Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2011, 11:18 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,132,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
So you're saying the States have the right to practice religion?
Why is it that every time I try to explain something to you, you respond by misquoting me? I said nothing of the sort. I said precisely what I meant, and meant precisely what I said.

States cannot practice religions. They are not people. They can through various means endorse them, and doing that is ILLEGAL.

Quote:
Look...I'm just challenging you to actually think for yourself instead of merely accepting what your high school teacher told you, or what you read in an ACLU statement. Can you do that?

Just think about it.
I did.

Moreover I've spent years studying it...far beyond high school. And them some.

You need to listen to what people are trying to tell you here. You are utterly wrong about this whole issue, and seriously misinformed and uneducated about the law.

So I'm challenging you to get more educated about this, because it is clear you really don't have the foggiest idea. What people are telling you here is not a matter of opinion, it is a matter of fact and law.

For some reason, you choose to resist learning about this.

Quote:
They interpret the laws, according to the intent of the Founders. Why would the Founders put something in the Constitution against what they actually believed?
THEY DIDN'T.

AND....

WE
AMENDED
THE
CONSTITUTION
ANYWAY.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 11:19 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,339,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
It does not alter the FACT that teams often PRAY before the game.
If the prayer is STUDENT initiated, no problem.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
At issue here is that you think we should interpret the Constitution in such a narrow way that we get one viewpoint--whether or not it was what was held by the Framers--as long as it meets your point of view.
I think nothing of the sort. I and others are just trying - in vain apparently - to tell you what the dang law is and why.

For some reason, you aren't getting it.

Quote:
I think instead we'd be better off actually paying attention to little things like intent. Otherwise, we get folks that will find a way to twist the words as written to the point that they are actually totally opposite to what they were actually written as.
Zing!

Now you understand one of the reasons we have separation of powers. It is the prerogative of the COURTS to be the watchdog of constitutionality.

You keep saying the intent of the Framers has been violated. It hasn't, and many here have explained why in detail.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:24 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
It's only unconstitutional ("illegal") for an authority-figure in a local school to lead prayer. If it's the students doing it of their own accord, it's fine.
Not so.

Several years ago, in the State of Texas, a group of STUDENTS wanted to lead a prayer before a football game. The courts said no.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Not so.

Several years ago, in the State of Texas, a group of STUDENTS wanted to lead a prayer before a football game. The courts said no.
Show us the case.

Because I bet you it wasn't nearly as simple as that.

Cite, please.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:29 AM

Prayer in government is a normal day to day thing. For instance, as taxpayers, we pay for a Chaplin for each House of Congress and each day, a prayer is said in the House and Senate.

Our elected leaders "pray" in public daily - and invoke the name of God all the time (...and may God Bless America).

In God we trust is on our currency

Government documents invoke "God" where it says in the year of our Lord

And there is many more examples.

For some of you to get "hot" over something like the topic of this thread is, well IMO, foolish.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Show us the case.

Because I bet you it wasn't nearly as simple as that.

Cite, please.

freedomforum.org: Supreme Court bans student-led prayer at football games

Old 03-14-2011, 11:33 AM

Court Tackles Texas footballgame prayers

Old 03-14-2011, 11:34 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times
Quote:
Not so.

You mean the case where school officials gave a couple of students control over the PA system so that they could broadcast prayer to everyone (religious or not)? This one? IIRC, the reason it was denied was because of the use of the PA system.

That's a bit different from my high school, where students met up (of their own accord) by a flagpole every morning for their own private prayer session, don't you agree?

Old 03-14-2011, 11:34 AM

As I suspected, you left out an important detail:

"In its most significant school prayer ruling in years, the Supreme Court today ruled that Texas public schools may not begin football games with organized prayer, even when recited by a student."

It was organized by the school, and therefore unconstitutional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies