Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 05:32 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,835,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
English though is the international language when you have meetings with folks from all over the world.

It will hurt folks more here in the US not to learn English.
I volunteer in a school predominantly Hispanic and I am constantly asking the students to speak English. They know English just fine; I have asked just in case they were ESL students. There is a difference.
How does this pertain to the post you're replying to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 09:08 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,665,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
I'm an ESL teacher. How am I anti-English?

How can we save "trillions" when our total GDP is roughly $14 trillion. So at the lowest number printing things in different languages is roughly worth 7% of GDP?

You clearly don't understand. It's not a personal attack, but when you post things like we could save "perhaps Trillions(sic)", it shows a complete and utter lack of understanding.

If you do not know the current cultural models of assimilation and state I'm "anti-English" for proposing MORE resources for English, then it shows a complete and utter lack of understanding.

That's not a personal attack.

I'm simply pointing out the FACT that you clearly do not understand the issue at hand.

You stated that I have "no respect to this country's heritage". My entire last post was how our national heritage is an amalgam of cultures. I simply posed the question of what culture should people assimilate to. It was meant to show that this notion of Anglo homogeneity is not truly existent, nor ever has been. So even your coup de grace was a complete and utter failure of understanding our nation's heritage.

I understand you.
Your first response was Anti English.

If you are an ESL teacher you understand the importance of English as our nations language, and would support it.

English is our heritage & culture.
Our language is the foundation of this country & to divide it would be destructive.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:54 AM

2,208 posts, read 1,835,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
I understand you.

If you are an ESL teacher you understand the importance of English as our nations language, and would support it.

Our language is the foundation of this country & to divide it would be destructive.
You don't have a grasp of US history. Your views are hyper nationalistic. So much so to the point that those that simply agree with not having full immersion and want MORE ESL classes is somehow anti-American.

I can't debate somebody that is this off topic and not even relevant. So instead of wasting time, please read up on US history and gain some general understanding of immigrant communities in the US. Then learn some theories of ESL. After that, do a little sociological and demographic research on how assimilation works. It would prove beneficial as to broaden your horizons instead of relying on bumper sticker slogans as a basis of an argument.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:08 AM

2,673 posts, read 3,247,121 times
Quote:
You also have to realize the older you get, the harder it is to learn a new language. If you go and meet Americans abroad, many of them speak only English and have only American friends. Part of this age. The older one is, the harder to change speech patterns. In order to successfully have more universal English usage is to have more programs available.

What's more telling than first generation English usage is second and third generation English usage. It shows whether English is being encouraged. Typically by third generation, the VAST majority of people speak English. Even by second generation, the majority of people speak English.
I've read that the second generation usually is bilingual, and by third generation they speak only English. Semantics. Good post, but you bring common sense, facts and cognizance beyond hyperbole. That might work on some people, but for the xenophobes are blind to facts. English only is a way to justify disenfranchisement more than it is for states to save money. It's similar to the old Jim Crow laws.

The English only laws are a raw nerve for me since I'm the first generation that doesn't speak our Native American language.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:40 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,458,221 times
I can understand wanting to have English as the primary language, or at least, one of the predominant languages of the U.S. What I don't understand is making it the ONLY official language. Why prevent other languages from being able to gain official, or even semi-official status?

Old 02-08-2011, 03:45 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,458,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
I understand you.

So is American Sign Language. So is Spanish. So are countless other languages. One of the beautiful aspects of American heritage is that it's made up of other heritages, cultures, and languages.

Old 02-09-2011, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
So is American Sign Language. So is Spanish. So are countless other languages. One of the beautiful aspects of American heritage is that it's made up of other heritages, cultures, and languages.
Yes American Heritage starts with its language, music, history, Arts its roots from the founding of this country. American symbolism, and a shared commonality

Old 02-09-2011, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I can understand wanting to have English as the primary language, or at least, one of the predominant languages of the U.S. What I don't understand is making it the ONLY official language. Why prevent other languages from being able to gain official, or even semi-official status?
A country does not need two or three competing languages.

If thats the case, just make two separate countries.

Old 02-09-2011, 07:29 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,761,940 times
If we called the Language American or United States it would be easier to accept.

Old 02-09-2011, 07:39 AM

Quote:
You don't have a grasp of US history. Your views are hyper nationalistic. So much so to the point that those that simply agree with not having full immersion and want MORE ESL classes is somehow anti-American.

I can't debate somebody that is this off topic and not even relevant. So instead of wasting time, please read up on US history and gain some general understanding of immigrant communities in the US. Then learn some theories of ESL. After that, do a little sociological and demographic research on how assimilation works. It would prove beneficial as to broaden your horizons instead of relying on bumper sticker slogans as a basis of an argument.

I HOPE YOUR LISTENING.

A few quotes below
Quote:
A nation needs a common language as it needs a common currency,” said Governor Richard D. Lamm of Colorado

Quote:
The great philosopher Kant said, “The two great dividers are religion and language.

Quote:
Canada doesn’t know ‘who’ it is with 12 distinct languages and cultures now emerging from its relentless immigration policy.
Quote:
At a fair this year, one Pakistani immigrant told a Canadian, “This isn’t Canada anymore; it’s a world country.” In other words, Canada has displaced itself out of its own culture, identity and language. In order to protect its culture and language, Quebec will only invite those who speak French and share their culture.
Quote:
Wherever you see conflict in the world today, you see competing religions, cultures and languages. Any country may possess different cultures and religions, but once a country cannot communicate in one single language, it cannot continue its existence as a cohesive entity.
Quote:
London, England boasts two separate ‘cities’—the British inhabit one part of London and middle eastern immigrants inhabit the other. Two cultures, two languages, two different religions—total separation.
Quote:
Multiple languages balkanize any country. Seymour Martin Lipset said, “The histories of bi-lingual and bi-cultural societies that do not assimilate are histories of turmoil, tension and tragedy.”
Quote:
Look at French Canada and English Canada. Their battle continues to this day. “Belgium, Malaysia, Lebanon—all face crises of national existence in which minorities press for autonomy, if not independence,”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies