Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 07:18 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,035,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
Do you think you are making unfounded assumptions? I do.
Well I shall now sit back and take a healthy slice of humble pie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 07:20 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,035,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
No, most people haven't formulated a plan for anything. In fact, most people do not even know what day it is.
It's Saturday!

Old 01-29-2011, 07:21 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,410,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
No, most people haven't formulated a plan for anything. In fact, most people do not even know what day it is.
Great respect you have for your fellow human beings. I have noticed lately that many seem to feel comfortable passing judgement on others. Many times it seems to be rooted in ones feeling that they are above others due to class, race, and/or education

Old 01-29-2011, 07:23 PM

1,230 posts, read 3,175,283 times
We have lots of guns and lots of ammo, one freezer full of meat (deer), pantry full of items, land to plant a garden, a large generator, we use propane and have about 500 gallons on hand, we burn wood and so we wont have to use our propane for heat.

My only concern would be getting my husbands meds (his is Type 1 diabetic...going on 27 years).

Last edited by sherrenee; 01-29-2011 at 07:34 PM..

Old 01-29-2011, 07:25 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,920,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
With regards to Katrina, folks weren't sitting around waiting for the government to save them, they just didn't believe that the storm was that dangerous. It happens every hurricane season, regardless of income, or location. Despite GOVERNMENT ordered evacuation notices folks seem to think that it just won't be that bad. For the VAST majority of folks, they head for the hills and this applies to hurricanes, brush fires, 100 year floods or whatever. But be that as it may, perhaps if you climate change deniers, shrinkers of the very agencies charged with disaster forecasting and relief, were to take a decidedly different attitude, perhaps we could head off the fall of civilization or at least put together the kind of government that can actually be relied upon to maintain it. .......
Not only did you make the discussion of hypothetical civil unrest political but you preassigned fault to the budget cuts that are necessary.

When has the growing of the government and its bureaucracies ever made it reliable, efficient, or even competant?

Old 01-29-2011, 07:29 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,749,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baxendale View Post
I've recently instituted a emergency alert system for the family that involves using different colors to warn of impending danger. I post it on the fridge on a chart that I made up. I'll admit that I often change it at random for no reason, just to watch their anxiety level go up. What a hoot! I doubt that this kind of thing will ever catch on, but it sure does give you a sense of power.
I think this is marketable.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:33 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,009,461 times
Quote:
Great respect you have for your fellow human beings. I have noticed lately that many seem to feel comfortable passing judgement on others. Many times it seems to be rooted in ones feeling that they are above others due to class, race, and/or education
Harsh as it may seem to you the post you were responding to is rooted in reality. Working in law enforcement the poster has daily exposure to aspects of society that most folks are fortunate enough to seldom see.

Having done the same job for a number of years I'd offer it's less an issue of passing judgment than it is of offering a realistic assessment stemming from a well earned cynical view of society as a whole.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:37 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,410,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
Harsh as it may seem to you the post you were responding to is rooted in reality. Working in law enforcement the poster has daily exposure to aspects of society that most folks are fortunate enough to seldom see.

Having done the same job for a number of years I'd offer it's less an issue of passing judgment than it is of offering a realistic assessment stemming from a well earned cynical view of society as a whole.
Translated to mean that you think you think the majority of your fellow citizens are beneath you in intelligence. Sorry, I don't buy that.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:40 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,332,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrenee View Post
We have lots of guns and lots of ammo, one freezer full of meat (deer), pantry full of items, land to plant a garden, a large generator, we use propane and have about 500 gallons on hand, we burn wood and so we wont have to use our propane for heat.

My only concern would be getting my husbands meds (his is Type 1 diabetic...going on 27 years).
I think this fall I will can some deer meat also.

Meds would be the problem with us too.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:42 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times
Quote:
Translated to mean that you think you think the majority of your fellow citizens are beneath you in intelligence. Sorry, I don't buy that.
Not stupid per say but apathetic to the point of not trying or even caring. Quite content to float along with BAU.

Less than 1/2 the folks I bumped into over yesterday and today had any clue there was civil unrest in Egypt.

Yesterday involved college educated engineers.
Today involved neighbors I met at the grocery and people at the oil change place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies