Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2011, 03:18 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,534,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc42gb43 View Post
So was I, but things happen. I got drunk at bars and made a fool of myself, others slack off, and still others haven't found their purpose or way. I find it hard to hold those sorts of things against somebody in their mid-40s.

There are intelligent people without college degrees and unintelligent people with them. While a college degree may be a sort of general indicator of intelligence, it's by no means conclusive either way, and it's important to look at each person on their own merits.
I get the point your making about Walker here, but I don't agree with it.
I don't know if a agree that a degree is a "general indicator of intelligence"
It may be a better indicator of financial status and whether or not your parents have degrees.
I know some pretty questionably intelligent people holding degrees, and some very smart people without them.

Many independent and self-motiviated people believe they don't need one and are so confident (arrogant?) that they believe they don't need one.

Many people need degrees to move up, to validate their worth, and to find a good job. Other people don't need it. A college degree in many respects is more about status than true proof of learning or intelligence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 03:18 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,404,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
lol, at equating college with intelligence. Josef Goerbels had a doctorate in history and Einstein didn't make it past 5th grade. There's no correlation whatsoever between intelligence and a college degree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Actually, that's not true either. There certainly is a "correlation."

It's just not the relevant one for this discussion.

Oh, and btw Einstein did make it past the 5th grade. He had a PhD.
Those are Right wing 'facts' for you. Never let the truth (Einstein's doctorate from the University of Zurich) get in the way of the point you are trying to make.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:22 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,597,931 times
Many of the very good legislators have college degrees and so do the many of the horrible ones, so it doesn't seem that the degree is the best way to differentiate among them or to predict performance.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:25 PM

Well i think we pretty much all agreed that the original topic of this post is without merit. An unusual occurence on CD forum.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:26 PM

3,681 posts, read 6,279,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Look where obama graduated from....and look at the mess he is making...
Best Reply Award!

Old 02-22-2011, 03:29 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,975,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Those are Right wing 'facts' for you. Never let the truth (Einstein's doctorate from the University of Zurich) get in the way of the point you are trying to make.
Intellectual honesty would dictate that you differentiate between the many honorary degrees given to Einstein vs. formally earned through classwork at a University. Regardless of my respect for Einstein's scientific accomplishments, politically speaking he was a globalist.

Perhaps we could keep this on topic instead of deflecting? A comparison of Einstein vs. Walker's academic credentials are irrelevant to Walker's qualifications as Gov. of WI.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:40 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,894,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Well i think we pretty much all agreed that the original topic of this post is without merit. An unusual occurence on CD forum.
How do you figure that?

Old 02-22-2011, 03:41 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,632,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
This is the person that Wisconsin chose to lead their state. A guy who did not graduate college and at best carried a C average. Really, this is the person you chose.

What happened to that state?
Some years ago, Californians chose Ronald Reagan to be their governor. He was a washed up actor, a former union leader and a Democrat. But he didn't remain any of those things for long. Mainly because a concept like "principles" was completely alien to him. If that man could be elected Governor (let alone President), then Scott Walker is a mere piker.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
How do you figure that?
I didn't "figure" anything. I read the posts. And most people dismissed the OPs assertion that since Scott walker couldn't (didn't) graduate college that he is unfit to represent the state of Wisconsin. Even the OP has backed down from his original assertion.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:46 PM

46,328 posts, read 27,166,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Graduating with a degree from college requires discipline, hard work, dedication, self-sacrifice, intelligence, resourcefulness.... you know all those traits that show character.
Really?

Resources > Cheating Statistics (http://www.caveon.com/resources/cheating_statistics.htm - broken link)

http://www.swarthmore.edu/NatSci/cpurrin1/plagiarism/docs/McCabe_et_al.pdf (broken link)

75 to 98 Percent of College Students Have Cheated

Cheating Fact Sheet - RESEARCH CENTER - Cheating Is A Personal Foul

Academic cheating appears to be on rise among college students | Features | PE.com | Southern California News | News for Inland Southern California (http://www.pe.com/lifestyles/stories/PE_Fea_Daily_H_cheat18.d9f54f.html - broken link)

Cheating Prevention in College Classrooms / Faculty Library Resources / Division of Library Services / Academic Affairs / About TCC / TCC Home - Tallahassee Community College (http://www.tcc.fl.edu/about_tcc/academic_affairs/division_of_library_services/faculty_library_resources/cheating_prevention_in_college_classrooms - broken link)

And lets not forget all the websites for Plagiarism.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies