Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 02:47 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
Up is down and down is up with this c**k-eyed administration. I truly believe Jorge is going through severe mid life crisis or early Alzheimer's. And when good Border Patrol agents are being imprisoned for doing their job, who in their right mind is going to take their place???
It's not just this administration. Nothing was done about the border during the last administration, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 02:47 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
I agree totally. But, again, if you'll remember, it was the Democrats who demanded U.N. approval. The U.N. needs to be disbanned.

But you said : "This point was made to demonstrate the danger of an Iraq with WMD having contacts with terrorists who are willing to use them against us and why we should ensure that Iraq abides by the U.N. Resolutions.
"

WHY is it "we should ensure" and not "the UN should ensure"?

That's my point, if the UN is worthwhile then the UN would enforce its own resolutions. If not, and I don't think the UN is worthwhile, using its resolutions as an excuse to act outside of the UN is using a BS resolution to justify our own actions. You can't have it both ways.

Old 07-23-2007, 02:51 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,795,499 times
Very true macmeal - but note also the crescendo of voices crying for a fence along Mexico...allegedly to "stop the terrorists"...as compared to the discussions people are bringing up in relation to a fence along Canada or increasing the security of our seaports (much more vital to our national security... and both more likely points of entry for terrorists.)
Methinks there may be some alterior motives aside from stopping radical Muslims. Which is fine, but then come out and say it and take it up to the immigration forum, don't pretend it is a pressing national security matter. If you want to truly fight terrorists there are a lot of ways those billions of dollars could be better spent than on a fence.

Old 07-23-2007, 03:34 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Very true macmeal - but note also the crescendo of voices crying for a fence along Mexico...allegedly to "stop the terrorists"...as compared to the discussions people are bringing up in relation to a fence along Canada or increasing the security of our seaports (much more vital to our national security... and both more likely points of entry for terrorists.)
Methinks there may be some alterior motives aside from stopping radical Muslims. Which is fine, but then come out and say it and take it up to the immigration forum, don't pretend it is a pressing national security matter. If you want to truly fight terrorists there are a lot of ways those billions of dollars could be better spent than on a fence.
No doubt what you say is true; I've long been aware of racists hopping on the bandwagon for the ride. I'm only saying lets not completely close off all discussion in order to remove the racist element.. I suppose you could say, should we NOT build a needed new highway, if we know that racists might drive on it to get to their meetings?....

Old 07-23-2007, 05:23 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,694,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
But you said : "This point was made to demonstrate the danger of an Iraq with WMD having contacts with terrorists who are willing to use them against us and why we should ensure that Iraq abides by the U.N. Resolutions.
"

WHY is it "we should ensure" and not "the UN should ensure"?

That's my point, if the UN is worthwhile then the UN would enforce its own resolutions. If not, and I don't think the UN is worthwhile, using its resolutions as an excuse to act outside of the UN is using a BS resolution to justify our own actions. You can't have it both ways.
Though the U.N. is impotent, it's requirement that Saddam disarm was appropriate after he was driven out of Kuwait. Because we were primarily responsible for his being removed from Kuwait, because we were the ones with the means and because we would be the likely recipients of the use of WMD, we were the most appropriate force to enforce the resolutions.

Old 07-23-2007, 05:49 PM

543 posts, read 1,228,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgussler View Post
Truth be known, the open border is not a death threat. But the war in Iraq, if lost, will poss a big death threat.

Did you happen to see the news tonight. The head of the CIA said that he's not going to be like his predisessor, he's going to lay it on the line. He said that al-Queda is in the US. They are setting up another 9/11. He has proof of it being set up but has no idea of where and what. they are going to strike and strike soon.

The fact that Hilario that works with me is an illegal alien, doesn't bother me as much as the thought of thousands dieing on another attack.

It's second rate. I agree that it's a major problem. But it's not "THE" major problem that we need to be concerned with right now.
Could they just be saying this to take the pressure off of the border issues? Could be to take America's mind off the immigration problem with some more scare tactics so they can push their greedy agendas! If they are already here,what the heck is anyone doing about it?

Old 07-23-2007, 06:04 PM

478 posts, read 959,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
It's not just this administration. Nothing was done about the border during the last administration, either.

September 11th happened during this administration, though. Remember? The point of this thread was, our house was robbed. And then door is not only left open, but seemingly there is a welcome mat in the front. NO CHANGES WERE MADE. Just an acceleration of.... "Bring us your tired, your poor, your criminal."

Makes you wonder, does it not????? Or you could just diffuse the reality of things, crack a beer, and talk about the past.

The whole situation is absurd.

Old 07-23-2007, 06:07 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkshires413 View Post
September 11th happened during this administration, though. Remember? The point of this thread was, our house was robbed. And then door is not only left open, but seemingly there is a welcome mat in the front. NO CHANGES WERE MADE. Just an acceleration of.... "Bring us your tired, your poor, your criminal."

Makes you wonder, does it not????? Or you could just diffuse the reality of things, crack a beer, and talk about the past.

The whole situation is absurd.
I agree, but the 1993 World Trade Center bombing happened during the last administration. 9/11 was not the first terrorist attack in this country.
In other words, both administrations did not enforce the border laws (and visas) as they should have.

Old 07-23-2007, 06:47 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridanative2 View Post
Could they just be saying this to take the pressure off of the border issues? Could be to take America's mind off the immigration problem with some more scare tactics so they can push their greedy agendas! If they are already here,what the heck is anyone doing about it?
That's a really good question that I have no answer for. It could be. I mean, think about it. The "fence" has already been funded and started. What is the holdup? If somebody was fencing that slow on my ranch, they'd be hunting another job.

I know that they're working on a fence, but I have no idea what's holding them up. I know for a while it was a political issue in that Mexico didn't want American workers coming 50 feet into Mexico while working on the fence. When they bitched, they should have just opened season on illegals coming into our country with a one miles wide strip along the border. Called NAFTA. North American Firearms Training Area. No limit, ammo is free.

I mean, if they don't want our workers 50 feet into their country to build the fence, what else should we do?

Old 07-23-2007, 07:03 PM

478 posts, read 959,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I agree, but the 1993 World Trade Center bombing happened during the last administration. 9/11 was not the first terrorist attack in this country.
In other words, both administrations did not enforce the border laws (and visas) as they should have.

Yes, but comparing the first world trade center attack to the second - and the ramifications of everything thereafter - it is not a legitmate argument in my opinion. The bottom line is Sept. 11th was the worst thing to happen to this country... on our soil... ever. And the reaction to it all.... makes one think there is a bigger plan at hand. There are agendas being run... and everything is happening for a reason.

Such scary times. We are lucky to have lived during a carefree era of American history. I worry for my 1 year old and my unborn child on the way. And there is nothing - NOTHING - that gives me any hope within this whole mess that makes me think this will all get better anytime soon. It's all rule by fear, now.

The only politician I trust is Ron Paul... and with the complete media censorship of him - I think there is a better chance of Yogi Berra winning the battle title this year... than him becoming the GOP nominee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies