Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 11:49 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Who the hell is bringing in the bed bugs?
\Bed Bugs Cases Explode To Epidemic Scale In NYC - WPIX

Exactly. Bed bugs weren't a problem in the US for the last 80yrs.

Now it is epidemic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 11:52 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
Tourists!!

[The only thing worse than a tourist is a coughing tourist with a camera ]

Old 02-11-2011, 02:11 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,351,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Exactly. Bed bugs weren't a problem in the US for the last 80yrs.

Now it is epidemic.

Wondered why we do not hear of or see any bedbug infestation in our area. There's no immigrant "diversity" here either.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:34 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
It's time that Homeland Security actually did its job - Protect the homeland.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/11/ny...s.html?_r=2&hp

Stricter controls on immigration need to be enforced. Not only on people but on products imported from foreign nations.
I don't know what you mean about stricter but I do wonder how a mosquito in Africa survives in an airplane. Perhaps luggage from there (and other tropical countries) ought to be fumigated before cargo is loaded? Similar things happen with produce being imported, tarantulas and other funky bugs. No clue how they go about dealing with that but it's mostly a non problem.

If you'd really relish getting ridiculous about absolute safety the entire state of New Mexico needs quarantine if bubonic plague is endemic. I think they'd have a problem with that plan. I was around those parts during the hanta virus scare. Do your best not to breathe, see how long that lasts. NM appears to need some predators to knock down the rodent population. ASPCA- please send all the cat's you've got.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Who the hell is bringing in the bed bugs?
\Bed Bugs Cases Explode To Epidemic Scale In NYC - WPIX
I'm certain that the republicans are spinning a story about how liberals, and their liberally liberalness did it. Just wait, they haven't gotten that far down the list of all things wrong in the world on which to attribute blame to liberals.

Old 02-11-2011, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Wondered why we do not hear of or see any bedbug infestation in our area. There's no immigrant "diversity" here either.
Well Ma'am if you think bedbugs are bad, you do NOT want to go underground in a manhole and find out how many roaches live down there. If the walls are moving... shudders. It's a pretty clean city relatively speaking, but never never go down there.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:33 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Well Ma'am if you think bedbugs are bad, you do NOT want to go underground in a manhole and find out how many roaches live down there. If the walls are moving... shudders. It's a pretty clean city relatively speaking, but never never go down there.
I don't live underground and I'm not partial to manholes so I'm not going to go roach huntin', will you?

Old 02-11-2011, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Beat me to it, it was in the second paragraph.
So now all travelers are immigrants.

Some people start threads just to incite...
FAIL.
Not a "fail".

When you travel internationally you pass through IMMIGRATION. Or have you NEVER TRAVELLED outside the USA. It doesn't say "travelation", it says "IMMIGRATION".

What department is in control of our borders?

Homeland Security...

Who's the one in charge of making sure we're safe from diseases coming into this country?

Homeland Security/Border Control.

They're too busy checking out peoples body parts in these stupid naked scanners to take time to screen packages for disease carrying cargo and infected people.

Do they even ASK to see your IMMUNIZATION RECORDS ANYMORE WHEN YOU TRAVEL INTERNATIONALLY?

I HAVE NEVER BEEN ASKED TO SHOW MY IMMUNIZATION RECORD LEAVING THE USA OR ENTERING THE USA HAVE YOU?

Quote:
“That to me is what the fascinating thing about it is,” Dr. Weiss said. “All these individual factors that have to do with ecology, population, animals, different people traveling from all over the world. There’s that perfect storm that has to happen, and then you might have something interesting.”
The bolded sentence is the point of this thread. IMMIGRATION AND PRODUCTS being IMPORTED into this country NEED TO BE CHECKED THOROUGHLY.

Since the heck when does the USA have a CHOLERA outbreak?

Quote:
As for cholera, New York City receives reports of about one case a year, almost always found in someone who has traveled abroad, so the three cases of last weekend represent a bit of an increase. All three people attended the same wedding in the Dominican Republic, where health officials said they contracted the disease, which is spread by ingesting bacteria-contaminated food or water.
And you think this has ZERO to do with IMMIGRATION?

Get REAL!

Last edited by LuckyGem; 02-11-2011 at 09:49 AM..

Old 02-11-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
I don't know what you mean about stricter but I do wonder how a mosquito in Africa survives in an airplane. Perhaps luggage from there (and other tropical countries) ought to be fumigated before cargo is loaded? Similar things happen with produce being imported, tarantulas and other funky bugs. No clue how they go about dealing with that but it's mostly a non problem.

If you'd really relish getting ridiculous about absolute safety the entire state of New Mexico needs quarantine if bubonic plague is endemic. I think they'd have a problem with that plan. I was around those parts during the hanta virus scare. Do your best not to breathe, see how long that lasts. NM appears to need some predators to knock down the rodent population. ASPCA- please send all the cat's you've got.
I carry an Immunization record when I travel internationally however not ONCE have I ever been asked to show it leaving the USA or ENTERING the USA.

EVER.

That means they're not screening people for their immunizations when ENTERING the USA from foreign countries either.

I know this for a fact because my husband is not American and when he enters the USA they have NEVER asked him for an immunization record. But they give him the 3rd degree with fingerprints and photographs at Passport and Immigration Control at his point of entry into the USA.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:58 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I carry an Immunization record when I travel internationally however not ONCE have I ever been asked to show it leaving the USA or ENTERING the USA.

EVER.

That means they're not screening people for their immunizations when ENTERING the USA from foreign countries either.

I know this for a fact because my husband is not American and when he enters the USA they have NEVER asked him for an immunization record. But they give him the 3rd degree with fingerprints and photographs at Passport and Immigration Control at his point of entry into the USA.
Because they are fixated now on finding terrorists with bombs.
Or illegal tshirts being shipped here. Take your pick.

By not doing their jobs..we have opened our borders and are not protecting our citizens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies