Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2011, 07:57 AM

3,153 posts, read 3,594,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Is that Beck's latest line or something? I keep seeing it, but it doesn't hold up to scrutiny based on the growth of the economy occuring long before "we voted the Dems out of Congress" (they do still hold a majority in Senate, in case you missed that headline).

So, with 2 of the 3 in Democratic control, I'm not sure you've got a strong argument. Don't get me wrong - I'm glad Republicans have a foothold. I think the balance is best for our economy. I just don't think there's any truth to your claim.
why don't you ask some business executives who are hiring, why they are hiring
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 07:57 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,873,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It could take awhile, but eventually it turn. When it turns, it will turn fast, and there will be a panic-like frenzy to buy houses, because the prices will improve and rates will go up at the same time. We are looking to pick up some investment properties n FL now when you can still buy a condo for 30 000 and rent it for 1000+. Can't lose.
Well good luck.

I would say that property is a sound 'investment' for the long haul,as long as you don't need the money.

I would love to buy more land up in NC right now,it has dropped a huge amount since we bought.Have 10 acres next to ours we could probably get for a song.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:59 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Yes it was truly amazing to see the number of jobs shed by businesses back then...funny to think about it now.
It was scary as hell. DOW fell from 14 000 to 7 000 and businesses were cutting 700 000 jobs per month. It was a pretty empty feeling.

Quote:
What path are we even on?
Seriously I just see the fedgov. muddling through,not doing much to make things better.
What do you want them to do? Both parties are talking about cutting corporate tax rates, and that's pretty much all there is to be done. I see us on a slow road to recovery, and things will pick up on their own.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:00 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,334,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
June 9.5%
July 9.5%
August 9.6%
September 9.6%
October 9.7%
November 9.8%

Looks like an increase to me. Not a single decline in that 6 months period.

Do not lie to me, because I will look it up.
Ah, but you didn't reference July-November, you said (and I quote: "unemployment was 9.7% last February, and actually increased through November where it climbed to 9.8%. Only after December when the tax cuts were extended did hiring pick up again."

As your own words show - you specifically reference February through November - NOT July through November. Yes, from July through November the UE rate climbed, but from February to June that number fell. So the number had been falling BEFORE the tax cut were extended, then lost steam and rose again (usually this happens during a recovery when folks who had previously given up come back into the workforce as things start improving).

So, rather than accuse me of "lying to you" maybe you should have been just a bit more honest in your original post - rather than trying to make it look like there had been no improvement in the UE rate at all during that time.

Ken

Old 03-04-2011, 08:02 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdavid002 View Post
why don't you ask some business executives who are hiring, why they are hiring
We started hiring in July 2010 because business was picking up. Businesses can't afford to wait for Congress to seize opportunites. That would be the silliest business approach ever. You take the opportunity when you see one and screw the Congress.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It was scary as hell. DOW fell from 14 000 to 7 000 and businesses were cutting 700 000 jobs per month. It was a pretty empty feeling.
Scary?
Not to me....interesting however.
Haven't you always wanted to live through interesting times?

Quote:
What do you want them to do? Both parties are talking about cutting corporate tax rates, and that's pretty much all there is to be done. I see us on a slow road to recovery, and things will pick up on their own.
Oh yes,I would prefer the fedgov. do nothing much at all...ever.

Things will slowly improve of course,and some political hack or party will take the credit...

Something to remember is that people made fortunes during the Great Depression.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:05 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,755,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Is that Beck's latest line or something? I keep seeing it, but it doesn't hold up to scrutiny based on the growth of the economy occuring long before "we voted the Dems out of Congress" (they do still hold a majority in Senate, in case you missed that headline).

So, with 2 of the 3 in Democratic control, I'm not sure you've got a strong argument. Don't get me wrong - I'm glad Republicans have a foothold. I think the balance is best for our economy. I just don't think there's any truth to your claim.

The Republican House clearly has an impact. There is no way Obama would have extended the Bush tax cuts if the Republicans didn't win in November.

I don't think it is a coincidence that businesses start hiring when they see there is a counter balance to Obama.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:06 AM

4,301 posts, read 7,034,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Ah, but you didn't reference July-November, you said (and I quote: "unemployment was 9.7% last February, and actually increased through November where it climbed to 9.8%. Only after December when the tax cuts were extended did hiring pick up again."
The point is, unemployment was higher in November than it was in February. Back to the original point, you claimed unemployment had been falling a year, when evidence points to the contrary.

Only after December did unemployment drop, and in January, that was only because of a book keeping change on the part of the BLS.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:08 AM

On the BLS site,does anyone have the seasonally unadjusted figures for unemployment?

Old 03-04-2011, 08:09 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,334,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Unemployment rate in Jan. 2010 - 9.7%

Unemployment rate in Mar. 2010 -9.7%

Unemployment rate in May 2010 - 9.6%

Unemployment rate in Jul. 2010 - 9.5%

Unemployment rate in Sep.2010- 9.6%

Unemployment rate in Nov. 2010- 9.8%
There you go again SELECTIVELY choosing the months to report.
I said the UE rate has been falling for the last year or so.
In Jan of last year the rate was 9.7 ( down from a peak of 10.1 4 months earlier). By the end of the year it was down to 9.4.
That means "it was falling for the last year or so" - which is exactly what I said. Did it go down every single month? No, but the year over year rate is DOWN.

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies