Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 08:28 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,952,342 times

Advertisements

I was not aware until a few days ago that Fred Koch (father of the Koch brothers) was a founding member of the John Birch Society. I did a little research of my own.

Glenn Beck is following the John Birch Society philosophy, which has always been described as radical ultra right wing. They were against the civil rights movement because of the "communist conspiracy theory". Hey don't take my word for it look it up as Beck says. Read about John Birch society and tell me that Beck is not parroting the same thought that is been around for decades, but he is not alone.

The Koch Brothers are following in their father's footsteps exerting strong political influence. They are calling what has always been called radical and extremism as mainstream. They have changed the outside label, but if you look inside it is just the same ole crap from the John Birch Society.

The interesting thing here is that this groupd of radical conservatives are different from the other radical group of conservatives...Neo Cons. It would seem that we have replaced one radical group of Conservatives with another. Beck would be a good example of a John Birch Republican with Kristol and Cheney being part of the neo con.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 08:38 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,509,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I was not aware until a few days ago that Fred Koch (father of the Koch brothers) was a founding member of the John Birch Society. I did a little research of my own.

Glenn Beck is following the John Birch Society philosophy, which has always been described as radical ultra right wing. They were against the civil rights movement because of the "communist conspiracy theory". Hey don't take my word for it look it up as Beck says. Read about John Birch society and tell me that Beck is not parroting the same thought that is been around for decades, but he is not alone.

The Koch Brothers are following in their father's footsteps exerting strong political influence. They are calling what has always been called radical and extremism as mainstream. They have changed the outside label, but if you look inside it is just the same ole crap from the John Birch Society.

The interesting thing here is that this groupd of radical conservatives are different from the other radical group of conservatives...Neo Cons. It would seem that we have replaced one radical group of Conservatives with another. Beck would be a good example of a John Birch Republican with Kristol and Cheney being part of the neo con.
It is laughable to think Glenn Beck is a John Birch conservative.

The John Birch Society believes the U.S. government should follow the Constitution. That is all they are about. And they have been proven correct about most things. And John Birch folk were never against the civil rights movement. Never.

Beck is a neocon that talks like a libertarian on occassion.

P.S. I still find it curious that when Beck was on CNN critcizing George W. Bush nobody on the left had a probblem with him. Peculiar.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
It is laughable to think Glenn Beck is a John Birch conservative.

The John Birch Society believes the U.S. government should follow the Constitution. That is all they are about. And they have been proven correct about most things. And John Birch folk were never against the civil rights movement. Never.

Beck is a neocon that talks like a libertarian on occassion.

P.S. I still find it curious that when Beck was on CNN critcizing George W. Bush nobody on the left had a probblem with him. Peculiar.
RFLAO!!!!

"And, yes, while were at it, and for the record, The John Birch Society is against "civil" rights."

This quote is from their own website.
Rachel Maddow Lavishes Christmas Presents on John Birch Society.

Beck sounds just like the Birch society. Hey look them up if you don't believe me. Read some articles about them, read their history. I am just stating the facts.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:56 AM

1,777 posts, read 1,403,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
The John Birch Society believes the U.S. government should follow the Constitution. That is all they are about. And they have been proven correct about most things.
The John Birch Society wants the government to follow the Constitution as they believe it to be. Believe it or not, but right wingers do not hold a monopoly on love and understanding of the Constitution and what it says and stands for. The John Birch Society is not the ultimate arbiter on what the Constitution means.

Quote:
And John Birch folk were never against the civil rights movement. Never.
The Palm Beach Post - Google News Archive Search

Here is an entire article by the John Birch Society opposing the civil rights movement.

I know you'll quote the first paragraph that says there's nothing wrong with civil rights, but they then spend the rest of the article saying that the movement as led by civil rights activists like King and Malcolm X were communists, or being led by communists. The article is a polemic against the movement; so maybe you'll want to revise what you've said here.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:00 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,861,032 times
Could it be, the JBS nuts think Beck is a bigger nut than them?

Old 02-13-2011, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc42gb43 View Post
The John Birch Society wants the government to follow the Constitution as they believe it to be. Believe it or not, but right wingers do not hold a monopoly on love and understanding of the Constitution and what it says and stands for. The John Birch Society is not the ultimate arbiter on what the Constitution means.

Here is an entire article by the John Birch Society opposing the civil rights movement.

I know you'll quote the first paragraph that says there's nothing wrong with civil rights, but they then spend the rest of the article saying that the movement as led by civil rights activists like King and Malcolm X were communists, or being led by communists. The article is a polemic against the movement; so maybe you'll want to revise what you've said here.
The same conspiracy theories that the Birchers were using in the 60's against civil rights are the same ones Beck and Koch brothers use now. There is nothing original in what they are saying...It has just been rebranded.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Could it be, the JBS nuts think Beck is a bigger nut than them?
I figured Beck was not that smart. Now I know he just stole all of his conspiracies from the John Bich society.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc42gb43 View Post
Quote:
Never said they were. The left is not the ultimate arbiter on what the Constitution means either.

Quote:
I know you'll quote the first paragraph that says there's nothing wrong with civil rights, but they then spend the rest of the article saying that the movement as led by civil rights activists like King and Malcolm X were communists, or being led by communists. The article is a polemic against the movement; so maybe you'll want to revise what you've said here
They don't mention King or Malcom, that I saw. And they say the communists were behind the civil rights movement. They also say white people were involved. And they say communists were racists and had "duped" the American public. You might disagree but there is nothing there to suggest that the John Birch people are racist or were against the progress of black folk.

The philosophy of the John Birch people at the time was that blacks were making progress in the U.S. without help from the feds. There was good reason to believe that since it was true. And, given time, attitudes by whites would continue to change for the better.

Amazingly, attitudes by white folk towards blacks has changed. Maybe the John Birch people were right.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:25 AM

45,232 posts, read 26,457,645 times
So you can't be against the Civil Rights Act without being against civil rights?

Proving people really do believe government is in place to show them how to live their lives

Old 02-13-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
RFLAO!!!!

"And, yes, while were at it, and for the record, The John Birch Society is against "civil" rights."

This quote is from their own website.
Rachel Maddow Lavishes Christmas Presents on John Birch Society.

Beck sounds just like the Birch society. Hey look them up if you don't believe me. Read some articles about them, read their history. I am just stating the facts.
You need to read the definition they use for civil rights.

Again nothing they say could be considered wrong or racist. They were campaigning for states to abolish Jim Crow laws. The reasoning: The feds were overstepping their Constitutional authority. And any "right" granted by the feds is not a right. I agree. If the feds can grant "rights" then they can also take away those "rights". The feds should protect our God-given rights.

I know plenty about the John Birch Society. I was never a memeber but I subscribed to their magazine for plenty of years. Nothing they support could be considered racist or anti-minority or anything else the critics throw at them. And very little of what I have heard Beck say would be comparable to the John Birch folk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies