Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 07:43 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,591,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Fairly inappropriate. Bitter much?
Are you denying the validity of this report? Link please. Or just the usual silly uniinformed trashing of FOX? Don't you ever get tired of the same tired old rhetoric?

Actually FOX News I believe was first to report. Why do so many refuse to accept facts.

FOX, as usual, was the first to be on top of this breaking, tragic news. That is why I watch and trust FOX.

[MOD CUT]

It is very sad what happened to these people and my heart goes out to their families and friends.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 02-22-2011 at 08:43 AM.. Reason: off topic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 07:46 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,838,455 times
Four American hostages killed by pirates - World news - Africa - Somalia - msnbc.com

Military officials told NBC News that about 1 a.m. ET shots were heard aboard the yacht. Negotigations had been under way with the pirates at the time.
The officials said U.S. military personnel boarded the yacht and discovered all four hostages had been shot by their captors.
The officials added that two pirates were killed and 13 others captured after a brief gun battle.

I used to be in the military. This might be the "real" story, but don't count on it.
I mean, yeah, they are really dead. I wonder if the Somalis killed the only thing that would keep them from being killed themselves.

There's a military base in Djibouti, if you didn't know. They were heading to that international port to refuel.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:48 AM

45,235 posts, read 26,464,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
They were extremely imprudent to be traveling in those waters.

But they didn't deserved to be captured by pirates
You'd make a great rape crisis counselor.

"You didn't deserve to be raped, but you shouldn't have worn have worn that dress"

Old 02-22-2011, 07:50 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,828,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Four American hostages killed by pirates - World news - Africa - Somalia - msnbc.com

Military officials told NBC News that about 1 a.m. ET shots were heard aboard the yacht. Negotigations had been under way with the pirates at the time.
The officials said U.S. military personnel boarded the yacht and discovered all four hostages had been shot by their captors.
The officials added that two pirates were killed and 13 others captured after a brief gun battle.

I used to be in the military. This might be the "real" story, but don't count on it.
I mean, yeah, they are really dead. I wonder if the Somalis killed the only thing that would keep them from being killed themselves.

There's a military base in Djibouti, if you didn't know. They were heading to that international port to refuel.
MSNBC is now reporting what Fox first reported. Now, it's a true story.

My thoughts and prayers are with the families of those who were killed.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:51 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,838,455 times
Maybe they thought God would protect them. Not being sarcastic, some people do believe that.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:53 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,531,935 times
Quote:
Maybe they thought God would protect them. Not being sarcastic, some people do believe that.
I understand your point.
But each man has free choice and if some evil people are intent on evil doing and murder then God is not going to stop them.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:55 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,828,252 times
Quote:
Sounds sarcastic to me.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:07 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,713,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
If some yacht owner is dumb enough to sale near Somalia after all the press about pirates then why should tax payer dollars be used to rescue them? It's over seas, they were warned and should have known better, so it's buyer beware as far as I'm concerned.
Exactly. I certainly don't want any harm to come to anyone, but, as we saw so many argue in another thread, shouldn't people take some responsibility for the actions that put them in harm's way?

Old 02-22-2011, 08:12 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,531,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Exactly. I certainly don't want any harm to come to anyone, but, as we saw so many argue in another thread, shouldn't people take some responsibility for the actions that put them in harm's way?
I think these people were well aware of the risk of their around the world trip. More pointedly, I don't think they were asking for anyone to take responsibility for them.

Where do you get this from?
Have you read anything to suggest this? Some people want to explore and have the adventurous spirit and are willing to take the chance. I completely understand this.
To, as you say, "stay out of harms way" may be the safe way but if you want to do more than live a "safe life" then there are chances involved.
To try and make them somehow the bad guys is kind of ridiculous and not very empathtic IMO.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:12 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,305,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
You'd make a great rape crisis counselor.

"You didn't deserve to be raped, but you shouldn't have worn have worn that dress"
No it's more like you shouldn't have been in that neighborhood.

Common sense dictates that you avoid an area with piracy is prevalent. I don't spend a lot of time in areas where I fear for my personal safety. If I do I'm aware of the dangers and generally have a game plan for dealing with the situations.

The undeniable fact of the matter is that these people put their personal safety in peril by choosing to travel in that region.

Last edited by JazzyTallGuy; 02-22-2011 at 09:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies