Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 10:51 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times

Advertisements

We saw Barney Franke's collegues rally around him on the House floor with a standing ovation when he was censured for corruption.

Now we see seasoned Democrats doing everything they can to keep Darrell Issa's probes and investigations from draining the swamp.

Liberals launch anti-Darrell Issa crusade - Jake Sherman and John Bresnahan - POLITICO.com

Quote:
The group will be run by the principals of SCN Strategies, a San Francisco-based consulting firm that produced ads last cycle for California’s Democratic Gov. Jerry Brown and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.). One of those deeply involved is Averell “Ace” Smith — who ran Hillary Clinton’s successful 2008 California and Texas primary operations and is known as one of the more cutthroat political operatives in the business.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 11:00 AM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Protecting corruption?

Or protecting against another GOP witch hunt?

Old 02-15-2011, 11:07 AM

952 posts, read 942,121 times
Protecting corruption?

you accuse the "most transparent Administration in History"....of protecting corruption?!

how wooood!

...and racist

...and rednecky

...and paranoid

...and mean

...and...and..(insert disingenuous liberal flotsam and jetsam)

Old 02-15-2011, 11:09 AM

4,627 posts, read 10,468,364 times
"Come on, guys. This is a guy who's been indicted for stealing a car, who once fired someone by putting a gun on the table, who was arrested for carrying a concealed weapon, and who was once accused of burning down a building for business purposes. Is this really necessary? You're only making him seem more legitimate by making a fuss of trying to do to him what he's already perfectly capable of doing to himself."

(Quote from New York magazine 02/2011)

This is the man whom you believe is qualified to ferret out alleged corruption, and in whom you place your trust to do the right thing?

Old 02-15-2011, 11:11 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,201,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Protecting corruption?

Or protecting against another GOP witch hunt?
That's just it. I didn't vote for Clinton, and I've never liked him, but the R witch hunt in his administration was out of control. As an R, I was disgusted with my own party. I think the Dem's learned a valuable lesson during that whole mess--they thought if they let the R's do their thing, they'd be reasonable. Didn't happen--the R's were just out to try to stir up doubt and hysteria--so now the Dem's are fighting back this time and trying to nip it in the bud.

FYI--rooting out corruption, vs. investigating without cause in order to cast doubt on someone for political purposes, are NOT the same thing. I don't expect some of you to understand the subtleties.

Bottom line--Investigating someone for political purposes alone IS an abuse of power and corrupt.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:11 AM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post
"Come on, guys. This is a guy who's been indicted for stealing a car, who once fired someone by putting a gun on the table, who was arrested for carrying a concealed weapon, and who was once accused of burning down a building for business purposes. Is this really necessary? You're only making him seem more legitimate by making a fuss of trying to do to him what he's already perfectly capable of doing to himself."

(Quote from New York magazine 02/2011)

This is the man whom you believe is qualified to ferret out alleged corruption, and in whom you place your trust to do the right thing?
Maybe they're working on the theory it takes a thief to catch one. They tried it with an adulterer and failed miserably at great expense to the taxpayers, so much for cutting spending

Old 02-15-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
That's just it. I didn't vote for Clinton, and I've never liked him, but the R witch hunt in his administration was out of control. As an R, I was disgusted with my own party. I think the Dem's learned a valuable lesson during that whole mess--they thought if they let the R's do their thing, they'd be reasonable. Didn't happen--the R's were just out to try to stir up doubt and hysteria--so now the Dem's are fighting back this time and trying to nip it in the bud.

FYI--rooting out corruption, vs. investigating without cause in order to cast doubt on someone for political purposes, are NOT the same thing. I don't expect some of you to understand the subtleties.

Bottom line--Investigating someone for political purposes alone IS an abuse of power and corrupt.
Please back up your supposition that there is no cause behind the Issa investigations. Use links please.

Where was this group in making government more transparent when Nancy Pelosi promised the most ethical House ever? Why didn't they help her drain the swamp instead of fighting Issa's attempts to gather information?

Old 02-15-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Maybe they're working on the theory it takes a thief to catch one. They tried it with an adulterer and failed miserably at great expense to the taxpayers, so much for cutting spending
That's the really funny part--what the heck happened to the economy?

If the R's try this it will backfire. I think the public is in a very different place than they were in during the 90's--they're not in the mood for games this time. It's all a distraction tactic by the R's vs. dealing with substance.

I'm going to vote for which ever party gets off it's backside and works toward policies that support private sector job creation. The last election was won by the R's by a landslide over the economy, but the D's are assuming the leadership role on that issue now. This smells like desperation to me--if you can't win on the issues, trash your opponent. Classy, but they've done it before.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Please back up your supposition that there is no cause behind the Issa investigations. Use links please.

Where was this group in making government more transparent when Nancy Pelosi promised the most ethical House ever? Why didn't they help her drain the swamp instead of fighting Issa's attempts to gather information?
Why don't you find your own links to prove there is--you started the thread--and I'm not talking about a conservative blog or FOX. Get real.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Why don't you find your own links to prove there is--you started the thread--and I'm not talking about a conservative blog or FOX. Get real.
You stated that there was no cause behind the investigations basically accusing Issa of a political witch hunt. Prove it! Or, do you support the Democrat attempt to conceal and protect their own corruption?

I mean, if they didn't do anything then there is nothing to hide, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies