Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2011, 01:58 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,036,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
What this thread is really asking: Is Capitalism going to be able to break down the walls of racism and culturalism? Is Capitalism going to be able to change how people have historically dealt with those who are different from them?
I would argue that in the case of the very unique form of racism that was developed in the U.S. was spawned by a nascent capitalist society. It was weaned and nurtured because it was profitable before, during and after slavery. While there many social manifestations of American racism, the key facet was economic. Ethnic minorities, African Americans, Mexicans and Chinese in particular were a commodity and a too of the profit motive. So, I would argue that any abatement in America's form of racism came in spite of capitalism not because of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 02:31 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,810,847 times
Quote:
Historically people have stuck together with their "own kind" because they felt it was in their own best interests.
How so? What kind of interests are we talking about? As the Jeffersonian quote I posted earlier suggests, the early settlers in this country were intolerant of others on various grounds . How do you tie that intolerance to their “best interests”?

Old 02-18-2011, 07:36 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,640,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randy8876 View Post
I'd make a terrible Stormfronter since I value intelligence first.
Nah, actually, you'd - excuse me, you - fit right in.

Quote:
My closest friends are diverse by race, but all quite similar by IQ.
Did you administer the tests yourself?

Quote:
Your problem is you believe that PC BS should trump fact and reason. You want diversity, and only want to acknowledge positive traits. When a culture/group has poor values, then they will fail in America.
There is no racial characteristic to failure. Or to success, for that matter.

Quote:
Hence the terrible results from black people, and the stunning results from Asians.
Tell that to my two Mandarin-speaking black children.

Quote:
Garbage values make for garbage people.
Exhibit A speaks the truth.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Actually, Cleopatra in modern fiction is touted as beautiful. The images we have of her, and the literature of the time do not say she was beautiful. They talk of her intelligence, and her education, and her voice. She evidently had a very compelling voice.

Inbreeding leads to a genetic pool that is increasingly limited, and where various abnormalities become concentrated. For instance, the royal families of Europe were guilty of having become inbred by the beginning of the 20th century, and several royal houses suffered genetic problems as a result of that inbreeding. As an odds game, the odds for problems increase as the genetic pool becomes smaller. It's genetics, with a lot of variables, so there is no guarantee that an individual born of a limited genetic pool is going to have problems, but the odds increase that there will be problems as the genetic pool becomes smaller and smaller.

True. I sometimes wonder what the royals they don't let us see look/act like?

Old 02-19-2011, 05:18 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,192,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
True. I sometimes wonder what the royals they don't let us see look/act like?
Prince Harry?

Old 02-19-2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Prince Harry?

Nah. He's one of the more normal ones. That palace where they live is awful expansive............lots of room for the ones they don't let out.

Old 02-20-2011, 01:22 PM

4,901 posts, read 3,358,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purger View Post
It is a big failure. I predict a civil war will happen in the USA somewhere in the next 40-90 years (depending on various factors).
If an all-out race war occurs, I say bring it on!!!

As they say in war:

To the victor goes the spoils!!!

And of course that includes the womenz lol

Old 02-21-2011, 09:50 AM

2,385 posts, read 4,332,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I would argue that in the case of the very unique form of racism that was developed in the U.S. was spawned by a nascent capitalist society. It was weaned and nurtured because it was profitable before, during and after slavery. While there many social manifestations of American racism, the key facet was economic. Ethnic minorities, African Americans, Mexicans and Chinese in particular were a commodity and a too of the profit motive. So, I would argue that any abatement in America's form of racism came in spite of capitalism not because of it.
If you read any literature that Europeans write about other races, you will see they were VERY racist before they had even discovered America. Racism wasn't "spawned" in the U.S., that's ridiculous. The Founding Fathers and their ancestors were racist before they set foot in America.

Capitalism thwarts racism because Capitists are opportunists. Illegals from south of the border aren't paid really low wages because they're Latino, they're paid low wages because that's what they'll work for. If Canadians would work for the same wages, corporations would hire them as well. In Capitalism, no one cares about your race or where you come from, so long as you're the person that gets the job done most efficiently.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:56 AM

2,385 posts, read 4,332,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
How so? What kind of interests are we talking about? As the Jeffersonian quote I posted earlier suggests, the early settlers in this country were intolerant of others on various grounds . How do you tie that intolerance to their “best interests”?
You have to look at it from the early Settlers point of view. They were super-religious and felt that anyone who didn't share their views was going straight to hell and if they befriended these other people, the Settlers would go straight to hell, too. It might be hard to imagine now, but the early Settlers really, really believed this. So, in their minds, it was in their own best interests to either force others to practice and believe the same way they did, or to shun that person.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:57 AM

2,208 posts, read 1,835,572 times
Quote:
If you read any literature that Europeans write about other races, you will see they were VERY racist before they had even discovered America. Racism wasn't "spawned" in the U.S., that's ridiculous. The Founding Fathers and their ancestors were racist before they set foot in America.

Capitalism thwarts racism because Capitists are opportunists. Illegals from south of the border aren't paid really low wages because they're Latino, they're paid low wages because that's what they'll work for. If Canadians would work for the same wages, corporations would hire them as well. In Capitalism, no one cares about your race or where you come from, so long as you're the person that gets the job done most efficiently.
Capitalism isn't free from racism. Ideally it is, in practice it's not entirely free from human notions and stereotypes. Hence why minorities are often paid less than their White counterparts for the same job. Or how minority sounding names are less likely to be asked for an interview than more "Anglo" sounding names. Unfortunately, the "blind hand" doesn't take a blind eye or ear as it were.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies