Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 03:39 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Douglas maple grows in Southeast Alaska, but I hear there's little chance of finding an 8 inch+ diameter one to tap...
Never heard of that type maple. I wonder what % of sugar it can produce? I use sugar which can be up to 5%, and red which if yer lucky can be up to 3%. I avoid 8 inch trees..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverOne View Post
Help Rand Paul Defeat the UN Small Arms Treaty! - National Association for Gun Rights

Sec. Clinton is working with the UN on a small arms treaty that would outlaw any private weapon in the peoples hands.
She can try, the UN can try, but if I see any blue hats they will just be another target.

The Govt did not give us this Right, and so the Govt can not take it away. But they can try.

As to Hilliary, she broke the law switching jobs from being a senator to her possition now. Only a lunartic would think her worthy of anything better than common white trailer trash.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
You could always bring a few maple trees to Alaska. You would have a lot easier time growing them than you would fruit trees. Apparently moose like to munch on fruit trees like they were candy. Of course, an 8 foot tall fence around each tree would help prevent that.

Weather-wise, I do not think New Hampshire is much different than the Matanuska-Susitna Valley. The Mat-Su Borough, by the way, is 2.7 times the size of the state of New Hampshire. We are having a particularly warm winter so far.

I could not think of three worse places to be surrounded by, no wonder you are considering moving.
LOL yeah I can mail some even, but no one in my and or your life time, will tap a one. I am caring for a grove I will never live to tap myself. A minimum 1 bucket tree to me has to be 10 inches across at my shoulders.

The economy as it is means I might never get to see any of AK, a sad thought. I am sure I would like it there, be somewhat lost at first, but over all after a 1st year I would probably fit in somewhere.

If not nature would eat me and use up these old bones. That's gonna be how it is for me anyway, so I ain't worried.

I don't worry about much and have been in canada armed with flintlocks for historical reasons. I pass thru mass to get to NY, where my wife is from, way out in the western 'Southern Tier'. I go armed, and when we dated I was living there armed a year.

I did try to get a NY permit, but on the phone call I made from a pay phone The state so-called authority, mentioned this word called surrender, saying I must and it could take 9 months for the permit to pass.

My reply was My mother took 9 months to create me, and my father who fought in Sub in the pacfic knew understood that word surrender. No thanks I'l keep my guns , all of them and hung up the phone.

THe states have a problem I guess since I have been in 40 and was armed. I got a pistol permit from Mass once and that paper is meaningless. The Chief of Police had a like paper and he used his gun to blow his brains out.

I know what paper is. I saved that paper useless and out of date as it is to remind me of what paper is. I use this other softer paper to wipe my butt like most moderns do, but I didn't need that paper any more than I need a permit paper to get done what i do.

You guys in Ak sure do seem to be a little more free. NH ain't bad as it is..... You just have to ignore some things. Like notions people have on laws in cesspools like Mass and NY. I have gunner friends in both of those states, and they hate the hoops they are forced to jump.

If you cut Mass off at the Ct river and sent the eastern part into the sea the rest of the place would be pretty ok. And that NYC could go along for the ride. That stinking island gets it's way to rule the rest of the state.

MOOSE: Moose are a problem for both NH and AK as I see things. The only good thing about Moose is a dead on on the dinner table can't be beat. Then critters have been at tryin' ta' kill me a good long while now.

Last nov 2nd or 3rd I almost hit one in a 3/4 ton Van in a misty night driving home from a paleo man photo shoot. I saw another 3 days before.

The summer before last I hit a jeep cherokee on my Nomad motorbike that hit a moose. I had time to choose to hit the jeep or the moose and moose don't have any insurance.

About any day i want I can go find a moose, one day when I was looking I found 16. And Yeah they tear up all sorts of trees, and some are sugar maple. I found a moose scrap on a sugar maple in Fall and there were beads of amber sugar all over the wound. I know because i ran a finger over the beads and it was sugar alright. There is a fall run of sugar, but it isn't long enough to be much use.

Last edited by Mac_Muz; 02-11-2011 at 04:07 PM..

Old 02-11-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Well NH does have Vermont and Maine near it, pretty good states gun rights-wise. Of course, the three Northern New England states are like an island of relative freedom surrounded by hostile territory...
LOL I used to ride my motorbikes in Vt with no lid. I had no idea it was against the law there, and lost a fight over that idea right here on CD about a year ago. The VT cops never gave me a blink or a bother about it. Now I wonder why? I did this repeatedly since 1966.... Maine has no lid law either... I do wear lids but when I want too, not when some goobery mint ofishal says I must. Why I even own 3..

I will be wearing a full face lid the day the Goobermint limits what guns i can own. A helmet in a fight seems like a pretty good idea to me.

Old 02-11-2011, 04:18 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyr View Post
Most people will agree that private civilian ownership of active nuclear missile launchers is absurd, but what about rocket launchers, land mines, flamethrowers, artillery cannon, hand grenades, etc....

Many gun rights advocates would argue that civilians should be able to own the weapons which are adequetly designed for personal defense against an individual agressor or small band of aggressors...ie)shotguns, handguns, semi-auto rifles, etc. Yet, many of the same advocates argue that full automatic machineguns should remain legal (they are legal in several states)although they are designed primarilly for battlefield usage and are more or less "excessive" for home/personal defense usage.

So where should the line of legal ownership be drawn? If machine guns are legal, why not other battlefield weapons such as rocket launchers or flamethrowers?
I pretty much like the current laws. As far as machine guns go, I think the federal ban on owning machine guns made after 1986 can go and states should be able to decide whether or not to ban them individually. All current NFA rules should otherwise apply.

I justify private ownership of machine guns because honestly, they really aren't that much more dangerous than a semi-auto. It takes training to shoot one with accuracy and even then short bursts are necessary, not the Rambo-style bullet mowing that movies always seem to show. I know they sound scary and all that crap, but really they aren't, nor is shooting one particularly special. Banning them outright is unnecessary, especially with the tight NFA rules currently in place.

I don't think anything incendiary, explosive or centerfire rifle rounds larger than .50 should be legal otherwise.

Old 02-12-2011, 07:58 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
LOL I used to ride my motorbikes in Vt with no lid. I had no idea it was against the law there, and lost a fight over that idea right here on CD about a year ago. The VT cops never gave me a blink or a bother about it. Now I wonder why? I did this repeatedly since 1966.... Maine has no lid law either... I do wear lids but when I want too, not when some goobery mint ofishal says I must. Why I even own 3..

I will be wearing a full face lid the day the Goobermint limits what guns i can own. A helmet in a fight seems like a pretty good idea to me.
There is no helmet law in Alaska. President George H. W. Bush (#41) blocked all federal highway funds for Alaska from 1989 until 1991 in a vain attempt to pressure Alaska to change its law and require a helmet for motorcycle drivers. He failed.

I used to ride a motorcycle before moving to Alaska. I sold it just before I moved. The roads in Alaska are not very good, when compared to other states. I never had to deal with frost-heaves while living in Los Angeles. They will ruin a biker's day.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I pretty much like the current laws. As far as machine guns go, I think the federal ban on owning machine guns made after 1986 can go and states should be able to decide whether or not to ban them individually. All current NFA rules should otherwise apply.

I justify private ownership of machine guns because honestly, they really aren't that much more dangerous than a semi-auto. It takes training to shoot one with accuracy and even then short bursts are necessary, not the Rambo-style bullet mowing that movies always seem to show. I know they sound scary and all that crap, but really they aren't, nor is shooting one particularly special. Banning them outright is unnecessary, especially with the tight NFA rules currently in place.

I don't think anything incendiary, explosive or centerfire rifle rounds larger than .50 should be legal otherwise.
I like the current laws as well. We are not subject to any federal law. We can own fully automatic machine guns. We can also own incendiary, explosive, and center-fire ammo that is larger than .50 caliber.

FYI, a 12-gauge shotgun fires .65 caliber center-fire slugs.

Old 02-12-2011, 09:43 AM

Glitch I don't think I would have motorcycles in AK either. NH has a lid law for those under 18. I wear them when I want and not when I don't want. Some days are just too good to wear a lid.

Never havin been in AK, my best guess is a 3/4 ton pick up is good for going to town to shop in 3 seasons, and a sled is the ticket in most of winter.

I never owned a sled, but have used them for working. Working was grooming and tacking apx 40 miles of trail for x-c skiing, getting wood out with a old car hood for a trailer, and things like that, plus people sometimes bring them to me for fixing.

Once when I was in Fla I was surprised to see any sleds at all, but down there in swamps they get some use, surprising as that seems.

let us not forget the 10 Ga shot gun either.....

Old 02-12-2011, 09:45 AM

326 posts, read 429,951 times
No limit. Second amendment guarantees I can protect myself by any means necessary. What if the government decides to seize my property? I should be allowed to have nuclear, chemical, and whatever option available.

LOL. Just kidding.

Old 02-12-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Glitch I don't think I would have motorcycles in AK either. NH has a lid law for those under 18. I wear them when I want and not when I don't want. Some days are just too good to wear a lid.
We have the same law. If they are under the age of 18, they must wear a helmet while either driving or riding as a passenger.

Quote:
Never havin been in AK, my best guess is a 3/4 ton pick up is good for going to town to shop in 3 seasons, and a sled is the ticket in most of winter.
I use my pick-up to haul my trash to the landfill. For just about everything else, I drive my Toyota Corolla.

Quote:
I never owned a sled, but have used them for working. Working was grooming and tacking apx 40 miles of trail for x-c skiing, getting wood out with a old car hood for a trailer, and things like that, plus people sometimes bring them to me for fixing.

Once when I was in Fla I was surprised to see any sleds at all, but down there in swamps they get some use, surprising as that seems.

let us not forget the 10 Ga shot gun either.....
I have not fired a 10-gauge in decades. My father owned one, and I used it from time to time to hunt pheasant in Nebraska during the 60s. I hear that 10-gauges are making a come-back since steel-shot became a requirement.

A 10-gauge shotgun is .78 caliber or 19.7mm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies