Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 11:29 AM

132 posts, read 159,564 times

Advertisements

it's interesting that the average Chilean spends 7 times less on healthcare yet achieves the same life expectancy as the average american.

link: Health costs and life expectancy: Paying through the (surgically altered) nose | The Economist

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 11:31 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,546,690 times
Where would you rather get sick America or Sub-Saharan Africa?

Old 03-04-2011, 11:31 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,773,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBIF View Post
it's interesting that the average Chilean spends 7 times less on healthcare yet achieves the same life expectancy as the average american.

link: Health costs and life expectancy: Paying through the (surgically altered) nose | The Economist

The new health law will help, but it is really only an expansion of the current health system. It's not a new system.

I wish the health reform bill would have been modeled after what Singapore did with their health care system. I guess there's always round two...

Old 03-04-2011, 11:39 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,285,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Where would you rather get sick America or Sub-Saharan Africa?
Not to be obtuse, but what has Chile to do with sub-Saharan Africa?

Old 03-04-2011, 11:43 AM

45,229 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Sit tight, Obama gonna fix everfing for ya.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:44 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,409,483 times
I suspect that there isn't a single system in the world that is very efficient at health care. It is a bureaucratic nightmare and a monster. I haven't heard anyone touch on the subject of malpractice suits. If we have a national healthcare system, could doctors be sued? The governmental system of health care? Lawyers may not like this too much and may be a powerful "nay-sayer" to that manner of health care.

Old 03-04-2011, 11:47 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,637,967 times
Malpractice is a complex problem. One of the historical reasons for large medical malpractice and punitive damage awards in the US is that we assumed the burden of paying for future medical expenses would be on the person who suffered malpractice. Such a person might not be able to get insurance anymore, for instance, and would have to pay out-of-pocket. So, the malpractice award was meant to offset those types of future costs, deep into the future - for the lifespan of the victim.

In a system where healthcare does not depend on your personal level of income, that entire consideration is obviously changed.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:07 PM

4,300 posts, read 4,409,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Malpractice is a complex problem. One of the historical reasons for large medical malpractice and punitive damage awards in the US is that we assumed the burden of paying for future medical expenses would be on the person who suffered malpractice. Such a person might not be able to get insurance anymore, for instance, and would have to pay out-of-pocket. So, the malpractice award was meant to offset those types of future costs, deep into the future - for the lifespan of the victim.

In a system where healthcare does not depend on your personal level of income, that entire consideration is obviously changed.
I think many of these malpractice suits use that as a false justification (although many are valid as well). I think, many sue because they see hospitals/insurance companies as cash cows. If they have to, they will be honest in their claims and just say that they had "emotional or psychological distress" or that they just feel compensation is in order. I really don't think lawyers are going to give up on a big money maker for themselves.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:11 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,924,929 times
There are a number of issues with our health system. One major problem is the way we deliver care to people who have no insurance or very poor insurance. This is done through ER visits rather than primary care physicians. As a result, chronic diseases such as diabetes do not get managed efficiently at an early stage where delivery of care would be cheaper and more effective. Rather, we wait until there is a serious problem and then we try to fix it. This was one issue that Obama tried to resolve (very poorly imho).

The we have the issue and cost of malpractice protection. From my career in public accounting I know how much this costs ... our firm alone budgeted $300 million/year for protection

We also do not have a uniform system. We have insurance, medicaid, medicare, VA, ER visits for the uninsured, etc. etc.. All these different systems lead to bureaucratic complexity and add cost.

All that said, I don't think that we have a bad health care system. But I do not think it is any better than that found in other developed countries. The problem is that we are paying far too much for what we get in comparison. I really think we need to have a constructive debate (i.e. not the usual partisan bickering) and that should start with a set of principles of what we want from our health care system.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:12 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,103,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
I suspect that there isn't a single system in the world that is very efficient at health care. It is a bureaucratic nightmare and a monster.
Yeah, but as far as the developed 1st world goes, no healthcare system wastes more on bureaucratic/administrative costs as the US healthcare system. We run the most inefficient and wasteful system out there. It's shameful. American should be the best, not the worst.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies