Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2011, 02:52 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,837,011 times

Advertisements

As did Congress.

Yes, I know, there is probably some good reason why. Just like there is some good reason for the TSA. And some good reason for a lot of things to "protect us,"

Did you ever stop and think they might not be telling us everything. It's a concern, I reckon. Would you really want to know if they had stopped a terrorist from poisoning an entire town? I think we live in a world of the tail wagging the dog. We only see things when something like that underwear bomber happens. Something that can't be explained away. I mean, would you really want to know how many sleeper cells were here right now, ready to blow some stuff up? I think many would be happier to believe it's not possible in the U.S.A.

I know the Patriot Act is for tracking people who might be terrorists. I want to believe that would be its sole use. I'm not naive enough to think that is really the case. It's a bad law. It runs contrary to what America stands for. I can't rail at Bush for "torture" and not rail at Obama & Congress for this. This is a bad law.

Damn it, Obama. Explain yourself. No comment from the White House on this one. Too hot a potato.

Patriot Act extension: Temporary Patriot Act extension gets Congress' OK - latimes.com (http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/sc-dc-0218-patriot-act-20110217,0,152890.story - broken link)

"We cannot afford to leave our intelligence officials without the tools they need to keep America safe," said Rep. Lamar Smith (R-Texas), the chairman of the House Judiciary Committee.
But civil liberties advocates said the provisions lack proper privacy safeguards. Foreshadowing the coming debate, Republicans said they want to make the law permanent, while liberties groups will press for continued expiration dates to ensure congressional oversight.

The three expiring provisions authorize federal officials to use so-called roving wiretaps to keep track of unidentified suspects as they move from place to place and device to device; to obtain library records and other personal information; and to follow foreigners who have no known terrorism connections. All such surveillance activities require court orders.
The Justice Department called the provisions "essential" and urged Congress not to let them expire, as would have happened at the end of the month had Congress not acted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqXmQYHV-1I
  • I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter: So help me God.
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 03:24 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,288,764 times
It's cool. The progressives actually believe Obama will only go after tea partiers with the Stasi Act.

Old 02-27-2011, 04:02 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,547,627 times
Name ONE freedom that Obama has "taken away".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies