Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 01:06 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,255,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
Remember the firefighters at New Haven?
The New Haven firefighters case wasn't about initial hiring diversity, that was about discrimination in promotions.

The city of New Haven was wrong, and the white firefighters got their promotions and back pay.

Case closed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 01:10 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,255,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Apparently you need to be shown again that you are wrong on that.

Feds demand diversity on Wall Street - Carrie Budoff Brown - POLITICO.com

Oh....don't like Politico?

Google

So....are you going to run away from this thread now as well?
It's the same piece that you posted on the other thread.

Look...go play somewhere, i'm busy.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:14 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,699,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
"Further fuel" white flight? LOL...to where, Europe?

Gimme a break.
To places where they are not discriminated against, I'm guessing.

Old 02-02-2011, 01:19 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,024,061 times
People from different walks of life. People with different personalities, skill sets, creative ways to solve problem and unique points of view.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:28 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,357,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
It's the same piece that you posted on the other thread.

Look...go play somewhere, i'm busy.

Busy evading the fact that you're wrong on this issue- again

Old 02-02-2011, 04:15 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,675,163 times
diversity and ability to fulfill job duties are not mutually exclusive.
for those saying...
"job performance matters most, bla bla bla"; no one said it didnt.
it seems that the underlying belief is that if you hire a diverse group of people, you are sacrificing high quality workers. thats not the case. why would i assume that diversity would replace job performance? why would anyone?

Old 02-02-2011, 04:23 PM

50,460 posts, read 47,177,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
diversity and ability to fulfill job duties are not mutually exclusive.
for those saying...
"job performance matters most, bla bla bla"; no one said it didnt.
it seems that the underlying belief is that if you hire a diverse group of people, you are sacrificing high quality workers. thats not the case. why would i assume that diversity would replace job performance? why would anyone?
Well, it would matter to someone who gets let go during layoffs because they didn't match the "diversity" plan of the remaining workers. Especially if they are actually a better worker. I've seen this happen.

Old 02-02-2011, 04:28 PM

996 posts, read 1,059,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Well, it would matter to someone who gets let go during layoffs because they didn't match the "diversity" plan of the remaining workers. Especially if they are actually a better worker. I've seen this happen.
It happens every day in corporate America - where the PC diversity BS programs exist..

HR monitors their quotas and makes sure a piece of dead meat is filling a slot - even though they pink slip the most productive worker in the dept.

Glad I don't have to put up with that nonsense..

Old 02-02-2011, 04:57 PM

2,079 posts, read 4,955,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
A diverse workplace of people will have diverse ideas, opinions, methods of problem-solving, etc. What does skin color have to do with it?
Skin color has plenty to do it. Would you agree that hiring managers, businesses and corporations in the U.S. have a long history of looking past the problem-solving skills, intelligence and qualifications of a certain minority AND NOT HIRING THEM BASED ON THEIR SKIN COLOR? Or have you forgotten about that?

Old 02-02-2011, 04:59 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,687,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
There's no problem with it at all as long as companies aren't forced to hire people to satisfy a quota.

BTW: Last I heard whites make up about 80% of the U.S. population. Having said that, would it not stand to reason that whites would occupy most of the jobs in any given company?
It's somewhat less than 80%.......I think some are just angry that white males don't occupy 100% of every occupation other than janitor and domestic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies