Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 05:41 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,547,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
And he's still going to put his foot in the ass of the unions!!!

You can grasp at straws all you want to try and insult him, but the unions are going to get what has been long overdue.

Just so you know, they don't give out balls in college. He has a pair that has apparently been with him since birth and the union bullies and thugs don't scare him one bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 05:50 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I have met a few with a master's who didn't seem particularly bright. I have never met anyone who is "very successful" who didn't graduate from high school, and IMO, there's no such thng as "common sense". I have seen too many stupid things said and done in the name of "common sense" to ever believe in that concept.
You must not do much business in the real world. There are hundreds of thousands of very successful people who've started businesses and lack much education. Those people had the common sense to get along with people, make the right decisions and become "very successful".

You need to get out of your house more and meet people in the real world. Then you would know that true common sense is not a fantasy but really does exist.

Those people know what it costs to provide benefits & pay checks in a competitive real world.

Old 02-23-2011, 05:50 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,547,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by campfire View Post
Some of you people are calling getting an education "elitist"? What a fricking joke! How is getting an education an elitist thing? Now I'll tell you what is elitist....all of you republicans w/the mentality of "the have & the have nots". I've seen it plenty on here & heard plenty in real life about it. Talk about elitist! Looking down on those who don't have money, insulting them, feeling superior about yourself, telling everyone that anyone who doesn't have the type of money that you have is lazy & milks the system...THAT is elitist.
DON'T EVEN TRY TO OVER SIMPLIFY THIS TO MAKE SOME STRAW MAN ARGUMENT!!!

NO ONE IS SAYING THAT GETTING AN EDUCATION IS ELITIST!!!!

The attitude of the Op, however, is elitist!! I know a lot of college grads who still can't write!!! They use "your" when they should use "you're"......and I wonder what the heck did they learn??

The Op is using the the lack of a college diploma as an insult! He is looking down on people for that reason! You know this and you are trying to twist this around! There are those on this board with their papers, who thing the Op is wrong.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:45 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,950,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
DON'T EVEN TRY TO OVER SIMPLIFY THIS TO MAKE SOME STRAW MAN ARGUMENT!!!

NO ONE IS SAYING THAT GETTING AN EDUCATION IS ELITIST!!!!

The attitude of the Op, however, is elitist!! I know a lot of college grads who still can't write!!! They use "your" when they should use "you're"......and I wonder what the heck did they learn??

The Op is using the the lack of a college diploma as an insult! He is looking down on people for that reason! You know this and you are trying to twist this around! There are those on this board with their papers, who thing the Op is wrong.
Actually, I am not using the lack of a college diploma as an insult. If either my mailman, mechanic, or hvac repairman does not have a college diploma, who cares. They may be wonderful people and as long as they do a good job...great.

However, I don't think it is too much to ask that a Governor have a college degree. I think it does reflect on his character that he quit so close to receiving one and has never gone back to finish. I am insulting Scott because he is a quitter. I am not insulting people that do not have a college degree. I am also saying that in a state where they have so many EDUCATED people, why would they pick one who is not that well educated.

Some people are so self rightous.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:21 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,168,625 times
Default College

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
This is the person that Wisconsin chose to lead their state. A guy who did not graduate college and at best carried a C average. Really, this is the person you chose.

What happened to that state?
I didn't graduate from college either. (Though I did score 1500 on the SAT's in 1977).

I raced cars.
I drove a nuclear submarine.
I beta tested computer hardware for several well know computer companies.
I designed wide area networks for financial institutions.

In fact if your computer/network/server fails, I am probably the guy you want to fix it.

But I didn't graduate from college.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:37 AM

880 posts, read 2,025,295 times
Give me a street smart guy any time.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:01 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,384,859 times
I like education. I think it is very important. I have two small boys. we don’t even talk about when they get out of high school. we talk about when they graduate from college.

Because there is no option. I want it set in their minds that their formal education does not end until they have graduated from college. I will be poor and living on cat food before I let them loose on the world without proper education.

I come from a very educated family. My grandfather was a principle for 39 years. He was one of 7 brothers 6 of whom were educators. My father taught AP calculus. The primary profession in my family is education.

The issue that many of us see is not a rejection of education but a rejection of the elitist idea that those who have a certain kind of education have an inherent right to tell the rest of the country how to live. We reject the notion that a PhD gives someone the capacity to understand what is best for a family living in the real world.

The idea that because one matriculated from an ivy league school they know better what laws should be passed that will govern the rest of us, is simply myopic at best. We further recognize that we have been led by highly educated people for some time now and we find ourselves in a world of mess.

George Bush had an MBA from Harvard. Barak Obama is a Harvard Law grad. Bill Clinton was a Rhodes Scholar. The leaders in congress are very highly educated. There are more lawyers in congress than there are salmon eggs in a sushi bar. We have been led by educated fools down a primrose path.

It is mind boggling that anyone would have the audacity to suggest that education is a panacea. It is not. It is important to an individual’s success but in and of itself, an education is not the final stamp of approval we should be placing on those who lead us politically.

Nor should the pontifications of college professors who live in ivory towers and “think” about solutions to real world problems be directors of policy! Their input is often valuable. Their study and knowledge is often needed but sans real world experience, they offer only theories that are not tested by the lives of real men and women who struggle every day to succeed. They have no skin in the game. If they are wrong, it is a theory disproven. Their lives march on protected from reality by the world of academia they have shielded themselves with.

We need decision makers who have lived real lives and struggled and succeeded. Who understand what it means to build something and to take a risk. Education is often the thing that opens a door. But we should not exclude those who lack education if they have found a way to pry that door open by their own force of will.

I value education. But I value success even more. Gov. Walker is not better or worse for not having a college degree. He is valuable because he has found success without the natural advantage a college education provides. For that reason alone, Gov. Walker is to be admired and appreciated.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:04 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,950,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
I didn't graduate from college either. (Though I did score 1500 on the SAT's in 1977).

I raced cars.
I drove a nuclear submarine.
I beta tested computer hardware for several well know computer companies.
I designed wide area networks for financial institutions.

In fact if your computer/network/server fails, I am probably the guy you want to fix it.

But I didn't graduate from college.
Wonderful. If my server fails, I will give you a call, but I would not vote for you as Governor either. You probably make more money than the Governor so not big deal for you. I would not go and see you for dental work either.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:13 AM

3,681 posts, read 6,275,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Colleges are hotbeds for liberalism so this is not a revelation. It does not translate to higher intelligence or the qualifications of Gov. Walker.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:53 AM

1,811 posts, read 1,210,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Oh swell! Obama doesn't qualify for any other job so he will stay in politics and ruin the USA!

See how easy that was!

The stench of desperation from the left in regard to public employee union thuggary is that of B.O.
Stoopid me. I thought it was a rotting whale carcase washed up on the beach, but it was the stench of desperate democRATS all along!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies