Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2010, 12:18 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
You deficit spend by borrowing the money. When the economy returns to up, you then use the enhanced tax revenue to pay back what you borrowed.
I disagree.

Do things to make people want to invest.

This downturn is from an anti-business president.

As long as Obama is in office, things will just get worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 12:23 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HC475 View Post
If all these people were working before... Why all the layoffs in the first place?...

Answer:

It's an elitist attempt of a reboot of the economy... While undermining the Obama administration... Wipeout everyone's life savings... A systematic elimination of the middle class.
Oh please. Do you work in a factory? For a large corporation? Well I do.
Some times you downsize because of automation. In other words you don't need 5 people to do the job anymore. You only need 3.
Sometimes they downsize because the equipment has become more efficient and more reliable.
Why use 5 managers to do the job of 2?
The corporate bottom line is profit nothing more nothing less. I am one of the grunts on the floor. Often I hate the decisions made by paper pushers. Often I agree.
No corporation will destroy or even damage themselves simply to make Obama look bad. There is no profit in that.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:25 PM

5,346 posts, read 4,048,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Oh please. Do you work in a factory? For a large corporation? Well I do.
Some times you downsize because of automation. In other words you don't need 5 people to do the job anymore. You only need 3.
Sometimes they downsize because the equipment has become more efficient and more reliable.
Why use 5 managers to do the job of 2?
The corporate bottom line is profit nothing more nothing less. I am one of the grunts on the floor. Often I hate the decisions made by paper pushers. Often I agree.
No corporation will destroy or even damage themselves simply to make Obama look bad. There is no profit in that.
Is that why so many people are working overtime nowadays?... Must be Health Insurance costs too...

Old 08-27-2010, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Is that why so many people are working overtime nowadays?... Must be Health Insurance costs too...
Business will not hire until they know their bottom line on the health care law.

Also, cap and trade.

Of course, all taxes will be going up.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Business will not hire until they know their bottom line on the health care law.

Also, cap and trade.

Of course, all taxes will be going up.
Taxes won't go up for anybody making under $250k... They aren't "going up" anyway... Bush tax cuts will expire... not "go up"... there's a difference...

Old 08-27-2010, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Taxes won't go up for anybody making under $250k... They aren't "going up" anyway... Bush tax cuts will expire... not "go up"... there's a difference...
http://moneywatch.bnet.com/economic-...nevitable/543/

Old 08-27-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Could it be that those who work over time spent themselves into a box?
I know the ones where I work. Some do OT to buy things. Some do OT because they bought to many things on credit.
Our health insurance. It went from $25.00 a month in 1991 to $150.00 a month in 2010. Wow $125.00 is forcing OT?
I know 1 guy drives a hummer, built a 200g house built in pool and all on credit. I think he works every day he has off on OT.
I know another 60 years old. Has borrowed against his retirement since I have known him. He works OT all the time too. He feels that its better for him to work ot than it is to let his kids payoff their own student loans.
I know 1 guy does OT because thats his party money. Another does it for the same reason I do. To buy toys. I don't finance toys. That would be items like Wide screen TV's or ATV's or a new computer.
The point is everyone who works OT does it for their own reasons. Some need to and where I work its usually self inflicted. The exception being divorce and child support.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Could it be that those who work over time spent themselves into a box?
I know the ones where I work. Some do OT to buy things. Some do OT because they bought to many things on credit.
Our health insurance. It went from $25.00 a month in 1991 to $150.00 a month in 2010. Wow $125.00 is forcing OT?
I know 1 guy drives a hummer, built a 200g house built in pool and all on credit. I think he works every day he has off on OT.
I know another 60 years old. Has borrowed against his retirement since I have known him. He works OT all the time too. He feels that its better for him to work ot than it is to let his kids payoff their own student loans.
I know 1 guy does OT because thats his party money. Another does it for the same reason I do. To buy toys. I don't finance toys. That would be items like Wide screen TV's or ATV's or a new computer.
The point is everyone who works OT does it for their own reasons. Some need to and where I work its usually self inflicted. The exception being divorce and child support.
Companies are forcing mandatory overtime to avoid hiring...

Old 08-27-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Companies are forcing mandatory overtime to avoid hiring...
Mine has done it fo as long as I have worked there. Do you hire for seasonal work? Summer months and December are the vacation hot months. So do you over staff to prevent OT 3 or 4 months out of the year?
Would you if it were your company and you were paying the bills? I wouldn't.
That said its been 5 or 6 years since I was mandatoried. There are always spend junkies who need OT.
Lets examine staffing.
Some complain that due to smaller teams there is no time for training etc. Valid point it has become more challenging.
On the other hand those same folks who are complaining tend to take 30 minute breaks. Company guideline is 15.
They take extra breaks and 45 min lunches. They can be found working hard looking for a chair to sit in and always have an excuse why their work isn't done.
My team we take 20 minute breaks. Line is running well and we work criteria between raw material changes. Its not surprising that my folks promote on average 4 to 6 months faster than on other teams.

Last edited by tinman01; 08-27-2010 at 01:57 PM..

Old 08-27-2010, 01:00 PM
C.C

2,235 posts, read 2,363,273 times
Quote:
Taxes won't go up for anybody making under $250k...
I hope you're right - Congress doesn't seem to be in any hurry to extend them. I suppose they're busy figuring out how to pay for an extension - it would be a tough sell as emergency spending...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies