Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 06:10 AM

5,546 posts, read 10,001,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
So you think the judge should only use ring for life for sentencing while you have said AA has worked for some
No, I am talking about cognitive behavioral therapy or rational emotive therapy as a resource rather than court mandated AA or NA. I can think of two rehabs in this town that would work. One uses the CBT approach and there is no reason could not be used for this purpose and the other other REBT combined with Naltrexone (which is now available in implant forms or in a once a month shot) which could be administered in the case of alcohol. There are also suboxone programs and people could be given the choice of jail or forced compliance with these programs.

Old 01-29-2011, 06:18 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,224,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
No, I am talking about cognitive behavioral therapy or rational emotive therapy as a resource rather than court mandated AA or NA. I can think of two rehabs in this town that would work. One uses the CBT approach and there is no reason could not be used for this purpose and the other other REBT combined with Naltrexone (which is now available in implant forms or in a once a month shot) which could be administered in the case of alcohol. There are also suboxone programs and people could be given the choice of jail or forced compliance with these programs.
Should judged have the option to order rehab? I do not disagree with you about different programs help different people

Old 01-29-2011, 07:05 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,508,466 times
Quote:
What say you? Additonally, they are like sitting through Baptist church services. C'mon. Let's step into the 21st century, shall we?

Let's not go back to 1935 to look for a solution to addiction issues. We would not treat cancer or diabetes that way. Why addiction?
It was the Episcopal and Methodist churches that helped AA get started more than Baptists.

Since 1935 about 5 million people have got and stayed sober in AA.

Treatment for diabetes and cancer don't work. If a diabetic or cancer patient could cure their disease by spending an hour or two a week at a meeting they would do it.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:08 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
These are not guaranteed to work, either.
I'd rather live my life without the need for monthly drugs, isn't that the reason many of us get sober: to stop using drugs...
I think you're missing the point.

Suboxone has mixed reviews and again, why change one drug for another?

I've managed to get through the past almost 30 years without being dependent on other drugs or therapies (that cost money).

And were it not for AA, LifeRing wouldn't be around.

And your links? Please, it was a person's opinion. There aren't credible studies about who does or does not get or stay sober, the variables are too great. No two people are the same so you're looking at apples and oranges.

But don't let that stop you.

Again, I'm interested in what your dog is in this fight.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:11 AM

Quote:
No, I never have had a DUI. But that does bring up the whole issue of court mandated AA/NA and how courts have ruled that these programs are religious and a violation of one's rights, against the Constitution, etc.

Plus, "the rooms" are filled with predators, characters of questionable backgrounds abound. We're talking real criminals here with prison histories, etc. Every flavor. I am not talking the women here, rather the men.
Courts are oftentimes wrong. Why do we pretend differently?

Yes, yes. It is better to keep drinking. Going to bars you never run into predators or characters of questionable backgrounds abound.

It's my experience that very,very rarley will you find someone "dangerous" in A.A.. And the few that are are easy to spot and they normally change or stop coming.

P.S. How can the courts rule A.A. is a religious organization? There are athiest meetings. Like I said, courts are often wrong.

Last edited by OhioIstheBest; 01-29-2011 at 07:25 AM..

Old 01-29-2011, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Aha, if it's so "inclusive," why do so many meetings end with the Lord's prayer? I have far more of a clue that you possibly realize.

And the whole thing was founded, in part, on the Oxford Group, which was a Christian organization.

And please explain that "chapter to the wives" to me as well, while your at at.

And I know all about your link. Been there, done that.

Oh, and in the interest of sharing, here is a link I "don't" think you've seen.

www.morerevealed.com
I go to meetings that don't end in the Lord's Prayer. And I go to some meetings where they do but some people choose not to participate in that part of the meeting. And nobody cares.

The Oxford Group is still around and should be referred to in the present. (Though it did change names).

Do you know anything about AA? It sounds like you have never been to a meeting and for one reason or another have a bad opinion of it.

Did you know someone that went to AA for a while and later died of active alcoholism? Is that the root of your resentment?

Old 01-29-2011, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Well, I realize this link is kind of heavy duty, but the data would suggest otherwise...

The Effectiveness of the Twelve-Step Treatment
There is no way to know what the succes rate of A.A. is. Nobody keeps track of people and whether or not they come and whether or not they relapse.

From my observations I would say 50% of people that voluntarily go to AA never drink again. And 75% get sober after a relapse or two. The other 25% either get sober by other means or die.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:23 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,046,738 times
Quote:
Chapter to the wives. How antiquated can you possibly get?

The whole thing is like one giant Baptist service.

As you've never attended one, maybe you are not the best person to comment on this topic? But, of course, you comments are welcome.
The AA institution, flawed as any institution made of human beings may be, has helped many people over the years.
The fact that it's still around after all these years proves it's worth.

I sincerely wish my father had found AA. Instead, he lost his business, he deserted his family and spent his life in and out of Veterans Hospitals because of alcoholism.
The last time I heard from him many years ago,... he was drunk. He probably died alone.

If you don't want to go to an AA meeting, don't go....

Last edited by World Citizen; 01-29-2011 at 08:34 AM..

Old 01-29-2011, 08:28 AM

13,423 posts, read 9,955,563 times
Quote:
No, I never have had a DUI. But that does bring up the whole issue of court mandated AA/NA and how courts have ruled that these programs are religious and a violation of one's rights, against the Constitution, etc.

Plus, "the rooms" are filled with predators, characters of questionable backgrounds abound. We're talking real criminals here with prison histories, etc. Every flavor. I am not talking the women here, rather the men.
Why be sexist? If there are men ex-cons abounding at AA meetings, then surely there's women ex-cons too.

The rooms are not "filled" with predators. Yes, there may be some who try to take advantage of newcomers or who have questionable motives for being there. But that's the problem you have with a system that is open to everybody, and has no requirements for joining, other than a desire to stop drinking. Generally though, the regular attendees would be quick to spot such behavior, and put a stop to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092
You are not thinking of the people who VOLUNTARILY are subjected to this criminal element now, are you. And AA does no better than doing nothing in terms of "help."

Ok, at this time of the morning that did not make sense. I am talking about the people who voluntarily attend meetings and have to be subjected to rapists, murderers and thieves sitting alongside them.
You are subjected to a criminal element standing in line at Taco Bell, for all you know.

I don't know of any judge that would send a murderer or rapist to an AA meeting instead of jail. That's just ridiculous. Besides, if I VOLUNTARILY attend a meeting and there's someone there that makes me uncomfortable, I can VOLUNTARILY decide to leave or attend a different meeting. Which I probably wouldn't, because most addicts have done at least one questionable thing while under the influence, and who am I to judge?

If there are people there with criminal backgrounds, then how is being "subject" to them a problem for you exactly? What, do you think they're going to up and murder you in the middle of a meeting surrounded by 25 other people? Do you think they're going to talk you to death? Do you not like hearing that people have lived lives they aren't proud of? How does it harm you, exactly?

Old 01-29-2011, 08:47 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
http://www.city-data.com/forum/newre...ply&p=17604190

Just think about who could be in these offices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies