Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 10:44 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,580,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen antrim View Post
If speech is free it can be hate speech. If we can not have hate speech it ain't free.
That is just not true at all. There is no such thing as unlimited freedom in any aspect of life. Freedom of speech is already limited in many ways. You are not free to threaten, libel, advocate sedition, reveal secrets and all kids of other restrictions on Free speech. They could even make hate speech a civil offence whereby you could be sued by the objects of your hate. With the history you have there in the USA where hate has always been part of the equation of repression of someone or some group you would think the people would be in favour of limiting it in public.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 10:57 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,405,706 times
Its not free then, is it? If I am limited, it is not free then is it? That would be called limited speech where the force of law says "no", that is also censorship. If you advocate this, you are advocating denying me to speak my mind. That is social tyranny. Ethically, one can be made aware of the larger world around one and then one may speak in a more cultured way. There are times when any form of speech is appropriate, for instance, one may at some time in the future need to advocate that this government be pulled down (nothing is good forever), it is recognized in the bill of rights, so hate speech, say directed toward the government may be required despite laws attempting to shut people up.

Some time ago, during vietnam, as they were trying to draft me and all the protesters were out, a poll revealed that the majority favored limiting free speech away, rework the constitution, to shut them up-that is how dumb this population is and how easily we will give ourselves over to tyranny.

Old 03-06-2011, 01:06 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
I don't really care if we have "limited speech". People can't control themselves, in addition to death and taxes it's all you can be sure of.

Old 03-06-2011, 12:34 PM

fine limit yours and leave mine alone

Old 03-06-2011, 12:39 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen antrim View Post
fine limit yours and leave mine alone
Unless you are saying something specifically to bother ME you have no fear. Otherwise my free speech will try to trump yours. It's funny how that works.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:58 AM

life is a polemic, that is how it advances

Old 03-07-2011, 01:59 PM

One of the goals of limiting speech is to limit thought. Thought put into speech is an attempt to reach ideality. This is where the idea (as a thought, a structure put together by mind) and the words spoken come into complete harmony. The words, of course, goes out into the "real"; through hearing, or text (sight), these communications return to mind for reflection, where it collides with the idea, where mind attempts to "see" if mind-the thinking person, is in them, then it repeats if needed; in a thinking man of course; for those who do not think, the communications are used to hide the fact that the speaker has no thoughts, usually.

The hearer or reader of a communications does a similar thing. The mind attempts to see if the idea is in the communications, from its perspective. Learning is involved here as well as critique. A bias prevents expansion of the idea except in the direction of the bias.

Propaganda, slogans, training, ideology, the effect on sensitive minds, political correctness, malice, ignorance, fear, etc, are all used to prevent thought. Some of this is good. Training allows soldiers to use weapons without too many collisions, except those needed in combat. When he or she comes home, anti-war people may attempt to provide collisions in the mind to induce guilt, remorse, etc. The other side uses medals, patriotic songs and such, for their favorable collisions.

Patriots may attempt to counter the opposing side by argument, religion, etc, but the quickest way is to stop the opposing side from communicating, which will dull the thought in the long term or create other problems for both sides.

To keep religion out of schools is an attempt to keep children in the dark about it (there are other reasons for sure such as time, political issues, expertise, and such), but to stop a child from discoursing on religion at school, not during class of course, is to stop thought; the child's reflection-we think in communications inside our minds. You want to get the kids early to control their thoughts by limiting communications, and stop religious expression through out the system, or whatever you want them not to think about. Smart people are curious about many things-that is why religious cults (and cult can apply to the society as cultus) attempt to isolate their members.

For example, say there was a forum where the discussion was on everyone going to a heaven or just some and the rest go to a hell. And then let us assume the censor did not believe in hell and that the censor had control of the forum-what gets into it. Let us think that the all go side were really offended by the hell notion as composing the term, very sensitive-say they had a bunch of reprobate relatives that they adored but with the other side's view, these relatives were screwed. So the issue stepped out of objectivity and the "all" side wanted the idea to match an emotional attachment rather than the idea, emotional as a preloaded bias. And for this reason then, the censor restricts the use of the term hell (which restricts the structured up idea contained in the term). Well obviously, the hell side is reduced in effectiveness as hell is a key component for their larger idea. Both sides then have a restriction in their thoughts if the censor is successful.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:36 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,546,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
1st Amendment trumps feelings and protects scumbags like the Westboro bigots. If the cemetery is private they can prevent the protesters from coming in.

You can always go in front of their church and protest.
ROFLMAO! "God Hates WBC Freaks!!!!"

Old 03-07-2011, 10:48 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,523,004 times
I like how there was a flagrant conflation of hate speech with disorderly conduct in the original message. Such a good way to foster an honest conversation about the contours of the liberty of speech (sarcasm). I don't suspect that was really the intent, anyway.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:42 PM

2,430 posts, read 2,768,111 times
Default I think they are Criminal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
1st Amendment trumps feelings and protects scumbags like the Westboro bigots. If the cemetery is private they can prevent the protesters from coming in.

You can always go in front of their church and protest.
After the IRS, or Child services starts crawling around their Pews, in will change. Or the Patriot Riders or the Hell Angel's or both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies