Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 07:30 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,206,642 times

Advertisements

This is Wisconsin Rep Gordon Hintz (D) on the R's process of scheduling votes with just a few minutes notice on the budget bill, or holding them earlier than scheduled, and NOT EVEN GIVING THEM COPIES OF THE BILL, so that democratic representatives aren't there to vote or debate. I was a R for 30 years, and I've never been as ashamed of the republican party as I am right now. My husband was a campaign staffer, and later a key staff member of a republican governor's administration, and I promise you--this is NOT "politics as usual." They need to recall the R leadership in Wisconsin--this is outrageous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZsOKNfNkfQ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 07:39 AM

1,895 posts, read 3,416,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
This is Wisconsin Rep Gordon Hintz (D) on the R's process of scheduling votes with just a few minutes notice on the budget bill, or holding them earlier than scheduled, and NOT EVEN GIVING THEM COPIES OF THE BILL, so that democratic representatives aren't there to vote or debate. I was a R for 30 years, and I've never been as ashamed of the republican party as I am right now. My husband was a campaign staffer, and later a key staff member of a republican governor's administration, and I promise you--this is NOT "politics as usual." They need to recall the R leadership in Wisconsin--this is outrageous.

i don't know that man from Adam, but i like his attitude...

Old 02-21-2011, 07:39 AM

45,230 posts, read 26,450,499 times
So are you against the process or the actual legislation?

Old 02-21-2011, 07:47 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,530,699 times
I am embarrassed the way the democrats are handling this personally.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:55 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
This is Wisconsin Rep Gordon Hintz (D) on the R's process of scheduling votes with just a few minutes notice on the budget bill, or holding them earlier than scheduled, so that democratic representatives aren't there to vote or debate. I was a R for 30 years, and I've never been as ashamed of the republican party as I am right now. My husband was a campaign staffer, and later a key staff member of a republican governor's administration, and I promise you--this is NOT "politics as usual." They need to recall the R leadership in Wisconsin--this is outrageous.

I agree. I was like many curious what politics would be like with a new set of Republicans taking a more powerful role in politics. I had hoped for better than this, it is like they have let the new found power go to their head and when anyone complains about their tactics they claim they are doing the will of the people because they were elected, as we can see a lot of the People are not happy with the tactics being employed. I had hoped that were what they claimed, better than the Dems, especially when it came to dealing a bi-partisan way to deal with the issues. The sad truth is they are showing that they are no better and may even turn out to be worse than what we had. So far the new GOP leaders have felt it was a good idea to cut funding to any programs they were against without the slightest input from the Dems, they have repealed the healthcare reform bill (in the House) even though most Americans did not want it repealed but only wanted it modified, thus ignoring the People in the process and now they are trying to use their new found power to break the backs of unions in this country by say they can only bargain on the issues that the they the Republicans will allow, thus removing any collective bargaining power a union has basically neutering every union in the country, including the teachers, police and fire department unions. I really have no idea where the new batch of Repubs think they got such mandates but if this continues thy will end up causing a government shutdown because the Dems will finally have had enough and refuse as the Repubs are doing to work together. Anyone that thinks this is a good thing is Un-American in my view point since they are more interested in politics and power than the welfare of this nation. The sad part is they had a golden opportunity to prove they really are the better Party buy getting our budget under control in rational and fair way and dealing with the issues in a bipartisan way, right now they are proving that they are no way near the better Party, they are just more of the same except from a different angle. I predict that if things continue as they have over the last month and a half the voters will make the GOP pay hard for their actions. My guess is things will get even uglier before they improve and we shall see what the voters do next year.
Casper

Old 02-21-2011, 07:58 AM

45,230 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
I agree. I was like many curious what politics would be like with a new set of Republicans taking a more powerful role in politics. I had hoped for better than this, it is like they have let the new found power go to their head and when anyone complains about their tactics they claim they are doing the will of the people because they were elected, as we can see a lot of the People are not happy with the tactics being employed. I had hoped that were what they claimed, better than the Dems, especially when it came to dealing a bi-partisan way to deal with the issues. The sad truth is they are showing that they are no better and may even turn out to be worse than what we had. So far the new GOP leaders have felt it was a good idea to cut funding to any programs they were against without the slightest input from the Dems, they have repealed the healthcare reform bill (in the House) even though most Americans did not want it repealed but only wanted it modified, thus ignoring the People in the process and now they are trying to use their new found power to break the backs of unions in this country by say they can only bargain on the issues that the they the Republicans will allow, thus removing any collective bargaining power a union has basically neutering every union in the country, including the teachers, police and fire department unions. I really have no idea where the new batch of Repubs think they got such mandates but if this continues thy will end up causing a government shutdown because the Dems will finally have had enough and refuse as the Repubs are doing to work together. Anyone that thinks this is a good thing is Un-American in my view point since they are more interested in politics and power than the welfare of this nation. The sad part is they had a golden opportunity to prove they really are the better Party buy getting our budget under control in rational and fair way and dealing with the issues in a bipartisan way, right now they are proving that they are no way near the better Party, they are just more of the same except from a different angle. I predict that if things continue as they have over the last month and a half the voters will make the GOP pay hard for their actions. My guess is things will get even uglier before they improve and we shall see what the voters do next year.
Casper
blah blah blah blah.

Frank D.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:58 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,558,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
So are you against the process or the actual legislation?
Sorry but this is not the right process of legislation. This is bully politics. I am sure if dems did this, the right would be all up in arms.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
I am embarrassed the way the democrats are handling this personally.
You mean teachers, police and firemen, Those democrats? I seiously doubt they are all Dems. So you answer would be to just let the Repubs do as they want, no matter if it removes their rights to bargain as unions? I guess that works for the sheep, the rest of America finds the tactics being imployed as being over the top and Not the will of the People.
Casper

Old 02-21-2011, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
blah blah blah blah.

Frank D.
Let us know when you grow up and can post an adult reply.
Casper

Old 02-21-2011, 08:02 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,396,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
. I am sure if dems did this, the right would be all up in arms.
A point often lost lately.

It's too bad that in this country politics has come down to, "us versus them", with no legitimate attempts at negotiation and compromise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies