Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 03:09 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,224,121 times

Advertisements

State laws vary but raccoons invading property or threatening livestock and pets are considered varmints in many jurisdictions. Then there is the fact that raccoon hunting is a popular -- and legal -- sport in some parts of America. (That means the coon hounds will tree the animal and/or kill it on their own.)

There's a whole new wrinkle involved in this story. There were witnesses to the family pet dog killing the coon and they filmed it. Now the dog's owner has been charged and will be prosecuted.

Is this guy just another Michael Vick?

Seth Foster, 23, said he found his family garage in disarray last summer and sent his dog in the building to investigate.
Grizz, a blue heeler, returned with the culprit, a young raccoon.
As two teenage boys watched, one of them filming its actions with a cell phone, Grizz killed the coon, Foster said.
Now, Foster is facing a misdemeanor charge of animal cruelty resulting in death, which is punishable by a maximum of 90 days in jail and a $500 fine. A jury trial is scheduled for Feb. 25 in Jackson County District Court.
Foster, whose father owns a nuisance animal control business, contends he did not do anything wrong. The raccoon damaged his family’s property on Ivan Drive in Spring Arbor Township.
“It’s ridiculous,” he said of the charge. “Everybody I’ve talked to says it’s ridiculous.”
There is a proper way to deal with a pest and it does not involve animal agony, said Chief Assistant Prosecutor Mark Blumer. Raccoons can be trapped alive or quickly and efficiently killed, he said.
Blumer said the dog was encouraged to attack the raccoon and “tear it apart.” He likened this to cockfighting or dogfighting, both of which are illegal. “There is legitimate sport, and then there’s cruel sport,” he said.

More at the link (read the comments for local reaction):

Man faces misdemeanor charge of animal cruelty after his dog kills young raccoon that caused some damage to garage | MLive.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 03:10 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,849,062 times
No this person shouldnt. This is just ridiculous

Old 02-10-2011, 03:13 PM

8,891 posts, read 5,375,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
Then there is the fact that raccoon hunting is a popular -- and legal -- sport in some parts of America. (That means the coon hounds will tree the animal and/or kill it on their own.)
Is someone allowed to hunt raccoons whenever and wherever they feel like it?

Old 02-10-2011, 03:15 PM

45,413 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post

Depends on the state.

Old 02-10-2011, 03:18 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,674,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
State laws vary but raccoons invading property or threatening livestock and pets are considered varmints in many jurisdictions. Then there is the fact that raccoon hunting is a popular -- and legal -- sport in some parts of America. (That means the coon hounds will tree the animal and/or kill it on their own.)

There's a whole new wrinkle involved in this story. There were witnesses to the family pet dog killing the coon and they filmed it. Now the dog's owner has been charged and will be prosecuted.

Is this guy just another Michael Vick?

Seth Foster, 23, said he found his family garage in disarray last summer and sent his dog in the building to investigate.
Grizz, a blue heeler, returned with the culprit, a young raccoon.
As two teenage boys watched, one of them filming its actions with a cell phone, Grizz killed the coon, Foster said.
Now, Foster is facing a misdemeanor charge of animal cruelty resulting in death, which is punishable by a maximum of 90 days in jail and a $500 fine. A jury trial is scheduled for Feb. 25 in Jackson County District Court.
Foster, whose father owns a nuisance animal control business, contends he did not do anything wrong. The raccoon damaged his family’s property on Ivan Drive in Spring Arbor Township.
“It’s ridiculous,” he said of the charge. “Everybody I’ve talked to says it’s ridiculous.”
There is a proper way to deal with a pest and it does not involve animal agony, said Chief Assistant Prosecutor Mark Blumer. Raccoons can be trapped alive or quickly and efficiently killed, he said.
Blumer said the dog was encouraged to attack the raccoon and “tear it apart.” He likened this to cockfighting or dogfighting, both of which are illegal. “There is legitimate sport, and then there’s cruel sport,” he said.

More at the link (read the comments for local reaction):

Man faces misdemeanor charge of animal cruelty after his dog kills young raccoon that caused some damage to garage | MLive.com
That is what we call a coon dog in the midwest. Did the dog get a treat?

Old 02-10-2011, 03:30 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,944,845 times
Quote:
It depends up on the state and if you are talking about "hunting", nuisance abatement, or a dog doing what dogs will naturally do.

I had a rescued ESS who was a natural hunter with a very strong prey drive. He killed full size adult groundhogs without hesitation. I have a 7 mo. old pup now who caught his first wild bunnies when he was 9 weeks of age. He's chased racoons at night but luckily has not had a sucessful catch. Should I be in jail for animal cruelty too?

I think the defining difference in this case is not the dog's owner but the juveniles who chose to tape the incident and then post it on the internet. That is what pushed the whole thing over the top to an appearence of "cruelty", IMO. YMMV

What happens on the internet stays on the internet.

Old 02-10-2011, 03:33 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,806,242 times
Quote:

If it's in your house...pretty much.

Old 02-10-2011, 03:33 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,572,254 times
seems like a pretty weak case, and definitely not the same as michael vick.

Old 02-10-2011, 03:37 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,396,474 times
My dog kills snakes around my house too, does that make me guilty of animal cruelty?

I think not. No these people shouldn't be charged with anything. Raccoons aren't endangered, they get into the trash, they can kill your dog or a young child, and if they are around your house you should be able to dispose of them in anyway necessary.

Old 02-10-2011, 03:38 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,952,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
It depends up on the state and if you are talking about "hunting", nuisance abatement, or a dog doing what dogs will naturally do.

I had a rescued ESS who was a natural hunter with a very strong prey drive. He killed full size adult groundhogs without hesitation. I have a 7 mo. old pup now who caught his first wild bunnies when he was 9 weeks of age. He's chased racoons at night but luckily has not had a sucessful catch. Should I be in jail for animal cruelty too?

I think the defining difference in this case is not the dog's owner but the juveniles who chose to tape the incident and then post it on the internet. That is what pushed the whole thing over the top to an appearence of "cruelty", IMO. YMMV

What happens on the internet stays on the internet.
I can't believe it. I agree with the Mogal. Never happened before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies