Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 07:21 PM

8,131 posts, read 4,331,170 times

Advertisements

Black Church Leaders Ask for Forgiveness From the LGBT Community

In an unusual meeting, several ministers apologize to gays about how they have been treated.
A rather unusual event recently took place in the Washington, D.C., suburb of Fort Washington, Md. Several ministers of black churches met with members of the LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender) community -- and formally apologized for what the organizers described as the church's judgmental attitude toward individuals who experience same-sex attraction and their loved ones.
Although a sincere apology is often the first step to restoring a fractured relationship, our culture has made public apologies into a performance art, characterized by carefully scripted PR creations and only token acknowledgments of actually having done wrong.
It was with this skepticism that I attended the forum at Carolina Missionary Baptist Church on Feb. 19, billed as an opportunity for people to express their thoughts and feelings in a safe environment. Anthony E. Moore, pastor of Carolina, moderated the dialogue and stated up front that the forum was not intended to be one in which the church took a theological position on homosexuality. My pastor, Keith Battle, attended on behalf of Zion Church, and other sponsoring churches included Pilgrim Baptist Church in D.C. and New Vision Church in Bowie, Md.
When I arrived, someone was recounting what it has been like to be born a man while feeling, and ultimately living, like a woman. The speaker explained that she turned to prostitution and drugs after experiencing rejection from members of her family and church. She said that eventually she came back to church, committed her life to Christ and started to translate her pain into purpose.
There were similar stories throughout the two-hour forum, all with one common theme: The church, the one place that should represent the epitome of love, was often the most uncaring and unsafe place for these individuals when they were at their most vulnerable. Bishop Kwabena Rainey Cheeks, the openly gay pastor of Inner Light Ministries, a nondenominational church in Washington, bluntly declared that "the most dangerous place for a gay and lesbian person is the black church."

Black Church Leaders: Seeking Forgiveness From the LGBT Community
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 07:32 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,340,776 times
Anything to keep votes for Obama.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:37 PM

8,131 posts, read 4,331,170 times
Attitudes are bad but judgement is good. We must speak the truth in love. It is far better to be judged now than later. This is exactly what the writer missed and what made the article so sad to me.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:39 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
Anything to keep votes for Obama.
Even by the standards of the worst case of Obama Derangement Syndrome that pretty out there.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:45 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,963,301 times
It's about time they extended an olive branch.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:55 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,632,523 times
Their coffers must be low and they figure this is a good way to get more donors.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:03 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,589,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
Attitudes are bad but judgement is good. We must speak the truth in love. It is far better to be judged now than later. This is exactly what the writer missed and what made the article so sad to me.
Perhaps you should go back and read the Bible. Specifically the passage where Jesus tells people to "Judge Not Lest Ye Be Judged". If you have trouble finding the pericope, please let me know. I will post the reference and the EXACT text in English, Hebrew, Greek and whatever other language you might be capable of reading.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:08 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,533,364 times
Me thinks this type of behaviour by Pastor Eddie Long is likely the "real" reasoning behind this new attitude>>>>>

Eddie Long, Atlanta Bishop, Accused Of Sexual Abuse By 4th Male Parishioner

Anti-Gay Bishop Eddie Long Accused Of Having Sex With Men! Hypocrite!*|*PoliticalArticles.NET

Bishop Eddie Long (PICTURES): Who is The Pastor Accused in Sex Scandal? - Crimesider - CBS News

Accused pastor crusaded against homosexuals - CNN

Old 03-17-2011, 09:09 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,340,776 times
Now that is real on the DL.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:14 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,466,883 times
That's amazing. I actually went to one of the churches listed a few times. They didn't get that I was gay--they just thought I was a guy. But I'm glad to know they are making steps to mend past wounds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies