Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 08:00 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,919,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
I wouldn't mind getting rid of the wife's SUV,mainly because I don't like it.

Would prefer something more comfortable on long trips....like a full size BMW.
My wife's Audi A6 gets 25-27 mpg and is outstanding on long trips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 08:03 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,392,923 times
An SUV doesn't necessarily make you safer. It depends on the type of accident.

The old rule of thumb a few years back for buying a hybrid was that you had to keep it at least 10 years or drive it more than 20,000 miles per year to justify the price premium (I believe I remember Clark Howard talking about this on his radio program). Seeing that hybrid prices haven't come down that much the past few years, that is probably still roughly accurate.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:04 AM

45,373 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Why should anyone feel guilty?

Old 03-06-2011, 08:09 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEDIAMOND64 View Post
Do you think move SUV's will be traded in especially in warmer climates or the gas prices will not affect what people drive?

Over time, gas prices do affect people's buying decisions and driving habits. If our gas prices increased to the prices people in Europe pay, we would see a huge shift in purchases and driving habits.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:10 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I think that is a great point. We have two cars and mine is a 1998 Mustang which is in outstanding condition and very well maintained. Gas mileage is okay .. around 20 and 25 on long highway trips. If I sold it I might get around $8,000 and a new hybrid will probably cost more than $30,000 (I haven't looked into prices). How long and how many miles would it take to recover $22,000+ of investment?

I have no problem with hybrids or with electric cars and they probably are the future sometime down the road. But auto companies are perfectly capable of building regular cars that get very good gas mileage without sacrificing performance. In fact, they are already doing it because customer demand has shifted.
Yep.
European cars seem to get better mileage than US cars.
They are generally smaller cars, but are certainly more efficient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Over time, gas prices do affect people's buying decisions and driving habits. If our gas prices increased to the prices people in Europe pay, we would see a huge shift in purchases and driving habits.
No kidding.
People around here sometimes drive to Czech for petrol.
Yesterday, the Czech price for petrol was 34 koruny/liter. That's about $2.
Prices are expected to hit €1.70+/liter this week. That's a minimum of $2.37/liter or $8.97/gallon.
www.xe.com

FYI: 1 gallon = 3.785 liters.

Last edited by chielgirl; 03-06-2011 at 08:22 AM..

Old 03-06-2011, 08:14 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
My SUV (paid for) gets me 20mpg, but it's for bad weather, hauling stuff, taking dogs around, etc.
My sports car did get me 11/17, but I got a new one that's faster and gets 16/26...so I'm all ready for bad gas prices!

Old 03-06-2011, 08:20 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times
I drive a sedan because it's physically easier for short me to get into with bad knees than an SUV. If not for the short part and the knees, I'd tool around in a truck. Short legs and SUVs don't go together.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:24 AM

3,857 posts, read 6,956,563 times
Back in the 80's we had a diesel and then a propane car. They saved money on fuel but the hassle wasn't worth it. IMHO you're better off with an efficient mainstream car and if you are buying new get an extended bumper-to-bumper warranty.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:25 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times
I was changing shocks (with a mechanic friend) and a tie-rod end on my RVR this morning and the guy in the bay beside me had a Hummer. He said he barely drives it, but spent so much on it that he'll never get his money back. He can't win.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:25 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Umm source or is this your personal opinion?
So you are telling me that its the GOP and Bush writing legislation requiring car companies to make box cars that you'll get crushed in if you get hit in an accident? Thats odd.. I thought the GOP was all for supporting larger cars, (which are safer) so they can support their gas producing buddies, and now you are telling me they dont..

You cant have it both ways..
Either the GOP wants people to drive gas guzzlers, which are safer, so they can support their gas buddies
or the GOP wants people to drive smaller cars which are less safe

Which is it? Can you list one legislation passed by the GOP to make cars smaller because I can list numerous ones by Democrats..

Source it? Absolutely
http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2...-and-suvs.html
"With their size and weight, SUVs are still the safest vehicles for the novice teen driver,” said Art Spinella, general manager of CNW Marketing Research.

And you guys want them to be done away with..
Ooh wait.. i'll source some more
http://www.aaat.com/Auto-Transport-I...es-size-matter?
Of the 16 most dangerous vehicles, 11 were small cars and small trucks.

Yep.. you want smaller cars do you not?

From the same link..

Why small cars won’t keep you safe?

While our environment is pushing us to make and sell smaller, lighter cars that meet the high fuel economy standards, safety advocates worry that meeting those requirements would result in cars that are less safe in a crash.

The laws of Physics
Size is important because mass, coupled with acceleration, determines the force of a crash. Injuries depend on the forces that act on the occupants in the car, not on how much external damage the car sustains. The force of a crash turns on two key attributes: the weight of the crashing vehicle, which determines how much speed must be absorbed during the impact, and the size of the vehicle, which often determines how close the front of the vehicle is to the driver--an essential indicator of the extent of injuries to the legs and torso.

Seriously.. did you guys never study these things in school?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies