Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2011, 10:14 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
LOLs. I read something about this.

Instead of worrying about spilt milk we should be asking what is oil doing in milk in the first place?

I stopped drinking the cow juice a while back and switched to almond milk. cow juice has all kinds of nasty stuff in it. Like oil and cow blood. Eghad.
The EPA has now classified "fat" in milk the same as oil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 10:14 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,206,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffington View Post
Absolute insanity codified in a post. Pro-business my azz.
Gosh--I must be so naive!! Please explain to me how cutting the corporate tax rate and tax loopholes to make us competitive on a world market is problem? I must just not understand. And after all, those lower taxes that would allow the private sector to reinvest in their businesses, stimulating private sector job creation and encouraging foreign investment must be a commie plan. Especially the part about targeting government money that we do invest to R&D and infrastructure development that supports new business growth--you know, the one applauded by the Chamber of Commerce. Since you seem to be an expert on business development, and I'm obviously just a raging leftie that just doesn't get it, why don't you elaborate on the republican plan to encourage business growth in this country, and why I'm delusional?

I'd love to hear it.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:15 AM

The tax code and loopholes will not be closed/changed.
No matter how hard Obama "promises".
Big business owns government..they have before Obama got into office and they will after he leaves.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:16 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,590,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Oh yes..here's my story and I'm not even in business yet..at the planning stage still.

I'm a future potential small business owner in the area of Ag.
Beef cows/pigs (direct sales) and Farmer Markets (eggs/veggies/cheese).
Now I've been doing my planning and so forth.

Along comes NAIS. Dang..that will cost an arm and a leg to band every single chicken and pay annually to have them listed in some database so I follow it..squashed.

Along comes the Food Safety Bill. Dang..that will cost an arm and a leg and kill my plan to sell at Farmer Markets...Tester amendment exempted small farms.

Along comes Obamacare. Dang..that would prevent me from hiring someone to work those Farmer's Markets due to mandatory insurance that I don't know if I can afford...along comes the exemption for less than 25 workers.

Along comes this EPA regulation on milk spills. Dang..I might not be able to sell cheese at Farmer Markets due to needing a hazardous milk cleanup plan.
...this one is still in the works..hope they exempt farms with less than 100 cows.

It's not what we have to deal with today..it's the fear of what new bills/regulations pop up tomorrow from the looney bin in DC.

You have described the concerns small business owners face with this looney bin administration. But don't be fooled by any Obamacare, or other, exemptions. Until this man is out of office, be very careful in starting your business.

Good luck to you and your new business!!

Old 02-06-2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Gosh--I must be so naive!! Please explain to me how cutting the corporate tax rate and tax loopholes to make us competitive on a world market is problem? I must just not understand. And after all, those lower taxes that would allow the private sector to reinvest in their businesses, stimulating private sector job creation and encouraging foreign investment must be a commie plan. Especially the part about targeting government money that we do invest to R&D and infrastructure development that supports new business growth--you know, the one applauded by the Chamber of Commerce. Since you seem to be an expert on business development, and I'm obviously just a raging leftie that just doesn't get it, why don't you elaborate on the republican plan to encourage business growth in this country, and why I'm delusional?

I'd love to hear it.
R&D is now done mostly offshore.
PhD's are cheaper in Bangalore and Bejing..$35/40K per year.
There is no way any US plan will make us competitive.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Oh yes..here's my story and I'm not even in business yet..at the planning stage still.

I'm a future potential small business owner in the area of Ag.
Beef cows/pigs (direct sales) and Farmer Markets (eggs/veggies/cheese).
Now I've been doing my planning and so forth.

Along comes NAIS. Dang..that will cost an arm and a leg to band every single chicken and pay annually to have them listed in some database so I follow it..squashed.

Along comes the Food Safety Bill. Dang..that will cost an arm and a leg and kill my plan to sell at Farmer Markets...Tester amendment exempted small farms.

Along comes Obamacare. Dang..that would prevent me from hiring someone to work those Farmer's Markets due to mandatory insurance that I don't know if I can afford...along comes the exemption for less than 25 workers.

Along comes this EPA regulation on milk spills. Dang..I might not be able to sell cheese at Farmer Markets due to needing a hazardous milk cleanup plan.
...this one is still in the works..hope they exempt farms with less than 100 cows.

It's not what we have to deal with today..it's the fear of what new bills/regulations pop up tomorrow from the looney bin in DC.
I grew up on a family farm, and I understand your concern about food safety regulations. Thankfully most of the regs have exempted small farms, but you have businesses like Wright County Egg in Iowa to thank for the scrutiny--mega farms that just ignored food safety and ground water protection issues, and lots of people got sick. I don't think that type of regulation is going to change under any administration, because a broad sector of the public is demanding it. Let's just hope they continue to use common sense in application.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:24 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,068,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Is Obama daft?

Does the President really think that the purpose of business is to hire people and provide jobs? Is he really so clueless about the employee/employer relationship?
That my friend is the cornerstone of the liberal religion.
Yes, these people really and truly do believe this kind of nonsense. When reality continually crashes in on them they deny, deny, deny, and then blame. It's a type of mental disorder.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:
The tax code and loopholes will not be closed/changed.
No matter how hard Obama "promises".
Big business owns government..they have before Obama got into office and they will after he leaves.
Here's where I think you have a valid point. I think he's going to have a huge fight on his hands, because most of the loopholes right now are corporate lobbyist driven, and the rewards seem to go to the companies that give the biggest bucks to politicians on BOTH sides (although remember clearly who raked in the biggest corporate dollars during the last election cycle). From a strategic standpoint, I think what the president is trying to do is to get Americans to understand that supporting and investing in business at home is a PATRIOTIC thing to do (it absolutely is) and that the economy isn't going to get any better until we make the hard choices and do what's right to encourage private sector job creation in this country. That SHOULD be a broad bipartisan movement, but after reading some of the responses on this board, I'm wondering if the R's are going to try to sink tax reform just to try to play political games.

It puts them in a tough spot though--how can anyone legitimately be against cutting the corporate tax rate, especially people who call themselves conservatives.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Here's where I think you have a valid point. I think he's going to have a huge fight on his hands, because most of the loopholes right now are corporate lobbyist driven, and the rewards seem to go to the companies that give the biggest bucks to politicians on BOTH sides (although remember clearly who raked in the biggest corporate dollars during the last election cycle). From a strategic standpoint, I think what the president is trying to do is to get Americans to understand that supporting and investing in business at home is a PATRIOTIC thing to do (it absolutely is) and that the economy isn't going to get any better until we make the hard choices and do what's right to encourage private sector job creation in this country. That SHOULD be a broad bipartisan movement, but after reading some of the responses on this board, I'm wondering if the R's are going to try to sink tax reform just to try to play political games.

It puts them in a tough spot though--how can anyone legitimately be against cutting the corporate tax rate, especially people who call themselves conservatives.
And on the other side of the coin..we have a debt and revenue problem.
There has to be cuts in programs to offset any tax cut.

It has to be pay/go or this country will never recover under the growing debt of the FedGov. That's a legitimate concern as well.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
And on the other side of the coin..we have a debt and revenue problem.
There has to be cuts in programs to offset any tax cut.

It has to be pay/go or this country will never recover under the growing debt of the FedGov. That's a legitimate concern as well.
As far as corporate taxes go? 2/3 pay nothing right now. If those companies started paying even as much as my family pays in personal income taxes, I'm pretty sure it would more than offset an overall reduction in the tax rate. That's why the cut in the tax rate without closing the loopholes would be a disaster. You're absolutely right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies