Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 11:22 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,184,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferron View Post
as does america. our national/official language is english. yet we saw we need to have an "english only" law.

though they have a national tongue, they know that there are many in their land that prefer another language (note that i say prefer, and not "unable to speak the national tongue"). does this mean that the other countries should trounce upon the varied heritage of it's people? no.
Actually, America does not have an official language. It's been proposed many times, but (to my knowledge) has never passed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

6,476 posts, read 7,333,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferron View Post
as does america. our national/official language is english. yet we saw we need to have an "english only" law.
I disagree. The USA has no "Official" language, but rather it has English as the most commonly spoken one. The law would disoblige the government from having to provide services in most any language in favor of English. The law would certainly not outlaw the use of other languages as an "English Only" law would perforce do.

15,878 posts, read 21,481,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
Totally agree. It would be nice if when you call a company you only get English.

Damn it! If you come to a country and decide it will be your home, have the respect to learn the language, obey the laws, and respect the culture. Otherwise, go back where you came from!
Why are you so threatened? Really? What's so scary about having one more option to push? Does it really waste that much of your time? Is it really that hard?

I like pressing 2 for espanol and I was born in the USA. When my host mother from Mexico came to the US on a trip and had her credit card stolen, having a Spanish option at the local bank that partnered with her Mexican bank was incredibly helpful. Her English wasn't strong enough to handle it on her own- and why should it be? Most Americans when traveling don't even THINK about how much English is offered to them, travelers, at the *oh so horrible expense* of the native language.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:24 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,333,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Why are you so threatened? Really? What's so scary about having one more option to push? Does it really waste that much of your time? Is it really that hard?

I like pressing 2 for espanol and I was born in the USA. When my host mother from Mexico came to the US on a trip and had her credit card stolen, having a Spanish option at the local bank that partnered with her Mexican bank was incredibly helpful. Her English wasn't strong enough to handle it on her own- and why should it be? Most Americans when traveling don't even THINK about how much English is offered to them, travelers, at the *oh so horrible expense* of the native language.
Again, the law would only officially designate English as the official language of The United States. It would not prevent a commercial enterprise from offering services in any language(s) it thought in its best interest so to do.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:28 AM

15,878 posts, read 21,481,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
Again, the law would only officially designate English as the official language of The United States. It would not prevent a commercial enterprise from offering services in any language(s) it thought in its best interest so to do.
I know. That's not the argument that many people on this thread are making, however. Look and see how many people support the interference with private businesses, including the post I was responding to.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:30 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,690,620 times
While they are busy worrying about the official language of the nation it won't matter because it soon might be Chinese if don't figure out our debit problem.
Solve the border problem and you wont have worry about the 30 million illegals and influence of Spanish speaking population. While your at it end all visas and work visas we have enough hard time keeping track of the people working here let alone those who come and never leave and blow up buildings.
Government can control its and enforce it because its already part of the government and security and defense.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:32 AM

410 posts, read 950,480 times
All I can say is that the miserable closet-white supremacists putting forward this sort of nonsense had better get breeding

Old 02-02-2011, 12:19 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,679,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post

If you come to America you should learn English.

Having other languages at your disposal doesn't encourage you to learn English.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:30 PM

6,758 posts, read 8,601,394 times
I speak five languages besides English. I have learned them as I was stationed around the world and it made it much easier to be able to communicate in the native tounge.

I wasn't forced to learn them as I wasn't emigrating to those countries, but to facilitate ordering food, travel, buying at the local markets, being able to communicate in the official language of the country made things much easier.

Is it so difficult for folks coming here to learn our language?

I have never noticed overseas that other countries print their ballots in multiple languages, or their drivers exams.

It would simply be a courtesy for many to know enough of our language to get by, and if they plan on living here, being able to communicate opens whole new worlds of job opportunities, communicating with neighbors, avoiding confusion and confrontations.

I for one support having an official language the same as nearly every other country in the world.

Funny thing, I never have learned spanish, never had the need, never wanted to learn it just so I could travel to california or Arizona. As long as I am in the US, I should be able to order a Big Mac in English.

To reply to post #27, when North America was part of the "Empire" we spoke the official language, English.
Nothing "white supremecist" about it. Part of becomeing part of any culture is assimilation and a common language is a big part of that.

I am sure the Indians and Pakistanis and multiple African nations wished that the Victorian English had learned the language instead of making them speak a foreign language. Ruddy Wogs what ho??

Old 02-02-2011, 12:35 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,074,947 times
YES! We should designate ENGLISH to be our OFFICIAL language! No other languages on roadsigns, documents, anywhere!

Then we can be just like France!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies