U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: How is the employment in your area
Getting worse 8 28.57%
Stagnate 15 53.57%
Improving 2 7.14%
Booming 3 10.71%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-11-2011, 03:56 PM
 
8,581 posts, read 8,924,308 times
Reputation: 2382

Advertisements

How is employment in your area-and what area is it? Do you think things are turning around , what about Obamas reelection effort's as they are related to the economy? Here in the north west it is DEAD! Now some think it moves east to west, which I might agree , because when we were first hearing about a recession we were still booming out here now people are talking about it being over, but I would argue it is still going down here. My thought is If Obama lets gas prices go to $5 a gallon , any recovery that is happening is going to tank, and Obama will not get reelected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-11-2011, 04:08 PM
 
Location: right here
4,119 posts, read 4,593,903 times
Reputation: 4833
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
How is employment in your area-and what area is it? Do you think things are turning around , what about Obamas reelection effort's as they are related to the economy? Here in the north west it is DEAD! Now some think it moves east to west, which I might agree , because when we were first hearing about a recession we were still booming out here now people are talking about it being over, but I would argue it is still going down here. My thought is If Obama lets gas prices go to $5 a gallon , any recovery that is happening is going to tank, and Obama will not get reelected.
Well here in Florida it sucks-and it's getting worse-gas is almost $4.00 a gallon and I believe that jobs are even more scarce (good paying jobs at least).

I can only hope Obama is a one termer...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2011, 04:12 PM
 
Location: Stuck in NE GA right now
4,585 posts, read 10,476,515 times
Reputation: 6597
Getting worse here in GA, layoffs continue at an alarming rate, the unemployment rate went from 10.2 to 10.4%. Lots and lots of scam jobs listed locally. Food and gas prices are going up and up and up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2011, 04:20 PM
 
Location: Honolulu, HI
4,937 posts, read 5,069,936 times
Reputation: 6175
The numbers where I live suggest things are improving, but I'm not buying it. We have a ginormous homeless population that is growing and I know a lot of people out of work. My wife cannot find work and many of the companies in her industry have been laying workers off and closing branches. So, I'm going to vote "getting worse".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2011, 04:22 PM
 
Location: Atlanta metro
5,645 posts, read 3,972,652 times
Reputation: 982
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
How is employment in your area-and what area is it? Do you think things are turning around , what about Obamas reelection effort's as they are related to the economy? Here in the north west it is DEAD! Now some think it moves east to west, which I might agree , because when we were first hearing about a recession we were still booming out here now people are talking about it being over, but I would argue it is still going down here. My thought is If Obama lets gas prices go to $5 a gallon , any recovery that is happening is going to tank, and Obama will not get reelected.
As an employer who is basically always hiring (service industry), I would say the jobs are there but people don't want them. The vast majority of what I get are actually high school kids applying...they don't NEED jobs. Where the heck are the truly unemployed people who have families to support?? What we pay our employees is pretty standard for the industry, and honestly, if I was out of work, a 99er and had a family that was about to go without eating, etc., I would be applying EVERYWHERE. One lady asked if we could pay her under the table so she could keep her unemployment. Obviously the answer was no...and she is probably regretting taking the job b/c she basically sucks at it and makes no tips, then somehow tries to blame us for not being busy enough (new startup...takes time to get steady business).

The problem is the mindset of the people who are unemployed, not that there are no jobs. The jobs are there, people just think they can do better. Well, here's a newsflash, right now, you can't!

P.S. The only ones who think it's over are the libbies who kowtow to Obummer.

P.P.S. Gas prices skyrocketing will most assuredly kill the economy. It'll be an easy scapegoat and I can see it going the other way...don't blame Obama, blame the crises in the Middle East. People need to recognize that Obama has done nothing to really help economic growth, aside from throw money where it doesn't belong and finally agree to extending the Bush tax cuts. Obamacare is a huge problem that will take time to solve and businesses will not start hiring en masse until it is figured out. Prices in general are indeed going up, but people seem to not even notice that, unless they really pay attention to the prices at the grocery store (people always recognize the prices at the pump, though). I obviously wish that Obama will lose the election so we can get things rolling again, but I'm not sure Americans can wait that long to get some real help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2011, 04:27 PM
 
25,060 posts, read 22,106,910 times
Reputation: 11576
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
As an employer who is basically always hiring (service industry), I would say the jobs are there but people don't want them. The vast majority of what I get are actually high school kids applying...they don't NEED jobs. Where the heck are the truly unemployed people who have families to support?? What we pay our employees is pretty standard for the industry, and honestly, if I was out of work, a 99er and had a family that was about to go without eating, etc., I would be applying EVERYWHERE. One lady asked if we could pay her under the table so she could keep her unemployment. Obviously the answer was no...and she is probably regretting taking the job b/c she basically sucks at it and makes no tips, then somehow tries to blame us for not being busy enough (new startup...takes time to get steady business).

The problem is the mindset of the people who are unemployed, not that there are no jobs. The jobs are there, people just think they can do better. Well, here's a newsflash, right now, you can't!

P.S. The only ones who think it's over are the libbies who kowtow to Obummer.
Seems to be that the people most likely to get jobs are the youngest (18-ish) because they are cheap and not demanding with benefits and salary, and the middle aged who have families to take care of and the extensive work experience to back them up. Those that fall between college graduate and right before parenthood seem to be hit the hardest, but that's just speculation from a compilation of news stories I've been reading since 2008. Gas prices will almost certainty soften any kind of recovery taking place, and the Middle East crisis, depending how well Saudi Arabia keeps the protests under control, can make oil shoot up very high past $4-5 per gallon possibly if it gets bad.

And now the Japanese earthquake may affect the economy as well, since Japan's economy is tightly linked to ours and Japanese companies provide many jobs to Americans
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2011, 04:51 PM
 
Location: Warren County and loving it!
5,079 posts, read 7,245,272 times
Reputation: 2557
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Seems to be that the people most likely to get jobs are the youngest (18-ish) because they are cheap and not demanding with benefits and salary, and the middle aged who have families to take care of and the extensive work experience to back them up. Those that fall between college graduate and right before parenthood seem to be hit the hardest, but that's just speculation from a compilation of news stories I've been reading since 2008. Gas prices will almost certainty soften any kind of recovery taking place, and the Middle East crisis, depending how well Saudi Arabia keeps the protests under control, can make oil shoot up very high past $4-5 per gallon possibly if it gets bad.

And now the Japanese earthquake may affect the economy as well, since Japan's economy is tightly linked to ours and Japanese companies provide many jobs to Americans
Maybe some of those companies will now have to plant American roots....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2011, 05:51 PM
 
Location: OCEAN BREEZES AND VIEWS SAN CLEMENTE
19,899 posts, read 15,287,998 times
Reputation: 6451
Can you imagine with the magnitude of this Japan's earthquake, the dyanamics of how this is going to impact them. Most of the States i have family and friends in are each complaining, in the E.C. and the W.C. and in the S. TOO. I know people who are losing jobs to less qualified individuals, in order to save money, one who was in a supervisiory position after 20 yrs of service was let go, her employees are livid that this happened, they do not like the young fellow that is taking her place. After 20 years of dedication on her job, this can happen to anyone.

Housing in Calif, too me will not be what it once was, and too me still hurting, too many not quite as many as there was but still too many foreclosures. Small businesses seem to have a hard time staying afloat. Chain's are doing well, your home depot's and lowe's Sears seems to be doing ok but not J.C. Penny's. The malls seem to have been hit, and some stores have gone out of business. Living spaces, i know people who work there, they seem to be doing ok as is Mathis Bros. Overall, i see that the economy are a whole as taken a hit out here, and in the E.C. where i have family they each are complaining when are things going to get better. I do hope it does get better, but my eyes and ears tell me something esle, other then what the media portrays. I do know quite a few Americans working in Japan, hope they are ok, my heart at this time does go out to all people in Japan. I also know people who there hours are being restricted. I want it too get better. Gas prices are thru the roof out here, highest in the Country, it sucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2011, 06:08 PM
 
29 posts, read 15,032 times
Reputation: 19
Here in South Dakota its booming. Got the 3rd best unemployment rate in the country so i'm happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2011, 07:22 PM
 
8,581 posts, read 8,924,308 times
Reputation: 2382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheretogo!? View Post
Here in South Dakota its booming. Got the 3rd best unemployment rate in the country so i'm happy.
Oil industry?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top