Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 01:28 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
My, my the Progressives' buses are going to have a huge carbon footprint as the tide turns against teachers' unions.

American Thinker Blog: Tennessee moves toward ending collective bargaining for teachers

I don't think any unions should be a part of federal, state, or local government jobs. You're just begging for someone to abuse the system.

Private unions, in private companies are fine with me. If a private corporation wants to hand out huge sums of money that don't deserve it, thats their business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 01:29 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Don't blame me on something you can't see for yourself.
You really believe a democratically elected state legislature voting on a bill to give voters (taxpayers funding public employees) the ability to vote on public employee benefits as Nazism, really? Explain your rational in detail please.

Because, if this is your understanding of Nazism, I believe you are owed an apology from your teachers. Were they unionized by chance?

Old 02-18-2011, 01:30 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I don't think any unions should be a part of federal, state, or local government jobs. You're just begging for someone to abuse the system.

Private unions, in private companies are fine with me. If a private corporation wants to hand out huge sums of money that don't deserve it, thats their business.
Until they run out of money and Uncle Sam bails them out (GM).

Old 02-18-2011, 01:33 PM

1,324 posts, read 1,198,419 times
Wisconsin Republicans were not in agreement with Democrat Governors who rewarded state unions for their votes with high pay , benefits and pensions.
The Republicans paid a higher tax while working as they did before . They wrote letters of disagreement , held tea parties , urged like minded thinkers to register to vote .
The hard work paid off , the Republicans are voted in fair and square . Of course the Republicans are going to do what the promised and reverse the union bribes the last government set forward .
If people don't like what the present Governor is doing , they can vote for someone else in four years , that's the American way.

NO ! Not for the state teachers union , they break the law by closing the schools , use the children to benefit their paycheck , surround the Governor's house with his children in it . What a disgrace . Then the President of the United States of America takes the side of the outlaws .

Old 02-18-2011, 01:34 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Until they run out of money and Uncle Sam bails them out (GM).
Bailouts for private institutions aren't generally a good idea either. GM has paid back a lot of their money, wall street has not.

I don't pretend to know everything, but if GM went bankrupt, we'd be at somewhere around 15% unemployment.

I will say this for the auto unions, they have allowed severe cut backs to keep the companies afloat. Thats part of the reason why Ford is doing well.

Next time we need not wait until we are at the edge of the cliff before we start stepping back though.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:37 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
You really believe a democratically elected state legislature voting on a bill to give voters (taxpayers funding public employees) the ability to vote on public employee benefits as Nazism, really? Explain your rational in detail please.

Because, if this is your understanding of Nazism, I believe you are owed an apology from your teachers. Were they unionized by chance?
I didn't say that. But the ideology is similar, end goal is similar (minus concentration camps... at least as of now).

Fascism has been at odds with such things as unions and largely succeeded in taking away such things as bargaining agreements from unions as one of the first steps. The idea is union busting. They're seen as enemies against political goals.

PS. My support for unions is on the same ground as Adam Smith's was. And I studied in a private (Catholic school), but as with rest of my abilities, to be able to discuss and make points on a wide variety of issues, based on logic, is a strength I'm proud of. I hope you can too.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:39 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I think it is a good thing that all corporate statists are crawling out of the rocks they were hiding under at the same time. If you've to go all Nazi, just go about it at the same time and get it over with.

LOL that was a record, the left is on the run!!!!! Whoo hooo!!!

The can't justify their actions so they randomly through out Nazi. Too funny!!!!

Old 02-18-2011, 01:41 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
LOL that was a record, the left is on the run!!!!! Whoo hooo!!!

The can't justify their actions so they randomly through out Nazi. Too funny!!!!
Nazis engaged in their fair share of union busting. No justifications needed for actions.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:42 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Bailouts for private institutions aren't generally a good idea either. GM has paid back a lot of their money, wall street has not.

I don't pretend to know everything, but if GM went bankrupt, we'd be at somewhere around 15% unemployment.

I will say this for the auto unions, they have allowed severe cut backs to keep the companies afloat. Thats part of the reason why Ford is doing well.

Next time we need not wait until we are at the edge of the cliff before we start stepping back though.

LOL, GM still owes $33 billion. The lefties are too funny today, providing lots of entertainment watching them .

Yeah mighty big of the unions to make minor concessions for 33% of GM. Crony capitalism anyone??

Old 02-18-2011, 01:43 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,813,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Capitalists are bad?
Yeah, I didn't get that either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies