cities, seem to be Asians.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Yes, I've also noticed that these cities, tend to squeeze-out the poor, middle and working-classes, of ALL colors. But they're more tolerant towards whites of any class, than blacks and Hispanics of any class. The only minorities that get a free pass in such cities, seem to be Asians.
Well then! It seems you have discovered the template that leads to acceptance. If you are going to steal, then steal from the best.

31,767 posts, read 28,866,158 times
Quote:
Could you give an example to make your point? How do you know the person/group you're describing is progressive/liberal? Or, is it an assumption that everybody is a progressive if they live in a progressive city?

I wouldn't consider a person a Christian if they simply talked about it, goes to church regularly, or lived in a city that is deemed religious.

256 posts, read 216,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Then I reckon they are not truly liberals, Christains, and conservatives, no?
"Truly"? Perhaps not. But then, I doubt I know a single person, myself included, who is completely consistent in all actions, words, or thoughts.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reg So View Post
"Truly"? Perhaps not. But then, I doubt I know a single person, myself included, who is completely consistent in all actions, words, or thoughts.
Of course. My response was tongue in cheek.

Old 01-28-2011, 02:55 PM

2,028 posts, read 1,891,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Ever notice how the Progressive cities are wealthier than most with a decent size and relatively secure working and middle class. Like the guy complaining about the DOE one man’s experience does not a sample make.
Good afternoon,

What is your definition of a Progressive city? Almost every major city in America is a Democratic stronghold, including the ones in Texas. Or, are you using another method to determine your definition? I'm curious because I've seen this term on the forum.

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies