Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 04:58 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,550,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Smart, so you want to see large corporations leave the US?
What good is having these corporations in the U.S. if they pay no taxes and hire only foreigners?

They are a deadweight on American society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 05:18 AM

199 posts, read 319,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
True the Federal government isn't the only game in town, so it is equally true those large corporations pay local property taxes, unemployment taxes and other payroll taxes. So the premise of this thread is wrong.

There are many folks that do not pay taxes and get wealth transfers.

Fortunately we don't live in a pay to play society.
I can't speak as to the States and their tax policy, and quite frankly, unless I am talking about my state of residence, my opinion is moot.

I am merely saying that we should remove corporations from our government.
Corporations have obligations to their shareholders, partners, and creditors; they share no allegiance to the taxpayer. And they shouldn't, but they shouldn't have representation in our government, at least the fed for sure. It's up to the individual states if they want to do things differently.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:28 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,769,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
What good is having these corporations in the U.S. if they pay no taxes and hire only foreigners?

They are a deadweight on American society.

Please give me the name of the company you are refering to.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekender1968 View Post
I can't speak as to the States and their tax policy, and quite frankly, unless I am talking about my state of residence, my opinion is moot.

I am merely saying that we should remove corporations from our government.
Corporations have obligations to their shareholders, partners, and creditors; they share no allegiance to the taxpayer. And they shouldn't, but they shouldn't have representation in our government, at least the fed for sure. It's up to the individual states if they want to do things differently.
Corporations should have a right to petition the government as long as government wishes to interfere with business.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Please give me the name of the company you are refering to.
AIG
MBIA
GM
Citigroup
Bank of America
Wells Fargo
CIT
Fannie Mae
Freddie Mac

All of the above companies were handed THE PEOPLE'S HARD EARNED MONEY at the beginning of a recession so that they wouldn't have to file for bankruptcy and whose executives wouldn't have to suffer one little bit with stock options that would have turned worthless.

Now we have 10% unemployment and world record bonuses for execs.

Way to go!!

Old 02-28-2011, 05:38 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,070,442 times
Let's say the OP is correct.

The point that is missed is how much their PRODUCT is taxed.

Our hypocritical politicians want every possible warning and every possible ingredient listed on EVERY product we buy.

How about posting the REAL cost of a gallon of gas?

Then list the state and federal taxes separately.

People would get real pissed, real fast.

Look at the tax on your plane ticket, cable bill, phone bill, etc.

It always amazes me that as inefficient and wasteful our politicians are, there are people wanting, no, begging them to take more of other peoples money.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:38 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,412,154 times
GE, Exxon Paid No U.S. Income Taxes in 2009 - ABC News

Here is another slightly better source for those that don't like the "thinkprogress" site is reliable.

Here is one from Forbes, not exactly a "liberal" news organization

http://blogs.forbes.com/energysource...-income-taxes/

This article breaks it down. They didn't really pay income tax, but they paid sales tax and other taxes to the tune of 56 billion. But When they have earnings after costs and the taxes paid of 19 billion dollars, why oh why are they not paying an income tax, when the rest of us do?

Old 02-28-2011, 05:45 AM

Quote:
AIG
MBIA
GM
Citigroup
Bank of America
Wells Fargo
CIT
Fannie Mae
Freddie Mac

All of the above companies were handed THE PEOPLE'S HARD EARNED MONEY at the beginning of a recession so that they wouldn't have to file for bankruptcy and whose executives wouldn't have to suffer one little bit with stock options that would have turned worthless.

Now we have 10% unemployment and world record bonuses for execs.

Way to go!!
Too funny, now you would like to change the terms. Let me take you back to your original premise. There are companies here that pay no taxes and hire no Americans. Clearly they don't exist so now you want to change the topic,ok.

Please tell me which of the companies you listed paid record bonuses?

Old 02-28-2011, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Too funny, now you would like to change the terms. Let me take you back to your original premise. There are companies here that pay no taxes and hire no Americans. Clearly they don't exist so now you want to change the topic,ok.

Please tell me which of the companies you listed paid record bonuses?
Go back and re-read post #55

Also, again I ask, why do people who are not millionaires and who must work to survive (assuming that you aren't a pampered exec.) work so hard to protect people who only have to worry about which mansion to vacation in or which private jet to take to Monte Carlo?

That is utterly perplexing. It is like Stockholm Syndrome or something!?!?

Old 02-28-2011, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Go back and re-read post #55

On second reading it still makes no sense. All those companies employ Americans and none paid record bonuses.

Quote:
Also, again I ask, why do people who are not millionaires and who must work to survive (assuming that you aren't a pampered exec.) work so hard to protect people who only have to worry about which mansion to vacation in or which private jet to take to Monte Carlo?

That is utterly perplexing. It is like Stockholm Syndrome or something!?!?

I am sure it is perplexing to you, as you feel entitled to wealth of those who have more than you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies