Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2011, 07:15 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,385,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Yes, but it was the democrats who walked out and shut down the legislature who shut down the democratic process.
Yes, that's why I called it ironic that a Democratic Senator said this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 07:15 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,122,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
So the Gov of Wis has promised layoffs if he doesn't get his way. Nice repug thuggery. Yep looking more and more like a 1 term Governor.
Apparently you do not understand how to balance a budget. I have seen nobody else offer up a proposal as to what to cut spending-wise. And this is just the beginning of Walker's plan, I'm sure.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:17 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,590,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
If that were true the Democrats wouldn't have to run and hide because they would have the numbers to stop the vote.
They left because they do not have enough votes to stop the legislation. If they show up, a vote will be cast and the Repugs will win. That is why they have left. They are using the tools they have to stop this legislation, nothing more.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:17 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,336,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
That may work in Fortune 500 companies, but not so much in health care, where I have worked mostly for private companies for close to 40 years. I suspect it was similar in teaching before unions.

What do you do with your kids when it's time to pick them up and you don't want to "worry" about them? Just asking.
I work in health care too. It's no different than working for a Fortune 500 company. I am salaried and you can bet that I negotiated my pay, hours, and benefits. I'm the only employee in the hospital with the educational background, degrees, expertise, and experience level that can do my job and because of that I am very valued as an employee. If I need to rearrange my schedule for whatever reasons (kids, appointments, etc), I do. I run my department how I want to while meeting the needs of the patients I see. I set my own hours. It's mutual respect.

Make yourself valuable to your employer and you won't need to hide behind a union to guarantee your job for life.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:20 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,280,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
If those in attendance have state credit cards the Gov. should report them stolen and cancel them immediately. Any charges to them during this little stund should be regarded as fraud.
Additionally, they should all be charged with the cost associated with the Police Force's "Search and Rescue" mission as is usually done when citizens do something reckless/lawless that requires the use of taxpayers' dollars to resolve! I hope they throw the book at these idiots who aren't big enough to follow the rules.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:23 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,385,282 times
I believe Wisconsin's events speak to what we will see this summer in many States like Texas proposing to cut educational budgets. I just hope the Republican governors hold their ground on this issue but I am not optimistic.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:25 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,913,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
I work in health care too. It's no different than working for a Fortune 500 company. I am salaried and you can bet that I negotiated my pay, hours, and benefits. I'm the only employee in the hospital with the educational background, degrees, expertise, and experience level that can do my job and because of that I am very valued as an employee. If I need to rearrange my schedule for whatever reasons (kids, appointments, etc), I do. I run my department how I want to while meeting the needs of the patients I see. I set my own hours. It's mutual respect.

Make yourself valuable to your employer and you won't need to hide behind a union to guarantee your job for life.
Thanks for the insult. I do not belong to a union, never have. I've also never had a "job for life".

You surely know that nurses have exactly no flexibility to set their own hours. The only way to have time to meet your kids' and your own needs is to work part time. DH has had a lot more flexibility as an engineer. Teachers do not have that flexibility, either. They have to teach when school is in session.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:27 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,280,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
They left because they do not have enough votes to stop the legislation. If they show up, a vote will be cast and the Repugs will win. That is why they have left. They are using the tools they have to stop this legislation, nothing more.
Yeah. Kind of like saying, "I quit," when you're opponent calls "checkmate."

Old 02-17-2011, 07:27 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,590,618 times
Now the gov walker is ready to call up the National Guard to help his agenda. Thuggery goes deeper.
Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker Readies National Guard Against Unions

Old 02-17-2011, 07:31 PM

9,143 posts, read 5,815,795 times
Can they be extradited?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies