Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2011, 12:35 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,280,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Help is voluntary action.
Confiscation of property by force and redistributing to a favored comrade would only be deemed "help" in N Korea, China, etc.
I wanted to rep you for this but can't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

20,892 posts, read 16,083,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
The SEC has refused to release these numbers and when GM was under ownership, basically, but this administration, it did not publish the required annual report to include that information.
This is just dumb.

GM is a publicly traded company.

Their complete financial record is public by law. They release the details quarterly.

And it's not the SEC's job to do that.

19,890 posts, read 18,758,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Stock is worth exactly what it is worth at the moment you go check.

The possibility of future losses does not magically make an actual current profit disappear.

You really have a thing for time travel.

It ain't a check my friend. The value contstantly changes. One minute makes the actual current profit change. You should really stay out of the stock market and this conversation too.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:36 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,733,310 times
It is EASY to make a profit when you can shift your legacy pension obligations to the US taxpayers and stiff your creditors under the guise of "New GM".

Old 02-14-2011, 12:36 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,083,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Quick question...my GM shares I bought back in 2004. They're worth 36 a share according to the ticker, right? Sweet!

I'm going to sell them right after I sell my GM bonds.

I'll let you know how it goes.
You do that.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:37 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,827,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
No need to sell it, historiandude says it will always be worth $60 a share. lol
No, but that is something you're getting from his post. The problem is... your understanding.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:37 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,288,764 times
Quote:
You do that.
Didn't work. No profit sharing for this bondholder/shareholder. Something about it being worthless. That's impossible! The ticker is "GM", I know I own it, and I've been a loyal shareholder since 2004! They told me my bonds weren't worth anything either. Don't know how that's possible, they're still in business and out of bankruptcy.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:38 PM

3,189 posts, read 4,983,879 times
Quote:
They have paid back all the money they were loaned, though. They owe nothing more.
PROVEN WRONG...see my links.

Quote:
And when it's the middle class that gets bonuses, it's the right wingers who show up with torches aflame.

A fascinating difference, don't you think?
The only thing fascinating is the contradiction of the Left.

For ONE thing, the Wall Street guys work on a commission paid in bonuses at the end of the year. They COUNT on those bonuses as that is a major part of their total salary.

What GM is giving is profit sharing which is totally different especially when the company still owes the taxpayers back money.

Quote:
I am a capitalist. I believe profit sharing is always a good thing.

It's a good thing when the company is not in arrears with people that loaned them money!

Weren't you Lefties screaming about Wall Street paying their commission bonuses because they were playing with taxpayer's money?

Old 02-14-2011, 12:39 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,280,580 times
Quote:
Now?

And you have been... where exactly since 1913?
Surely you realize what was meant by that statement about them having to pay income taxes. chielgirl sounded like she didn't think it was fair for them to have to pay income taxes on their bonuses. Hell, their jobs were saved by the government. Their union was given all that control of the company and the bondholders were screwed, all by the government and then the government appointed the head men to run the company for the government.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:40 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,733,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Didn't work. No profit sharing for this bondholder/shareholder. Something about it being worthless. That's impossible! The ticker is "GM", I know I own it, and I've been a loyal shareholder since 2004! They told me my bonds weren't worth anything either. Don't know how that's possible, they're still in business and out of bankruptcy.
IMPOSSIBLE. The old GM shares were cancelled and a new IPO was issued for the new GM shares. You could NOT still own GM. GM was not permitted to file for bankruptcy protection. That would have allowed the original bondholders to get paid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies